Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #1

Finicky Older Car

Anyone have a finicky older car they keep .... even though it takes a lot of money to keep it going? We have an older BMW ... a '98 750iL. Bought it 18 months ago. We've put in a new: Battery, Radiator, brakes, center console/arm rest. Had transmission flushed with new filter (husband insisted).

Hubby wants to do the plugs AND wires himself. Just ordered all that and CO2 sensors for $1200+ ... just for parts.

Went to BMW dealer/service for oil change. According to them ... need approx. $5K of repairs. That's IN ADDITION to the $1200+ mentioned. Apparently EVERYTHING is leaking. Radiator, oil, power steering hoses. We ARE going elsewhere for 2nd qoute. ONLY paid for oil change. NONE of the repairs are engine related. There's replace radiator (most expensive),front main seal,Quibo (flex coupler), thrust rod bushings, rear ball joints, etc.

IF you have a finicky car .... how do you justify the money? We keep saying ... OK we'll do this and we're done. But .... it's never done!

p.s. Our older truck is doing same to us. Sucking dollars out of our pockets every year. From July 2010 to December, 2012 we sunk $8,000+ into our truck. SOME of it elective upgrades .... power mirrors, injectors, etc... But MOST of it repairs (again, nothing engine related though).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #2

I have 2 project cars I always dump money into. Sometimes because I have to or other times because I want to. Sometimes I beat the crap out of them just so I can break something so I have something to fix

Mine are old old though, 63 and 65 models.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:58 PM   #3

We would LOVE to have a 60's something muscle car. Me, it's the Nova. Hubby, it's the GTO ragtop. We keep saying someday ... but not with these 2 cars!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marielw824 View Post
We would LOVE to have a 60's something muscle car. Me, it's the Nova. Hubby, it's the GTO ragtop. We keep saying someday ... but not with these 2 cars!
I've always had a soft spot for the 2 door Nova, great car IMO.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #5

Every body has their own priorities but, for me there's two kinds of cars, daily drivers and hobby cars. Daily drivers are easy, when repairs cost more than the payment on a new one, its replaced. Hobby cars get a lot of slack in this regard just because of the emotional attachment. Still, I try to stay away from ones that don't have some collector value or following and try not to invest more thn its worth. Win some...lose some. It's my hobby...not a business for me.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

I am wanting to sell ... but DH doesn't. He feels he won't get the power and performance even in a brand NEW today's car (NOT a brand NEW BMW ... can't afford it) that he has in the older BMW. I can see that .... BUT there's a time when you're throwing good money into bad.

That's the other thing. We haven't had a car payment in about 10 years and DH can't get his mind around paying a monthly car payment.

THANKS though ... appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #7

I feel your pain!! There is nothing cheap about owning a BMW. We have a 2008 5 series and while we were covered by warranty the first three years the cost to service them is absolutely crazy!! The one that makes me freaking cringe everytime I think about it is how much it cost me last year to have the stealership put a new battery in the darn thing....$575 bucks!!

Ugh...if my wife didn't love that car so much it would be finding a new home
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Yeah ... I love our BMW when I can just turn the key and drive. typical ... probably.
: > )
Old 02-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I have a 94 Jeep and I love it. Just recently it started acting a tad strange when backing into parking spots after long drives. Turns out to be an $1,800.00 part called a vicous coupler in the transfer case. Worse case scenario is that once the coupler totally quits working my full time four wheel drive will become full time two wheel drive and I'll shop for another much newer 4 X 4.

I tend to wander the mountain roads in BC fishing and doon again hunting so i need the 4 X 4 for that purpose. Can't complain though its got almost 400,000 Kilometers which is very close to a 1/4 million miles (248,548.5 mi.) without anything major going wrong. Brakes done three times, blew a water pump but changed it myself and had a severe overheat problem that was caused by a worn fan clutch while pulling our TT up a mountain pass on the Crowsnest here in BC. So I am happy with it but this SUV isn't worth the price of the part needed so i will wait her out then buy something else.

I did the exotic sports cars thing when I was much younger so we don't need to revisit that phase. 1974 Dodge Polara 330 with a 426 4 speed was as costly as I can remember but it sure was a fun dragging vehicle.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Some have them as hobby cars...now.
I had them as daily drivers...back when.
55 Ford Custom
55 Chevy Belair
60 Plymouth Fury
62 Ford Galaxy
62 Ford Fairlane
65 MalibuuuuWaaaaah SS

The most expensive one set me back $850. Total in all of them, $1700. Could never afford them now.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #11

BMW=Bring My Wallet
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
89 Mercedes 190e. Straight 6, 25mpg. Had it since 93. Basic maintenance and turn the key. 160k on clock. I am 60, reckon it will get me to 80 :-)
95 RangeRoverSWB County 145k turn key and cruise. Toad transport. Until I drop :-)
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

If you don't have the skills to work on an older big Beemer, don't buy it. Just wait until you get to water pump and brakes (both known weak spots).

You can buy the 12 cyl cars for next to nothing for a reason......

There's no reason to buy BMW wires unless they have the coils on the ends - anyone can make wires for the big six - nothing magic there.

Just don't buy BMW parts - there's a huge aftermarket of better stuff @ 1/2 the price.

The other problem with luxury cars is the tendency for first owners to treat them as lease-back throw-aways. the second owner can't afford the maintenance and the third owner just doesn't do any.

Use oil-eater, simple green, and a pressure washer and clean everything up, then drive a few more thousand miles, and the number of "leaks" may be much less, it's just the grunge gets spread about and accumulates over the years.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #14

There is always a price to be paid for the opportunity to own a "driver's" car like the Bimmer. My only experience owning one was an '88 325es with the ETA tractor engine. Marvelous to drive and surprisingly economical. It had its share of idiosyncrasies, but was a joy to have. Each successive 3 series has gotten tech-I-er and less reliable. Audis are the same.

The 7 series never appealed to me, but a 635 CSL would be tasty...however, it's moot as I don't make enough to support one any more <sad>.