Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by radams View Post
You're right about my logic. There are parts of cities that I don't drive through at night, there are rest stops in areas that I'm leery of, and there are places no one should go alone. If I make a poor decision and end up suffering the consequences then I accept the responsibility and don't lay it off on others. I've never had anyone to blame but myself.
Absolutely, I grew up in a bad neighborhood we had to walk some of our friends home at night, but if you went there by yourself you didn't go home to mama. You took your licks and learned.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Especially with the cost of the drones being low (less an 1 million each), there should be several flying over that area 24/7 and when they see something happening, give them a missile shot. They wouldn't even know what happened.
You do realize the area to be covered is bigger than Texas. More than just a few drones required.

We can not police the world, nor can be provide body guards for every citizen that decides to go somewhere there are known pirates, terrorists, drug cartels. It's tough enough just going after them once they find their kiesters in trouble.

I doubt you will see any serious efforts to eliminate the pirates as long as they still hold 600+ people hostage.

We should not expect too much from a government that won't take sufficient action to prevent Mexican drug cartels from invading the US. How bout bring home the 30k troops from Korea who have had 60 years to figure out how to protect themselves, and put these guy's on the border.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Four Americans brutally murdered by somali pirates:

Somali Pirates Kill Four U.S. Hostages - WSJ.com

When is our "government" going to do something about this? How many more people have to die before Washington decides to man up and send in some firepower to deal with the problem? Negotiating and "international cooperation" aren't working. I don't know about you but I am thoroughly disgusted by this.
Some common sense comes into play as well. I know one place I will not be taking my family for pleasure cruises or safaris any time soon. That journey of theirs was a suicide run imho.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know this is ''over the top'' but if I were in charge this is what I would do.

One. These pirates sail out of a port somewhere on the coast....
Two.. Find the area with the most pirates on it.. (really easy, just look for boats without fishing gear on them)
Three. Hit that port with an air strike blowing up all boats and dock facilities.
Four. Ask the pirates to release the hostages...
Five. If no hostages are released or hostages are harmed, air strike another port area blowing up all boats and dock facilities.
Six. Ask the pirates to release the hostages.
Seven... (repeat step five)
Eight. Eventually one of two things will happen. perhaps two things.
a. the pirates will release the hostages
b. there will be no more boats for the pirates to use to hi jack any more ships.

One final note. Use our Navy or the Russian Navy and catch pirates in the act of stealing a ship. Take staples and ''staple'' the pirates private parts to deck in their attack boat. Give each pirate a dull rusty knife and set the pirates boat on fire. Leave the pirate boat with haste and watch the water around the burning pirate boat for swimmers that are leaking blood. Take the survivors back to Samalia and drop them on the beach. You will not have trouble with pirates again........ PROBLEM SOLVED.....

God bless our troops .....
Old 02-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
I know this is ''over the top'' but if I were in charge this is what I would do.

One. These pirates sail out of a port somewhere on the coast....
Two.. Find the area with the most pirates on it.. (really easy, just look for boats without fishing gear on them)
Three. Hit that port with an air strike blowing up all boats and dock facilities.
Four. Ask the pirates to release the hostages...
Five. If no hostages are released or hostages are harmed, air strike another port area blowing up all boats and dock facilities.
Six. Ask the pirates to release the hostages.
Seven... (repeat step five)
Eight. Eventually one of two things will happen. perhaps two things.
a. the pirates will release the hostages
b. there will be no more boats for the pirates to use to hi jack any more ships.

One final note. Use our Navy or the Russian Navy and catch pirates in the act of stealing a ship. Take staples and ''staple'' the pirates private parts to deck in their attack boat. Give each pirate a dull rusty knife and set the pirates boat on fire. Leave the pirate boat with haste and watch the water around the burning pirate boat for swimmers that are leaking blood. Take the survivors back to Samalia and drop them on the beach. You will not have trouble with pirates again........ PROBLEM SOLVED.....

God bless our troops .....
Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #20

Seajay,

Let's say steps 1 - 4 were executed as described. However, pirates being pirates and from what I have read nothing like Jack Sparrow, decide to start wasting hostages... all 600. What is step five? Who gets to explain to the hostages home countries [moderator edit] happened?

I suspect the pirates would care less what you did to the ports.

Just a thought...

Tom

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
Old 02-23-2011, 03:47 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel for the families and friends of those killed. They, should feel bad, for not trying to convince these folks to "turn around" and head for safe waters.

Some personal responsibility on their parts could have saved their own lives. Sad and stupid waste of life. JMHO

I don't want to risk the life of even one of our military, to try and save me from my own dumb decisions.

We might make a dent if we go by their rules.....no rules.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #22

Maybe we should hold off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
Seajay,

Let's say steps 1 - 4 were executed as described. However, pirates being pirates and from what I have read nothing like Jack Sparrow, decide to start wasting hostages... all 600. What is step five? Who gets to explain to the hostages home countries [moderator edit] happened?

I suspect the pirates would care less what you did to the ports.

Just a thought...

Tom
Maybe we should hold off for awhile. I mean we already waited so long and they've only accummulated a few hundred hostages. We should wait till they've got a couple thousand or more to make it worthwhile.

No boats No pirates

Ignore history and you are doomed to repeat it.

Thomas Jefferson (a president) WAITED then he SENT A SHIP waited HAD THE SHIP CAPTURED(the best one we had) then DECIDED TO KICK BUTT.

What?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
This thread is now closed.

Although the topic brings to light concerns we all have about travel abroad, posts containing political comments, violent retribution or speculation why the people were in that area are not in keeping with our Mission & do not belong here.

Please keep those affected by this tragedy, as well as those still in peril, in your prayers.

Lori-
Closed Thread