Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
For CPAP users only

Hi folks! I have made an astounding discovery that I really should patent and get rich so I could buy a nice motor home, but I'm gonna give you the information FREE! I've been using a CPAP for several years, right after my wife threatened to leave me, saying I was shaking the windows with my snoring! It's been wonderful for both of us, except for one problem...she elbows me several times a night to tell me that I am "leaking air". I reposition the mask and go back to sleep, then the elbow again. I have tried different masks, but nothing has helped. Then it got worse, I started "drooling" (gross, isn't it) on the pillow! I have been using a good chin strap and pulling it real tight, but still no help. I have kidded her about getting out the duct tape. Well, yesterday I decided to take drastic measures. I went to the drug store and told the pharmacist that I needed some tape to tape my wife's mouth to keep her from talking so much (just kidding). No, I told him my problem and that I wanted to tape my mouth shut to see what would happen. He recommended a Johnson & Johnson Paper Tape, 1" wide, that doesn't take the skin with it when removed. Last night I put a strip over my mouth, put on the CPAP mask, did NOT use the chin strap, and after my wife finally quit laughing, went to sleep. SHAZAM! No noise (or drooling) all night long! I could even sleep on my back, which I haven't been able to do in years! I tell you folks, I feel like I just invented the light bulb! The tape is not uncomfortable, just be sure you kiss your spouse and say goodnight BEFORE you put the tape on. Now I know that after you try this you will insist on sending me a huge check, but just consider this my contribution to mankind.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I am on my way to the drugstore right now so I can tape my DH's mouth shut tonight!

I am all to aware of the air-mattress-leaking-air-Darth-Vader sound, so tell your wife I share her (former) pain!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe

I use a full face mask. Works even with my beard.

jack
Old 07-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #4

DW & I both use CPAP's, actually I now use a BiPAP as a CPAP was not doing the job. We both use a mask over the nose and fortunately do not have problems. I am glad you figured a way to solve your problem. The grandkids used to tell DW Papa sounds like a dog growling.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Joe

I use a full face mask. Works even with my beard.

jack
I tried two different styles of full-face masks but as I would move during the night the mask would shift and leak. I use the "pillow" type mask that fits only under my nose, which is very comfortable and I thought the leaking was from the mask when all the time it was coming from my mouth opening!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
I am on my way to the drugstore right now so I can tape my DH's mouth shut tonight!

I am all to aware of the air-mattress-leaking-air-Darth-Vader sound, so tell your wife I share her (former) pain!
Let us know the results tommorrow

Old 07-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I only use the type that covers the nose and has the harness behind the head made by Vista and have never had the problem of the leakage.The first mask I got 12 y/ago seemed to leak,then the next style I got has an air return arrangement so that it goes aout thru several holes in the mask when you aren't breathing or breathing out.I also have found with that type of mask that my mouth stays closed anyway.
Now if I can just figger out how to nicely tell the DW that she's just a bit past the soft snore stage ,I'll be ok.Also the Awesome Cocker does it too. Between the two they keep me awake.
As a matter of info,I looked at getting a battery pak for my new CPAP and decided that it was a LOT cheaper to get a converter from 12V to 110V in case of an emergency.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
I tried two different styles of full-face masks but as I would move during the night the mask would shift and leak. I use the "pillow" type mask that fits only under my nose, which is very comfortable and I thought the leaking was from the mask when all the time it was coming from my mouth opening!
I use the same as you and have the same problem.

I have a question about how you use the tape. Do you apply it north to south (nose to chin) or east to west?
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I use the same as you and have the same problem.

I have a question about how you use the tape. Do you apply it north to south (nose to chin) or east to west?

Definitely east to west. By the way, I found out last night that it's VERY important to shave, wash your face with soap and water, then let it dry thoroughly before putting the tape on. Last night Annette punched me in the middle of the night saying I was leaking air again. A small area of the tape had come loose and letting air out. We're getting the hang of it

Old 07-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
Definitely east to west. By the way, I found out last night that it's VERY important to shave, wash your face with soap and water, then let it dry thoroughly before putting the tape on. Last night Annette punched me in the middle of the night saying I was leaking air again. A small area of the tape had come loose and letting air out. We're getting the hang of it
Aargh! Once I retired (12 years ago), my shave every day routine went by the wayside. Maybe I could start a new trend among males by just shaving around my mouth and let it grow everywhere else. After all, someone has to be a fashion trend setter and it might as well be me.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:07 PM   #11

I have a BI-PAP and use it nightly. I have 4 mask that I hate and finally decided on the "up your nose with a rubber hose" system. When we got back from our recent 60 day RV trip I got a really neat system that uses "pillows" up the nose, and a strap both behind the head and and up over the top. Nothing over my mouth, but it doesn't leak. When I open my mouth it really gets loud. When we boondock, I use a lot of power during the night, but our 2 AGM batteries handled it OK. This new system allows me to sleep on my back also whicch I haven't been able to do in years.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I have a BI-PAP and use it nightly. I have 4 mask that I hate and finally decided on the "up your nose with a rubber hose" system. When we got back from our recent 60 day RV trip I got a really neat system that uses "pillows" up the nose, and a strap both behind the head and and up over the top. Nothing over my mouth, but it doesn't leak. When I open my mouth it really gets loud. When we boondock, I use a lot of power during the night, but our 2 AGM batteries handled it OK. This new system allows me to sleep on my back also whicch I haven't been able to do in years.
It sounds like you use the same "pillow" type mask as I do. It's very comfortable and now that I have solved the mouth problem I'm a happy camper By the way, what is a BI-PAP ?

Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I have to use a full face mask. I'm a mouth breather, and no way would a nasal only system work for me. I'm currently using a Mirage Quattro (CPAP.com - Mirage Quattro Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear), but am thinking of trying a Quatro FX (CPAP.com - Mirage Quattro FX Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear). Anyone tried that model?

joe
Old 07-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Joe

BiPAP machines are used for treatment of more complex forms of sleep apnea, as well as other breathing and sleep disorders. BiPAP machines have two prescribed pressures set - one for inhalation and one for exhalation.

jack