Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Flying J bought out by Pilot

The DW just informed me that Flying J has been bought out by Pilot. I don't know about the rest of you, but I avoid Pilot like the plague. I know that Flying J had went bankrupt a few months ago.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #2

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

Flying J website confirms that tentative agreement has been reached to merge the two companies allowing Flying J to emerge from chapter 11. More to come on this activity.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's the press release.

They have entered into a preliminary merger agreement that will provide a framework for Flying J’s core travel plaza business to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:36 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Flying J and Pilot Travel Centers announced July 14 they have reached a preliminary agreement to merge. The agreement will provide a framework for Flying J’s core travel plaza business to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
If the bankruptcy court approves, Pilot has also agreed to provide $100 million in debtor-in-possession financing for Flying J’s operations.
“After a careful and exhaustive review of the alternatives available, we have concluded that a merger with Pilot represents the best possible outcome for Flying J, our creditors, our customers, and our employees,” said Crystal Call Maggelet, chairman of the board of Flying J.
“Over the next few months, we will negotiate definitive agreements to merge our companies. This transaction will allow us to emerge from the bankruptcy process relatively quickly thereafter and to start a new chapter in the Flying J story,” said Maggelet.
Flying J operates 270 travel centers and fuel stops in 41 states and six Canadian provinces. The company employs 14,700 people, including 2,187 in Utah.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:28 AM   #5

Good for Flying J and their employees. Merging two differing corporate cultures, policies and procedures in such large companies is a challenge and hopefully the end result--a couple years from now--will be a company that is RV friendly as Flying J has been over the years.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Whippets View Post
hopefully the end result--a couple years from now--will be a company that is RV friendly as Flying J has been over the years.
I hope that this isn't wishful thinking... Pilot isn't one of my favorite places to buy fuel... Always the most expensives and one of the dirtiest. I guess we can kiss of discounts good bye..
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
The 1 cent discount doesn't make any difference to me but I always seek out a FJ when possible because they're RV friendly and seem to appreciate RVrs' business. They go the extra mile and construct RV islands, dump stations, water filling facilities, propane refill, etc just for us to use. I've not ever seen any of that at any other truck stop and I feel like Pilot would rather we had gone elsewhere the few times I've stopped there.... they seem to just want the commercial truckers and have nothing for us.

With wishful thinking, I'd hope the FJ business model would influence Pilot to improve in the RV end of the business but I really think Pilot will gradually pull out the RV stuff as they upgrade or remodel the existing FJ facilities to mirror their own.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Besides all the negatives about Pilot...if you drive a "gasser" their islands are not laid out for us...jut pick-ups and cars...you can hardly get in and out with a toad.

8.1 Workhorse w/UltraPower,Taylor 409 plug wires,AC Delco 41-993 Plugs and OEM Engineering Fuel Filter Adaper
stubeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
doc

Appalachian Campers
I agree with Richard, FJ seemed to want the RV business and some of the others seem to just 'put up' with us. I never had to go inside and leave a credit card with FJ, fuel and pay at the pump. The discount was not a big deal, but it did make us feel like they wanted our business and they usually had the best price (or better than Pilot anyway!) of anyone in the area. It will be interesting to see how whomever runs FJ now as to how they treat the RVers.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
They go the extra mile and construct RV islands, dump stations, water filling facilities, propane refill, etc just for us to use.
And, you see where all that got them - broke! In business, you can't give everythigng away and have a profit to survive on.
bottieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottieri View Post
And, you see where all that got them - broke! In business, you can't give everythigng away and have a profit to survive on.
I'm not sure that it was trying to cater to the RV business that caused their bankruptcy. All RVers together are small potatoes in a business like Flying J. I suspect that they just got caught not watching their cash flow in that volatile oil market last year. People Express airline was another great example of a fantastic business model that fell victim to overzealous financial miscalculation. They expanded their way right out of business.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #12

FJ went out of business because they hedged fuel at $3.50/gallon last year. When prices tanked, they were left upside down and were taking a loss on every gallon sold. As a "retailer" they have no (or very limited through their Big West Refining operation) dedicated supply chain for fuel (unlike ExxonMobil, Valero, Marathon, BP, etc, whom all own multiple large refineries) and they were trying to beat the market to enhance down revenues. They bet wrong and it bit them hard.

The moral of the story is don't hedge in a volatile market unless you know what you are doing...
Old 07-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
I hope that this isn't wishful thinking... Pilot isn't one of my favorite places to buy fuel... Always the most expensive and one of the dirtiest. I guess we can kiss of discounts good bye..
I agree with you Charles.. They use to charge for credit card use and that was a reason for me to avoid them. I can usually find fuel just as cheap at HESS, and no charge for the credit cards.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via MSN to twalton
I seem to remember an article about the FJ bankruptcy which stated that they made a huge mistake buying oil futures at $135 a barrel and then when the bottom fell out they were unable to compete.
twalton is offline   Reply With Quote