Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Flag Drapped Coffin

Meaning of Flag Draped Coffin

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history.

Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in and even more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD GIVEN' rights and freedoms.

I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so many widows and widowers.

Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed the honor guard pays meticulous attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag 13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original 13 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America , and the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of their republic.

The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost reminding them of their Nations motto, 'In God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones, who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights, privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.

There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have deep meaning.

In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you will know why.

Bob Retired Army Traveling alone now.
2008 Camelot 40 PDQ 4 slides ISL400 towing a 2016 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quadcab
Western MT in summer, AZ, NV in winter
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the reminder.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
Cute story but not true.

Traditional flag etiquette prescribes that before an American flag is stored or presented, its handlers should twice fold it in half lengthwise; then (from the end opposite the blue field) make a triangular fold, continuing to fold it in triangles until the other end is reached. This makes a triangular "pillow" of the flag with only the blue starred field showing on the outside, and it takes thirteen folds to produce: two lengthwise folds and eleven triangular ones.

The American flag isn't folded in this manner because each of the folds has a special symbolic meaning; the flag is folded this way because it provides a dignified ceremonial touch that distinguishes folding a flag from folding an ordinary object such as a bedsheet, and because it results in a visually pleasing, easy-to-handle shape. This thirteen-fold procedure was a common practice long before the creation of a ceremonial assignation of "meaning" to each of the steps.
2013 Mobile Suites 38TKSB
psaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:01 PM   #4
And I looked, snopes
does says it is not true.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
"All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans get re-educated about this Nation's history."
Also not true...
They never mention God.

It has often been seen on the Internet that to find God in the Constitution, all one has to do is read it, and see how often the Framers used the words "God," or "Creator," "Jesus," or "Lord." Except for one notable instance, however, none of these words ever appears in the Constitution, neither the original nor in any of the Amendments. The notable exception is found in the Signatory section, where the date is written thusly: "Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven". The use of the word "Lord" here is not a religious reference, however. This was a common way of expressing the date, in both religious and secular contexts. This lack of any these words does not mean that the Framers were not spiritual people, any more than the use of the word Lord means that they were. What this lack of these words is expositive of is not a love for or disdain for religion, but the feeling that the new government should not involve itself in matters of religion. In fact, the original Constitution bars any religious test to hold any federal office in the United States. For more information, see the Religion Topic Page.
Thanks to James MacDonald for the idea.

Things That Are Not In the U.S. Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net...
Dickson and Tracy
2016 Thor Windsport 31S
2015 Fusion Titanium Hybrid
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
National RV Owners Club
I proudly spent 20 years of my life serving in the US Army, willing to stand against any and all enemies, foreign or domestic to defend that flag, and I served my time in combat. I won't get into a debate about what's proper. I'm fairly familiar with flag protocol. Accurate or not, I honestly admire anyone that honors and respects our flag. To those than honor and respect our flag, I salute you.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:39 AM   #7
This reminds me of a thread in another forum discussing the divisiveness of the Pledge of Allegiance and the fact that the term "Under God" was added during the 50s in response to fears of communism. I guess it's open to interpretation...I am offended by the recent news stories where the Pledge is being taken out of certain functions...
1982 CrossCountry - NW Indiana
Ford Electrician
Built WITHOUT your tax dollars!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
If I recall my history lessons correctly our forefathers came to American for Freedom from Religion!
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
If I recall my history lessons correctly our forefathers came to American for Freedom from Religion!
I'll have to disagree. Settlement of the "Original Thirteen" came from a variety of sources. The primary reason for settlement was business, to make money. A secondary reason of religion. Not freedom from religion but which religion would be practiced in a particular area. The Puritans that settled into Massachusetts (and spread into New Hampshire (which included present day Vermont), Maine, & Connecticut in addition to wanting to run their own business and trade without interference from England also settled to practice a religion different than that of Church of England. By no means was this a "freedom from religion" or "freedom of religion". Quite the contrary, if you settled in their area of influence you worshiped as a Puritan - period. They were extremely intolerant of differing views on religion or non-practicing of their religion. Persons of differing religious views would generally be forced out or if you refused to leave, in some cases they would hang you. Maryland was founded as a place for Catholics to be free of persecution from other religions. Pennsylvania as a refuge for Quakers. Some places would be more more tolerant than others of the practicing of differing religions. Our concept of freedom of religion, as embodied in the 1st Amendment, comes to us from Roger Williams and the establishment of the colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations, commonly called just Rhode Island. Rhode Island was to only New England colony not to have a government prescribed religion supported by taxes, but would allow the open practice of any religion.

It sounds real nice, but like the story posted here about Francis Scott Key and the Star Spangle Banner, it's just not so. The military 21 gun salute was established way before 1776.
Travel well, travel safe,
2006 Tiffin Phaeton - 2011 Cadillac SRX
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The American flag

I don't care how the flag of the United States of America folds their flag. It is one of the greatest countries in the world. I love America. I have served with Americans in both peace time and in the field of combat. I spend a lot of time on American soil and when I hear the American anthem sang, I put my hand on my heart and honor America.

I am proud to be a Canadian, but I love America and all that your flag stands for.

Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote