Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
First trip, Seattle to Disneyland

Had a little motorhome some years ago, ran the dickens out of it traveling from Seattle to Colorado and Idaho, then sold it when the kids moved out.

Got the urge for another motorhome, and got a new-to-us 1996 34' Rexhall Aerbus last month. Spent several weekends making sure it was road-ready, loaded up our now-adult kids and grandkids (3, 4, and 10) and headed off to Disneyland. What an adventure...

Most of the trip was in 100+ degree heat, and we had the genny running consistently for the coach AC. Twenty-two hours into the trip, the genny quit. Fortunately, it was only four hours outside of LA, the sun had just gone down, so we made the rest of the trip without the brutality of the sun beating down on us.

Found two RV electrical techs in Anaheim, but neither was available to come and troubleshoot the generator. It became clear we would make the trip home without it.

What happened to the freeways in SoCal? I lived there from 1974 to 1986, and don't remember them being in this rough of shape...worst roads of the trip. Just east of the Grapevine, all the way to Anaheim, I-5 was a mess...some places under construction, many places that needed some severe rehab. The ride was, quite literally, bone jarring.

Returning home, the temps dropped to the 70's/80's, and we were able to moderate the temp in the coach with just dash air. My concern was the kids getting too hot, and getting cranky, but didn't hear a peep out of them. Nice.

This motorhome came with the old style TV up in the front center over the driver/passenger...I don't recall exactly where we were, but all of a sudden that TV fell out of it's hole. My wife was in passenger seat, swiveled to face me, legs outstretched on the doghouse. Her ankle took the full hit of the TV, swelling up nicely. It bounced off her ankle, and into the front table, snapping the leg off the table. I'm thankful the screen didn't break...an imploding TV tube can be quite hazardous.

A little later, my wife went to the back bedroom to check on the sleeping grandkids, only to find the rear TV had fallen out of it's hole, landing on the bed next to the kids. Seeing how the bed is a foot away from the wall, the TV did more than fall...it launched out of the hole.

Pulled into a KOA on the way home, only to discover one of the closet door retainers had pulled out of the wall. I'm certain it was the LA freeways that contributed to all of the above.

Motor purred along for the near 2400 mile trip, not using one drop of oil. Each mountain pass was a learning point in speed, gearing, and patience, with 7.5 mpg as the final number.

At the end of it all, it was a nice time with family, with both kids and adults reminiscing about Disneyland all the way home.

John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Aren't RV's fun. BTW, you are correct with Ca roads. I lived in San Diego for 30 yrs. They widen the freeways and then let then go to the dogs. Glad you made it home without to many other issues.

2009 Yamaha V star 1300
Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #3

Well, you're 2 steps ahead of most of us with older class A's. Most of us are still trying to figure out how to get the old TVs out of the wholes. Hope your wife is OK.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupevilleDF View Post
Well, you're 2 steps ahead of most of us with older class A's. Most of us are still trying to figure out how to get the old TVs out of the wholes. Hope your wife is OK.
She's getting better, thanks.

Regarding the TV...it your's is installed anything like mine was, maybe a speed bump at 40 will do the trick.

Seriously, our TV's were a questionable install. Bottom screws just pulled out, and the side screws were just for show...not screwed into the TV at all.
John USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear that the wife is on the mend and thank the dear Lord that the grandkids weren't hurt!
On the Road with 8 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote