Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #1

ford triton v10 or cummins diesel motor

Hi, i have recently start looking into purchasing a motorhome, we are interested in the coachmen encounter because of i'ts floorplan. But i was told and from reading and reserching that it its not as reliable as a isb-xt-360 cummins diesel engine.
lami_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2011, 05:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have had both. Class C with V10 and now class A with Cummins ISC 350. Fuel economy with the V10 was not good but now days gas is much cheaper than diesel. Good power with the V10 but the diesel is better. Hard to compare the V10 in a 14,000 lb GVW to the diesel in a 32,000 though.

Reliability wise we never had a problem with either. The V10 was new, diesel had 35,000 on it when we purchased it.

A diesel with proper maintenance will last about forever, gas a couple hundred thousand. Keep in mind that everything you do with a diesel will be more expensive. Six quarts of oil compared to 22 for example. I'm not familiar with the coach you are interested in but the diesel may have air ride suspension, a definite plus.

I think you will need to look at how you will use your MH. Long term, lots of miles and amount of use. Full time RVing and high miles kind of thing, go for the diesel. Weekends and short vacations the gas may be a better option.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
HD4Mark covered most items.

The one thing that I love about my Cummins is that the entire driving experience is much more relaxing in a diesel. We drive down most roads with the cruise control on and very seldom does it down shift, no sreaming hill climbs at 4,500 RPM, and with the engine in the rear, it's very quiet. If you plan on doing much mountain driving the turbo diesel is the way to go rather than a non turbo gasser which runs out of power the higher you go...BTDT!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No question, Cummins!!! Love my ISL 400. Had 8.1 GM on a workhorse, it was ok but milage was bad, noisy when under power. Love the Cummins, all the power and torque when needed and really quiet.
bldr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lami_55 View Post
Hi, i have recently start looking into purchasing a motorhome, we are interested in the coachmen encounter because of i'ts floorplan. But i was told and from reading and reserching that it its not as reliable as a isb-xt-360 cummins diesel engine.
The gasoline engines are reliable. Depending on your budget, make the choice of floorplan that suits you best. We chose a gasoline powered coach for our first RV because we wanted to buy NEW and didn't want to spend the $$ for a diesel. So far we have no regrets, though admittedly we haven't owned it very long!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #6

We couldn't pass up the deal on our 05 Ram diesel even though it is more than what we need for now. After two years, I could not go back to gas for towing. Yes oil changes are expensive but twice per year won't break the bank. Other than front brakes, we have done nothing beyond regular maintenance. It is my daily driver which gets hard on the wallet for fuel but once on the road all is forgiven.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #7

I agree with the other folks opinions and I would like to add that service for the Ford V10 is as close as your nearest Ford Dealer and the Cummins engine repair station may be in the nearest adjacent time zone. The gasser will do you well if your trips are east of the Mississippi and you don't need to hear your radio perfectly. Most people I know are choosing to save the $40,000 premium and they are buying a gasser.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D in Davie View Post
Most people I know are choosing to save the $40,000 premium and they are buying a gasser.
Not so in our neck of the woods. We have a number of friends with whom we travel...none have gassers. $40k is not for the diesel, it's for the entire rig. The gasser won't haul nearly as much weight therefore the coaches are much smaller and don't have nearly the amenities the diesels have. Try to find a "luxury" Class A gasser and/or any gasser in the 40' range...very few of either are around...that's what the $40k is for.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
A lot depends on how much you're going to be on the road. If you're going to be doing a lot of cruising the interstates & backroads, traveling all over the country, you might prefer the air ride comfort the diesel provided. If you're more of a "weekend warrior' with short trips here/there & a couple of extended vacation weeks, then the gasser will do you just fine & save you the maintenance $$ the diesel requires. If the gas vs diesel doesn't matter to you, then go with the floorplan you like best & works for you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins, diesel, ford, v10