Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Does anyone know how to add the sites you go to on your desk top. I find Firefox will only add them to bookmarks, But you cant add them directly to your desktop like you can in I.E. Thats why I dont use Firefox
Go to website, then copy the URL (CTRL-C will do that)

now go to desktop, right click and choose NEW then Shortcut

now CTRL-V (paste URL) in the requestor, Enter a name and finish.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For me, NoScript is a must. There is a learning curve however and you have to be willing to put in the time to "whitelist" what scripts you are willing to allow to be run. Practice on a known site like CNN, etc to see what the effects are of not allowing scripts to run.
I gave up on Forecast Fox because of the Accuweather popups. You will even get a popup when clicking on a NWS weather alert, which is not cool in my book. I searched around and found Weather Watcher Live, which does the same thing without all the popups. Of course, NoScript helps to keep the popups and other BS down to a dull roar.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:40 PM   #17

I've got noscript installed. Will play with it.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Does anyone know how to add the sites you go to on your desk top. I find Firefox will only add them to bookmarks, But you cant add them directly to your desktop like you can in I.E. Thats why I dont use Firefox
Even easier, hit the "tile" icon next to the red X in the upper right hand corner, now you can see part of the desktop, grab the icon (place arrow over icon and left click and hold) just to the left of the address bar and drag it to the desktop. Bingo instant shortcut on the desktop.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #19
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Web Mail Notifier if you use web mail. and I recommend the use of web mail. (Safer than mail clients like outlook express) If you use web mail then web mail ad blocker.......
If Outlook or Outlook Express is configured correctly with the "zone" set to the "Restricted," in 12 years of using it I never had a security problem. So set the Zone to Restricted and don't worry about it.

Some Info

Yeah! Yeah! but it makes it more secure.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does anybody else use the "Top Sites" option of Firefox? You go to your favorite web site, then right-click anywhere on the page - near the bottom of the resulting menu is an entry for "Add to Top Sites". When you select that entry, the page will be stored for you. When you open Firefox the "Top Sites" page will be your home page, and it will show each top site you have selected. There is enough room for 15 sites to be displayed without scrolling.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
How do I know some of these add-ons aren't actually adding to the tracking?
Ah, Grasshopper, now you are learning.

That Ghosterv, for example, asks you to join in reporting what it's blocking.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #22

They won't get if from me.

Most of these ad-on sites have elaborate web pages. Must be from all the donations. Yeah, that's it all the donations.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
For the PC I use a Hosts file.

Some have reported that it slows down their machine, but I have not had a problem. Of course, I'm retired and have more time than I know what to do with, well almost. I just let Windows boot up and go get a cup of coffee while it is doing so.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:48 PM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to OldPugVA
Just use your browser on the Internet. Unless you are heading to questionable locations, you should not run in to issues. Otherwise you are going to 'waste' a lot of time tracking stuff that is not worth tracking.

If you are concerned about privacy - set the browser to delete cookies on close and not accept third-party cookies.

Most of us use the web in a responsible manner. If you are the 'norm' - you won't have any issues.

The real threat is your email (Phishing, Spear-Phishing, etc.). Just use common sense and don't ever respond to anything financially via email. Always go to the the browser and to your financial institution using the actual URL or your previous bookmark/favorite (not by clicking on the link in an email or via another web page).
OldPugVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #25

Pug,

I pretty much have everything set the way you suggested. The registered version of Malwarebytes helps to keep me honest. I deleted some bloatware years ago and my boot time decreased by 1:20 minutes. I have been computing since 1985 and have never gotten a virus.

Thx for the tips.