Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fossil fuels on demand

Excerpt from a story at the Globe and Mail:
"In September, a privately held and highly secretive U.S. biotech company named Joule Unlimited received a patent for “a proprietary organism” – a genetically engineered cyanobacterium that produces liquid hydrocarbons: diesel fuel, jet fuel and gasoline. This breakthrough technology, the company says, will deliver renewable supplies of liquid fossil fuel almost anywhere on Earth, in essentially unlimited quantity and at an energy-cost equivalent of $30 (U.S.) a barrel of crude oil. It will deliver, the company says, “fossil fuels on demand.”"

Full story HERE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
There remains a lot of space between "the lip and the cup". Technology may come to our rescue yet. I sure hope so. I want to be driving a motor coach until the Lord says no more.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Who's going to give up their oatmeal to feed it? This is just another taxpayer supported research boondoggle! Greeners go home!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandW View Post
This is just another taxpayer supported research boondoggle! Greeners go home!
Check again. The report says:

" He noted, ironically, that the company’s science is so advanced that it can’t qualify for federal grants or subsidies: The government’s definition of biofuels requires the use of raw-material feedstock. "

I too sure hope technology can save us. Maybe the US can become the WalMart of global energy.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Be careful what you wish for as Walmart directly owns many factories in offshore locations. When Mother Nature alters her own to resemble what this outfit has done, will she be sued for infringement? It's still your oatmeal that's needed for the recipe to work!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry but between suing Mother Nature and losing my oatmeal I'm having trouble finding your point.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TandW,
Your post says "Who's going to give up their oatmeal to feed it? This is just another taxpayer supported research boondoggle!". It would be great to understand the facts that backup your remarks. Please let us know these facts.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you read the story carefully, you will note that it says that it is too advanced to get federal grants. I wish people would not condemn new stuff so soon. Many people said the automobile would not work years ago.They said it would never replace the horse! Imagine that.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mother nature owns the bugs. But then a man alters its genetics and claims ownership. Let us all hope he will accept liability also. Also, let me be the first to inform you that "fossel fuel" cannot be created by a man. Perhaps the man could call it "neofuel". And if you don't want to use existing technology to properly harvest the earth's resources then you will have to give up your oatmeal to conversion to "neofuel"!
Old 01-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
This would be great! I hope it works out.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TandW,
Thanks for the reply. Initially, I was interested in understanding the basis for your point of view. However, that interest no longer exists. Your last post allows me to properly categorize your point of view. Also, based on the information posted by you, in this thread, I doubt you'll ever be the first to notify me of anything positive.

For me, it is comforting to know scientists and engineers are working hard to determine how we can improve our planet. These fine people learn more every day.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #12

This is great news. The only problem is our political structure will not allow them to sell fuel until the politicians figure what their share is. Yes, I am saying our politicians are thieves. Not all but I would suggest way more than half.

They are the reason fuel has been so high so long. Has nothing to do with supply and demand. They are the ones that allow how much oil is pumped and explored for in this country. The supply and demand is an artificial number in the USA.

rops
Old 01-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rops View Post
They are the reason fuel has been so high so long. Has nothing to do with supply and demand. They are the ones that allow how much oil is pumped and explored for in this country. The supply and demand is an artificial number in the USA.rops
ABSOLUTELY - but it looks like you and I are the only ones who recognize that fact...

Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote