Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #1

First yr of the diesel regen systems

What was the first year for diesel motorhomes with the regen system?
Thanks
RoadDog
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2007 I believe.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #3

I did a search of the forum but no luck getting an answer.
Also Google it to no avail.
So any diesel before 2007 should not have the Regen system or a the DPF.
That sure will open up a lot more diesel units to look at. Been trying to stay around 2000 or below for some reason. I think I read something somewhere about problems with the systems.

Anyway thanks again.
RoadDog
Old 11-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #4

My 07 Monaco had the ISX 15 and both the engine & coach had 06 build dates. Only EPA stuff was an EGR valve that's easy to deal with. No DEF etc. By 08 I would guess it have it all. Between 08-10 all manufacturers (engine) were dealing with constantly moving targets. I think it settled down around 2011.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
As long as the environmentalists have control of the EPA, I don't believe that any system will be completely perfected... too many moving targets for the manufacturers to try and hit.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #6

The EPA required new diesel emission standards for all engines built after 1/1/07 of 15 ppm sulfur content down from 500 ppm. To accomplish this, many diesel engine manufacturers added a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to the exhaust of the engines.

The interesting part of this story is that due to the additional cost of the exhaust after-treatment systems to meet the new standards, the engine manufacturers built ahead and had significant inventory of the pre-1/1/07 engines which were passed on to the chassis manufacturers.

The net result is that many of the manufacturers had enough chassis's built in advance to fulfill a full year's + of inventory needs.

Therefore , you will be hard pressed to find any diesel motorhome with a DPF system any sooner than model year 2009.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:36 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My '08 has a DPF.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
My '08 has a DPF.
As does ours.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
The EPA required new diesel emission standards for all engines built after 1/1/07 of 15 ppm sulfur content down from 500 ppm. To accomplish this, many diesel engine manufacturers added a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) to the exhaust of the engines.

The interesting part of this story is that due to the additional cost of the exhaust after-treatment systems to meet the new standards, the engine manufacturers built ahead and had significant inventory of the pre-1/1/07 engines which were passed on to the chassis manufacturers.

The net result is that many of the manufacturers had enough chassis's built in advance to fulfill a full year's + of inventory needs.

Therefore , you will be hard pressed to find any diesel motorhome with a DPF system any sooner than model year 2009.
Yep. My math was off by one year. No 2007 model year coaches with a DPF system as they built ahead (mine included). I know some manufacturers had enough to carry into the 2008 model year, but as reported, there are 2008 model year coaches with DPF systems.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

The 15PPM Sulfur content in diesel fuel is a requirement for the DPF to work efficiently, 500PPM of sulfur content would cause the DPF to plug early and fail. Diesel fuel 15PPM sulfur content requirements where eased in over time starting in 2006 and all fuel sold for any purpose including off road must be implemented by 2010. Here is the link for diesel fuel implementation. https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-stan...nd-rulemakings

Let me try to set the record straight on Diesel Particular Filters systems as I know it. Any diesel engine manufactured by Cummins before Jan 1, 2008 will not have a DPF system on the engine regardless of when the vehicle was manufactured. A lot of diesel engines where manufactured in 2007, an sold in 2008 vehicles without the DPF systems on them. When these engines ran out that is when the Tier IV Bin 5 engines where sold by Cummins to OEM vehicles. Cummins engine manufacture got a jump on the Tier IV Bin 5 engines requirements for marketing purposes. Any Diesel engine that was sold after Jan 1, 2010 must conform to the Tier IV Bin 5 requirements as ruled by the EPA. This is when the DPF system was required for on highway vehicles.

Most of the Caterpillar engines for on highway use where manufactured without any DPF's during this time period. Caterpillar stop selling on highway engines to OEM manufactures because of the market conditions in 2010 and had chosen not to meet the EPA requirements for on Highway vehicles.

Hope this clears up some of the questions being asked?
Old 11-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #11

EPA Diesel Regs Beginning January 1, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
The 15PPM Sulfur content in diesel fuel is a requirement for the DPF to work efficiently, 500PPM of sulfur content would cause the DPF to plug early and fail. Diesel fuel 15PPM sulfur content requirements where eased in over time starting in 2006 and all fuel sold for any purpose including off road must be implemented by 2010. Here is the link for diesel fuel implementation. https://www.epa.gov/diesel-fuel-stan...nd-rulemakings

Let me try to set the record straight on Diesel Particular Filters systems as I know it. Any diesel engine manufactured by Cummins before Jan 1, 2008 will not have a DPF system on the engine regardless of when the vehicle was manufactured. A lot of diesel engines where manufactured in 2007, an sold in 2008 vehicles without the DPF systems on them. When these engines ran out that is when the Tier IV Bin 5 engines where sold by Cummins to OEM vehicles. Cummins engine manufacture got a jump on the Tier IV Bin 5 engines requirements for marketing purposes. Any Diesel engine that was sold after Jan 1, 2010 must conform to the Tier IV Bin 5 requirements as ruled by the EPA. This is when the DPF system was required for on highway vehicles.

Most of the Caterpillar engines for on highway use where manufactured without any DPF's during this time period. Caterpillar stop selling on highway engines to OEM manufactures because of the market conditions in 2010 and had chosen not to meet the EPA requirements for on Highway vehicles.

Hope this clears up some of the questions being asked?
Jim, you too are off by 1 year, as the EPA deadline for the lower sulfer emissions was January 1, 2007, not 2008. Therefore, all diesel engines built after 1/1/2007 must meet the stricter EPA emissions standards.

Yes, the manufacturers built ahead, with at least a year of pre-2007 engines found in 2007 and some 2008 model year coaches, with no DPF systems.

One Year Later: 2007 Diesel Emission Standards Implications for Fleet Operators - Articles - Fuel Management - Articles - Work Truck
Old 11-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My ISX was built in 2007 and has the DPF.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My ISX was built in 2007 and has the DPF.
Your signature says your coach is a 2009?
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 AM   #14

In California Trucks and other heavy vehicles were required to be retrofitted with DPFs or replace their engines unless they were on the exempt list. Fortunately for us that list included motorhomes not used commercially.

I believe that all of the other states followed California lead such that so no state requires that resold diesel MHs are required to be retrofitted.

Tags
diesel, ems