Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
What's the deal on this?

The Roadrunner

2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2005, 01:22 AM   #2
What's the deal on this?

The Roadrunner

2Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 AM   #3
Sounds like a good law to me. I'T is about time the public has a way to defend itself from these low lifes......
MONTANA RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:37 AM   #4
its not always the low lifes that get shot.

Let's say your car breaks down, you go up to a house and knock - if that home owner feels threatened he can legally shoot and kill you. We had that situation not to long ago in our area.

02 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 8.1 / Allison
Disney Campers - Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 2Roadrunners:
What's the deal on this? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There sure is a lot being made of this in the press. Gun control advocates such as the Brady group and others have launched a worldwide anti-Florida advertising campaign targeting European tourists telling them not to travel here because of this law.

The bottom line is simple, prior Florida law required any resident EVEN IF ON AND DEFENDING THEIR OWN FAMILY/PROPERTY retreat if threatened by another person.

After reviewing the number of deaths and injuries to residents because of this law, the law has been changed to allow use of deadly counter force by the resident AS LONG AS THE RESIDENT IS ON AND DEFENDING THEIR OWN FAMILY/PROPERTY.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I could never envision myself (even at 66) allowing my family to be endangered no matter what the law reads.

[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:40 AM   #6
I've talked with several law enforcement officers here and all conceed that it might become a legal free for all and, btw, none of them thought it was a good law ... way too much potential for abuse .... be interesting to see how the first case does ... personnaly scares the heck out of me

C Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
This is pretty funny. The link above belongs to an antigun group trying to repeal the law. It say nothing anywhere near neutral or provinding any neutral information about this law. It mentions the thousands of people killed each year with guns but fails to mention that it counts those killed by police, suicides etc in this total. Also, they never give us a reference to go look at these "thousands" they always talk about. It mentions that this law was "created and pushed through by the NRA", usually laws are created and passed by the legislature. A bunch of propaganda if you ask me. It implys that there will be shooting in the streets and innocents will be killed. Lets watch the news and see if this really happens. Texas has had a law for decades that allows a property owner to shoot and kill anyone taking their property after dark, this includes repo men and any others. Do you hear about any slaughter taking place there? Doesn't happen, citizens tend to not just start randomly shooting people when these laws are available.
Also, the post above that mentions a recent case of someone breaking down in their car and going for help being shot. Please provide the reference to this, newspaper article, etc. I have not heard about that one, also, it would have had to be before this law was passed (1 Oct 05) so has nothing to do with the new law????
Also, please note that if you do a web search on this, the Brady organization (the antigun group) have hijacked every reference to Florida vacations and associated info over to their website so they can warn tourists to not vacation in Florida. If you believe they are doing that to help Florida citizens you are mistaken. The are futhering their antigun agenda at Florida's expense. Do a web search on shootfirstlaw and see the hundreds of links that have been hijacked by the Brady organization!
2001 40' Beaver Thunder
2007 Chevy Silverado
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Good shot Bubba.(pun intended) Could not have said it better. Everyone should have the legal right to defend themselves and property,period! And thats a good thing!
Klamath Falls, Oregon:The Right Side Of The Cascades!
1990 Rexhall Airex 29I,Ford 460cid,Gear Vendor,Granning Tag Axel
'87 GMC Suburban 2500 W/454 CID
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Well here we go again. There will be shootings everywhere with blood flowing in the streets! This is the exact same tactics that the Brady groups used when Florida enacted the concealed carry law many years ago. All their predictions of shootings everywhere failed to materialize. As a matter of fact, many other states have modeled there carry laws after Florida's in the intervening years.

To further their agenda, the Brady groups will use any tactic that they can think up to get an emotional response out of the public. The title of this topic "Fla. Shoot First Law" is an example. What is being implied here is that Floridians can basically "shoot first- ask questions later" and not be prosecuted for it. What hogwash. The standards for using deadly force were essentially left intact. You had better have good justification to use deadly force or you will be prosecuted.

What the law did do was help protect the victims of crimes who defend themselves and their families when they come under attack. In the past, due to poorly written laws, and even poorer interpretation of the law by some in the judiciary, people had to do everything they could to flee from the threat before they were allowed to use deadly force to protect themselves. After the incident, even if they were justified, they were sued for a wrongful death. It should have never been allowed to get to that level and this law is a start to bring things back to a more common sense position.

As far as some law enforcement officers having concerns about this law or thinking this law is no good, I have this response. I have been in law enforcement for 30 years. The last 15 years I have been in the training unit, training officers in various topics. Based on my experience, they probably have not yet received any training on this law, therefore, they know very little about it. But most officers, just like the public, are not short on opinions, and not afraid to voice that opinion. By the way, this affects all ranks, officer to chief. Once they receive training on the law, they will be able to speak with more authority. Unfortunately, training is a slow process in many agencies, so many officers may not get any training updates for months.

So let's wait and see. I believe that there will be few to no problems with the new law. Of course as soon as the first incident occurs that is associated with this law, the Brady groups will make so much noise it will be difficult for the uninformed to separate the wheat from the chaff.
'05 Dutch Star 4015, '16 Rubicon OlllllO, & HD Ultra ElectraGlide, NKK14278L
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 05:33 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
Well said Terry!

For some additional perspective on this issue and a new one in the works, here is Mike Thomas (an Orlando Sentinel columnist) from the Sunday 10/2 paper: "Stand Your Ground Law"

In the same "Local and State" newspaper section is this article about Florida House/Senate bills that have been introduced to allow workers to bring guns to work as long as the guns remain locked in their cars: Guns-at-work push

As a former New York Judge for 8 years, I have more trouble with the proposed "Guns at Work" law than the already passed Florida "Stand Your Ground" law.

[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
Terry: Thankyou for a well written and well thought out expanation. I often see angry or emotional responses to these very emotion laden issues and end up just confused by all the different opinons. I think your wait and see response is a good suggestion.
98 Gulf Stream
460 w/banks
Novi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well, Utah is known as a "victimless state". And that means just what it implies. Technically I can shoot you on my porch if you try to enter my home without my invitation!
Yep! I like living in the Wild Wild West!
And , yes, Utah is a "shall carry" state.
Has been that way every since I have been living here.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 02:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Not all parts of our state feel the same way but here in our county of Okla, our Sheriff has a standing comment for thieves, make sure they are dead and then call and be sure and tell him you were afraid for your life. Thats all he wants to hear. We don't usually have too much trouble with thieves.
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #14
That is what they said when NC passed the CCW law. I have not heard seen witnessed or worked a shooting because a person legally obtained a ccw permit. The ones doing the killings don't abide by the the law thay are the ones breaking the laws.

Happy Trails

notawordok is offline   Reply With Quote