Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
ROFLOL...My first week as an apprintece machinist I was being taught how to cut threads on a lathe. I quickley got out of the bad habit of leaveing the lathe chuck key in the lathe chuck. The journeyman quickly got tired of my bad ( very dangerous) habit and grabbed the chuck key and said "Follow me.... I wana show ya how to use something" and I followed him outside and watched in disbelief as he tossed the dang chuck key as far as he could. "Now son..ya dont wanna use yer brain....use yer feeeet!!!!!.

Decades latter I taught machine shop at a JC and after a few years one of my student's I had, greeted me in a store. Of course he brought up the time I did the ole chuck toss to him, he stated that it sure made an impression as he just did the same to an employee working for him in his machine shop.

I guess the moral to the story is that sometimes, a littlebit proactive humor is a good teacher.

Have a great day...John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Ease up PHorse, just a right of passage for a builder. Every trade has them
O.K. I am sorry, I am easss-in. Thank you

Old 01-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
Was it a life lesson? Probably not.
Hey who asked you. You're just the Op.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If your boss threw your hammer he damn well had ought to have paid for it, and as far as him shopping for you and then taking it out of your check?Without asking? You brought just what he asked you to bring! By the sounds of it your equipment just was old, could you drive a nail with it?Did he take you to lunch and pay?

There are hammers, hammers, and hammers.

For example I used to use a very lightl weight hammer Roofing, this enabled me to better feel the quality of the wood the nail was going in. It was also a straight claw, not a curved claw.

I used a heavier curved claw for general banging around nailing.

And a 20 oz long handled FRAMING hammer,, that's what was needed for what the Original Poster was doing for a living.

I like Eastwing one piece hammers by the way, Head and handle are forged from a single piece of metal, with a leather thong wrapped on the handle. I used to have a few that just sort of sat in my hand, with my fingers fitting into well worn groves in the leather, A perfect fit.

The framing hammer I had was an Eastwing too, I think it had a rubber grip though, may have it confused with another brand (i had 2, one was an Eastwing)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

First day in A&P (airframe/powerplant) school in 1980, our first electrical class was about safety... The teacher , an older guy who had been around aircraft forever, welded his gold wedding ring to his finger.... Very high amperage in aircraft systems... Something to remember when working on any electrical stuff, especially small tight spaces such as an rv !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #20

A former co-worker told about his first day going to work for IBM in the early 70's.
Born in the Kentucky hill country, he was very proud as he walked into the IBM office that day with his new 3 piece suit, white shirt & tie. About lunch time his manager took him aside and explained at IBM he also needed to wear shoes to work.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
A former co-worker told about his first day going to work for IBM in the early 70's.
Born in the Kentucky hill country, he was very proud as he walked into the IBM office that day with his new 3 piece suit, white shirt & tie. About lunch time his manager took him aside and explained at IBM he also needed to wear shoes to work.
Now That's Funny !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:10 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
I was in the Navy with a guy from WV (or as he would say West by God Virginia). He told me he had not seen store bought shoes until he joined the Navy.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
My first day at a new job as tech support in high tech manufacturing was in an ice storm. I arrived at work after narrowly avoiding 3 accidents on frozen roads. I was in for an hour and they sent me home due to the weather. Walking back to the car in the lot in dress shoes was fun. The windshield and doors already had half inch of ice on them and I chipped at the door to get it open.

It's your first day - I wasn't going to miss being at work. I continued there for 10 years before going to the next adventure.

wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote