Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2012, 11:49 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
As for manufacturer's club's why should membership in FMCA be a prerequisite for joining? It might have made sense at one time, but now it appears as if a dying organization (FMCA) is clinging to life by forcing people to join the parent organization in order to join the chapters.
It's always been a requirement, nothing new.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by topdownman View Post
I'm a FMCA member and Good Sam. The one disadvantage to FMCA compared to Good Sam is your mailbox doesn't get stuffed with constant credit/insurance/road service offers
We're Charter Lifetime GS members and get very few offers, we get far more from AARP.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
The best RV Club you can belong to is:
A club that has other owners with the same brand as you, Why, who better knows more about your RV.
Now that being said, you have owner Clubs in the FMCA or you join a owners Club. There are Brand threads right here on iRV2. Most of the Clubs also have a thread here also.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We've been members for years and until this year have not taken advantage of anything that they offered. However, they do offer (and we took advantage this year) of $20 off an emergency roadside assistance program, CoachNet. You can also get this through affiliation of several other clubs, but this is how we did it. The biggest plus this year, in addition to the CoachNet which we used several times, was in buying six new Michelin tires through the Michelin Advantage Program with FMCA at a savings of $170 per tire. That more than made up whatever dues I pay to FMCA for many lifetimes (in my case).
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #19

I have to admit I'll be using the tire plan next spring which is more than worth the cost of joinership.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Actually, I have not read the magazine, I have not asked for the FMCA discount at a campground, and I have not participated in the outings. So, as I said, it has not been a value for us.
Sarah, the first time you have to replace tires you will see the real advantage of the FMCA... The magazine is nice, the discounts at camp grounds is great, but the tire discounts are out of this world...

And by the way, we have been members since April 2007.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I like FMCA,not for FMCA but for the people I met there so far. They now require you to buy the medical assist program separately. Many members are upset at that. Membership is down. I joined and met some wonderful people and without them, I wouldn't renew. Some rallies we enjoy, some are terrible. They don't get big name entertainment lately and seminars at the rallies are reduced to , mostly, vendor related sales pitches.
Part of the problem with that is the dwindling membership, old school politics, and not enough younger blood. 5th wheel and trailers acceptance ..as a sub section of the organization with no voting rights.... was voted down in the Indy rally. Most of the people I know wanted to allow trailers and 5th wheels to be able to join.
I joined a couple of chapters and enjoy them immensely.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I don't think I've been at a CG that wouldn't give me the same discount for my Good Sam or Escapees cards.

As for manufacturer's club's why should membership in FMCA be a prerequisite for joining? It might have made sense at one time, but now it appears as if a dying organization (FMCA) is clinging to life by forcing people to join the parent organization in order to join the chapters.

IMHO it is time for members of the manufacturer's clubs to speak up if they don't want to be blackmailed like this.
Okay, I'm missing something. Manufacturer's clubs?
HeatAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:27 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatAir View Post
I think they are refering to the forums for each make of RV. Click on Forums at the top of this page and then scroll down through the whole list and you should find one specifc to your RV MFG.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatAir View Post
Most of the manufacturers have owners' clubs; for example, Fleetwood has the Fleetwood Owner's Club with a link on the Fleetwood website. Fleetwood RV Owners Clubs They have rallys, a forum, etc. There are also owner's groups on Yahoo.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Actually, I have not read the magazine, I have not asked for the FMCA discount at a campground, and I have not participated in the outings. So, as I said, it has not been a value for us.
In order for something to be of value you have to use it. Might take a little effort though but I think you'll find it works out.

My parents got a one year membership when they bought their Foretravel, their number was F47302, when we decided to join we found that, since my parents had sold their MH and no longer belonged we could use their number but add an "s" (for son) to it. They also have a "d" which is daughter.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
In order for something to be of value you have to use it.
That was precisely my point. It was not a value for US. We have only owned an RV for 11 months. As newbies, we made the mistake of signing up for all kinds of things, including two roadside assistance plans. Now we are a little wiser.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Just signed up for a 6yr membership. Im gona buy tires and hopefully use the campground discounts so i figure it's worth it. Heck a good magazine would cost about that much. I also looked into GS membership if they had a tire program i wouldn't even bothered with FMCA. I'm 38 so I guess thats young blood. I looked at GS warranty program and at first thought what a good idea then i saw the prices and WoW its like a car payment but other things about GS might have me getting a membership maybe roadside assistance. But AAA also has that.???? Have to check into that.
DeadRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We received a phone call today from the FMCA Membership committee. We've been away from "home base" for a while and our membership expired.

At $40 annually, we'll likely renew. The monthly magazine is ok and the benefits, much like most other memberships.

We haven't been travelling much this year, but when we do start racking up the miles we'll certainly renew our Passport America membership too.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote