Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Flamingo Everglades

Just spent 4 days at Flamingo campsite in the Everglades NP. Nice place $16 a night, 50 amp hookup. Beautiful area plenty of wildlife to see. That's the good, the bad is my son (24yo) rented a Kayak from the concessionaire, they gave him a full page fine print waiver of liability form to sign. He's a competent with a kayak and has never had any problems before so he signed and we loaded the boat on the Jeep. We dropped him of at Coots Bay pond with plans to pick him up in 4 hrs. He set out and Peggy and I went sight seeing. We came back at the arranged time and no Alex, sat in the car a few minutes and then went to the launching area to see if he was coming. A few minutes later I can hear someone calling in the distance, after a bit I recognized it as my son calling for help. I called back to him and he indicated that his kayak had sunk and he had made it to the mangroves. He said the mud was too deep to walk out, he was around a bend about 300yds out. I had my wife stay there and went to the rental concession and asked them for a tandem kayak so I could retrieve him. The manager said he would send a power skiff to pick him up an retrieve the kayak. I told him the water was too shallow, but he insisted that his man get him. I went back to the launching site and told my son to sit tight help was coming. A hour went by no help. About this time a young couple can in in their tandem. I explained what was going on and they offered to go get him. By now the sun is going down. Cold and wet I took him to the RV for a hot shower. I then went back to the rental shack and it was locked tight, as I'm standing there banging on the door the manager came walking over from the camp store. He said the water was too shallow and his man couldn't get to my son. I asked if he had notified the NPS rangers of the situation, the answer blew my socks off "NO" I'll call now. This is 1.5 hours after I reported the situation to him. At this point he informed me that the credit card would be charged $675 for the kayak. I refrained from strangling him on the spot, told him we'll see about that. Went to the emergency phone at the ranger booth and asked dispatch to send a Ranger to my site. He said they were unaware that anyone had been in danger. I getting too upset writing to go any further, but I went out of the park in the morning, a 40 mile ride and sure enough they had already charged my card. Maybe I'll finish this tale in the AM

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad your son is okay... You may want to dispute the charge with your credit card company. When you talk to them explain the circumstances and why you feel the charges are bogus.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Glad your son is okay... You may want to dispute the charge with your credit card company. When you talk to them explain the circumstances and why you feel the charges are bogus.
Thank you that was my first action
Old 03-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I may never post on RVNET again, the folks over there are lurking around looking for someone to try and make a fool of them link to this post on RVNET
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flamingo Everglades
Old 03-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
I think you and Zeus should have a beer. He looks a little high strung.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
hondo122,
You showed considerable restraint. I was getting pissed off at that Yayhoo as I read your tale. It's a good thing that you backed off a bit and cooled down. It's remarkable how many morons you encounter as you head into the back country. He wasn't playing the Banjoy by chance ?
Hope you stopped the $675 charge.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
follow up

It took me till today to send an email to the operator of the boat concession at Flamingo, 1 hour later I received an email apologizing for the actions and inaction's by his employee and informing me that I would receive a full refund on my credit card. I will admit I write a convincing letter and CC the Superintendent of the Park and my Local Congressman (who I went to apprentice school with) may have added an extra layer of pressure to do the right thing. I will send him a thank you letter after my card is credited. PS the manager will be terminated for his actions. thanks for the support. IRV2 is the best
Old 03-22-2011, 04:55 AM   #8

If all that had happened to my son, you would be sending a letter of condolences for the death of that guy that ran the concessionaire.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Smiles to you and your Son
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo122 View Post
I may never post on RVNET again, the folks over there are lurking around looking for someone to try and make a fool of them link to this post on RVNET
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Flamingo Everglades

Just one more reason I don't go on RVNET. Thank goodness for IRV2.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Today I received my refund and a personal note from Sammy Hamilton the owner I consider that the event has come to a successful close. I wrote him back and thanked him for the personal interest he took.,
Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I like your style hondo, you are about a subtle as a well aimed brick.

Sometimes anals have to be dealt with in a way they understand, their pocketbook. Congratulations on handling this event properly.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #13

Sometimes it takes a 2x4 across the butt to get the attention.