Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 AM   #1

Flo and her bunch at Progressive Ins should be ashamed

Wow. I cannot believe what Flo and her crew at Progressive did to me on boat insurance billing. I would file with the Texas AG office and still may, but Texas is kinda owned by the electric, insurance and gas and oil industries.

First of all, I usually pay for insurance annually. I hate writing checks and it just works best for me to do it that way. But this time when my annual payment came due, I decided to pay quarterly since I am selling my boat. I told the rep on the phone that and that is why I am not paying annually. Well guess what? I am not paying quarterly. Huh? I specified that is how I wanted to pay it- say June, Oct, Jan, and April- you know quarterly. Instead they have a default and you will now have a payment in June, July, August, and September which pays for the whole year.

The rep said I did not specify how to make payments. I have received some emails from them but I just assumed they were policy declarations and did not open them. I cannot believe the level of greed in this country- it is gonna kill us all. Yes I will eventually get it back prorated, when I sell my boat, but is that really the point?

Billybobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 05:23 AM   #2

When I canceled I received a refund. When I get my bill, there is a way to select the terms of payment.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #3

So are you saying that the rep refused to or could not change the bill plan after you notified him/her? Did you make the original change yourself online or through your rep who could have made a mistake?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 AM   #4

I think the stupidity of people and everybody else fault is what is killing this country
Dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

I may or may not see a bill. I usually just pay annually with my credit card. This time when I got the email notice that I was in arrears, the billing agent made me pay July, Aug (I already paid June with the phone call) and he moved the last payment back for later next year. Remember June July and August would take me nine months into the plan but paid in the first three months. He at first told me he couldn't do it and that the system was locked. When he told me the four month billing in a row for the year was the "default" and I had some choice words for him and Progressive the "system" became unlocked so that the final payment was made after the first of the year.

Looking this over "arrears" is a bad choice of words because had they billed it like we discussed I would not have been in arrears since my June payment would have covered the first quarter. I think they basically have a computer up their that tells them who can afford what they can pay and when and default to the plan that works in their favor. The default overrides the conversation I had with the rep who billed me the June payment and should have set it up for quarterly payments.
Billybobtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

This sounds more like a communication problem than a payment plan agreement. Do you have a local agent?
I have Progressive Ins. for my MH through my local agent and I pay annually but each time I come up for renewal I have the option of different payment plans. I don't send the Ins. co. a dime. I stop by my agent's office and pay with cash or check. I know personally who I am dealing with. It isn't some computer guru hundreds of miles away.
I pay my homeowners, auto, snowmobile, ATV, and garage keeper's ins. the same way at the same agency albeit there are other insurance companies involved. If I have a problem or a question about anything I know who to turn to and have confidence it will be resolved or answered immediately.
Lynn
Old 08-20-2017, 02:38 PM   #7

It's your option to cancel you insurance and receive a refund for the unused premium. contact an insurance Broker and have he/she shop the market for the specific coverage you need on your boat. There are some battles that aren't worth fighting and this premium mode issue would be one of those that I would tell them to stick it and buy coverage elsewhere.

Gary, Maxwell and the Beanie Weenie.
2002 Newmar Kountry Star. Cummins ISB 24 valve
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

See if you like this...

I dutifully and completely asked all of the questions they asked when we got insurance for our DP. Manufacturer, miles on odo, value, etc.

After 1.5 years, we discovered it was insured as a travel trailer.

I wonder how a liability claim against me would have been handled.

Matt B
Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #9

how did you 'suddenly' find out it was incorrectly insured as a TT?

that information would have been on your very first Declarations Page(Coverage sheets), how can you 'blame' them for it being 1 1/2 years before you realized it?

as for any claims, your policy would pay, period. it has nothing to do with how they have your coach 'listed', whether correct or not. Insurer's can only deny claims if the customer is found to have INTENTIONALLY lied on an application, not just because you assume they have it listed 'incorrectly'.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #10

When you sell your boat, cancel the insurance, receive a refund for the unused premium. Insurance notices... got to read them, kinda important.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
how did you 'suddenly' find out it was incorrectly insured as a TT?

that information would have been on your very first Declarations Page(Coverage sheets), how can you 'blame' them for it being 1 1/2 years before you realized it?

as for any claims, your policy would pay, period. it has nothing to do with how they have your coach 'listed', whether correct or not. Insurer's can only deny claims if the customer is found to have INTENTIONALLY lied on an application, not just because you assume they have it listed 'incorrectly'.
I suddenly found out when they told me - we were adding an ATV and they asked if it was replacing the travel trailer. The dec page showed it to be Monaco Windsor with a Roadmaster chassis and included the VIN - no indication that the policy was not for a motorized vehicle. Their records, and apparently the premium reflected a travel trailer.

I would hope that they would have paid a claim, but I would assume that a trailer policy would not have any liability coverage - that being connected to the insurance policy for the motorized vehicle. My conclusion, and that of the insurance representative was that we had operated our motorhome for 1.5 years without any liability coverage.

Matt B
Old 08-21-2017, 12:31 AM   #12

you have to stop 'assuming' and read your policy coverage page(Declarations Page), not what someone 'says'. I am in the insurance industry and can assure you that how you say they have it listed would have no bearing on whether you 'assume' you did'nt have Liability insurance all this time. One confusion is that many customer seevice folks don't know the difference between a motorcoach and a 'travel trailer', they just use the term across the board for all 'RV's'.

Don't rely on someone to 'tell' you what's covered, read your policy. If you don't feel that they have your vehicle listed or insured correctly, THEN contact them to confirm it or change it.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
you have to stop 'assuming' and read your policy coverage page(Declarations Page), not what someone 'says'. I am in the insurance industry and can assure you that how you say they have it listed would have no bearing on whether you 'assume' you did'nt have Liability insurance all this time. One confusion is that many customer seevice folks don't know the difference between a motorcoach and a 'travel trailer', they just use the term across the board for all 'RV's'.

Don't rely on someone to 'tell' you what's covered, read your policy. If you don't feel that they have your vehicle listed or insured correctly, THEN contact them to confirm it or change it.
Agreed and well stated.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobtx View Post
Wow. but Texas is kinda owned by the electric, insurance and gas and oil industries.
that statement bothers me. its not insurance, its UTILITY companies.
we use farm bureau and i bet it cuts progressive into the shameful category.
does sound like miscommunications, but you as the policy holder need to know what or how your policy can be paid.
Farm B lets us pay once, monthly or you can set up others with a simple office visit
but remember when you said qtrly payments that means you pay 3 months at a time which most likely is equal to 3 months of the policy, why didnt you pay ahead three months and then again, until you sold the boat and then apply for refund. no need to set up any odd payments with the giant.

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote