Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Freightliner Owners Club
Flash Floods In Arkansas

In case anyone has friends camping in SW Arkansas:

CADDO GAP, Ark. Flash floods triggered by more than a half-foot of rain wiped away campsites along a pair of southwestern Arkansas rivers early Friday. State police said a dozen people were killed and several others were stranded.
The normally peaceful Caddo and Little Missouri rivers rose by 20 feet overnight, swamping hikers and campers spending the night in the remote and normally serene Ouachita Mountains. The area also includes second homes, hunting camps and U.S. Forest Service campgrounds.
"We don't know who was in there last night," State Police spokesman Bill Sadler said. "This is a very wide area."
Sadler said officials were moving in a refrigerated truck to set up a temporary morgue. Searchers were working along the Little Missouri River in Montgomery and Pike counties and the National Guard dispatched helicopters to help in the rescue.
Sadler said 12 people had been killed in the floods.
Gov. Mike Beebe, in Dumas for an economic develop announcement, said the deaths occurred about 5:30 a.m., when the water hit its peak. He said he did not plan to visit the site immediately.
"I don't want to get in the way," Beebe said. "There is an intense search-and-rescue attempt."
The Little Missouri west of Caddo Gap stood at 3 feet Thursday but after 7.6 inches of rain fell in the area overnight the level jumped to 23.5 feet by Friday morning. At 10 a.m. it had dropped to 11.5 feet.
The damage was centered around the Camp Albert Pike area, 75 miles west of Little Rock.
Rainfall totaled 7.6 inches at Glenwood, a weather reporting station about 20 miles from the scene, according to data from the National Weather Service at North Little Rock. Marty Trexler, a senior meteorologist, said heavy rain fell throughout the region before moving into northern Arkansas later Friday morning.

Remember these fellow campers in your prayers.

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Very tragic indeed.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Prayers for all involved
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
I am watching CNN and all I can say is what tragedy. They think there are 36 people missing, perhaps more plus the 16 already deceased. There apparently is no way to know how many people were there since no registration for campers.
Phil & Carol & Ariel, Grey Lady
2016 Ram CTD 4X4
2009 Carriage Cameo F35SB3:dance
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
i wonder if any of them had weather emergency radios, and if that would have done any good
'08 33' Windsport Ford 22k towing Ford Focus SE
billyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
My prayers are given.
kenenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tragic. We plan on going through that area this fall.
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 300 Cat
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Officially fulltiming. The Journey Begins
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hail Mary and Amen!!
TandW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the things that modern Weather Alert radios warn of is floods. I'm told forecasters predicted this flood.

Now, considering the location I am not sure such a radio would have worked, but.. I find that my portable often fails to receive when my "Desktop" radio, with an external antenna on a short mast, works very well. (It is a general coverage receiver with capability in that range)

So if the park had such a radio, with tower, it might have warned them in time to get out of danger.. I don't know.

I do know lives have been saved in other places by these radios.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:44 PM   #10
Newmar Owners Club
16 Campers Dead in Arkansas

Campers were caught in a flash flood while they slept.
2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
This truly makes my heart sad for these people. My prayers are with the survivors and the families that lost loved ones in this tragedy. This proves the saying that ''Life is tenuous and we can lose it in an instant and sometimes without warning''. May God bless the families and bring them comfort in their time of sorrow.
Seajay the sailor man....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
Freightliner Owners Club
Beyond words...

Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #13
We camped there (Albert Pike) when I was a kid. I took my family camping there when my kids were small but haven't been back in more than 30 years. It is in a remote area, a rugged valley surrounded by hills. I doubt a Weather Alert radio would have been of any use, but don't know for sure. Really sad.

Numbers is hard...
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
Excel Owners Club
Arkansas flash floods

Those of us who pray should remember the families of the victims of the tragic floods in Arkansas. Some of the fellow campers/RV'ers lost 3-4 family members.

Ed and Diane Van Cleave

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote