Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Keys, a slice of paradise!

We retired in 1997 and full-timed for 4 years. Got bored, started a business and sold the Coach in 2001. It's time to retire again, selling the business and bought the Coach and a new addition as of today. We purchased an RV Lot in an RV Condominium in the Florida Keys. It was the only lot left that would hold a 40 foot Coach at Keys RV Resort in Marathon, Florida.

Keys RV Resort is a sleepy fishing type place with mostly old added onto trailers, if you have ever been to the Keys, you know the type. Clean but not classy. With the economy what it is, even the Keys is down on their luck. At the current market price and with our love of the Keys, we could not resist. It's the end lot on a culdesac and faces right at the Ocean.

Were excited and wanted to share! See us someday in Margaritaville.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
got room for a Christmas guest ?

Congrats

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats to you and yours sir! I am truly envious. when I achieved my open water scuba certification in 1993, I made the trip from West Virginia to the Keys, Marathon, in fact, to do my check-out dives. I fell in love with everything about the place as we took some extra time and made our way down to Key West. I loved how it was like being in a foreign land, but still close to home.

I vowed someday I would return either retired, in my own business, or preferably some combination. Sadly, I have only made it back one time so far. I guess the primary reason for that would be that my current field of endeavor has been very good to me and my family, and I have always been sure I found my life's calling straight out of college, nearly 30 years now. Every minute in the same profession, every minute gainfully employed. So even though the dream is still "out there" I have been blessed.

Even though I barely know you, it lifts my heart to hear of someone attaining their dream. Part of that is somewhat self serving I guess, because in a way it gives a little more validation that someday it will indeed actually happen for us, as I'm convinced it will.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you, it has been a dream since we first went to the Keys some 15 years ago, we have been very blessed in life and are grateful for our second retirement. With current prices at 50 cents on the dollar, we had to!

Here are some pictures, one is of the lot and the second is looking from the lot out to the ocean. I here the steel drums playing!
Attached Images

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congrats. But Margaritaville is about a 50 mile drive south of you.
At Jimmy's Home of good hamburger's.

Don't forget Hurricane season is not over until Nov. 30th.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, 50 miles West/Southwest!

Margaritaville is not so much a location as a State Of Mind!

"With lyrics reflecting a laid-back lifestyle in a tropical climate"

We have lived or spent many months a year in Florida for the past 12 years, WE AIN'T AFRAID OF NO STINKING HURRICANES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
And now you officially suck. Not really, but yeah you do. <--Not dripping with jealously at all, no.

Sounds great, I really need to visit there one day, maybe even in the next year or two. Got new tires now, I'm determined to wear these out instead of replacing on time.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Jim: You're right, Margaritaville is a "state of mind" and represents precisely why we too LOVE the Keys. You're a fortunate guy to now have a spot down there. Retired twice..eh? Might ya go for a third???

Love your attitude re: hurricanes......but,... we're curious about what ya might do, or where you'd head IF evac was ordered for Marathon? Ya see, some day, we too might find our "porch swing" spot down there and were just wondering where folks from the Keys evacuate to when necessary.....or do you seriously just "ride em out?" Steve & Lynette
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks!

Hurricanes have such a wide estimation of direction by the computer models and experts, it is best to wait until the accuracy is more definitive. We live in Melbourne Beach, Florida and have had many Hurricanes to deal with. The first few we panicked like most. With experience, we fill the vehicles with fuel, get spare fuel for the generator, stock up on supplies and wait until the last possible time to make the decision on whether to leave and where to go. The traffic is non-existent if you wait and 80-90% of the time, you never have to leave.

I would do the same in Marathon and if required would go east out of the Keys and then North to Central Florida and either West or East depending on final direction.

On the business issue, my wife says I'm on my own if I do it again, I'm an A-hole to work with. I have an idea for the 3rd time and it doesn't involve me actually working!