Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Fourth doctor's office, nothing new...

DW and I went to Baltimore today, to consult with another orthopedic surgeon, about my knee. I've already seen two Ortho doctors and one surgeon, that said he wasn't comfortable doing the surgery I need. I have a partially torn ACL and a completely torn PCL.

When we got to the doctor's office, we were told that the surgeon had been called away for an emergency and that they couldn't reach us in time to keep us from making the trip. We did talk to the surgeon's PA and he did a thorough examination. He wasn't very concerned with my ACL, but said I had a grade two-plus PCL tear. He also told us that they don't want to do the 4-5 hour repair surgery on someone my age(47).. Like I'm 106 years old!!

I explained my situation at work and that there is no "Light duty" on the railroad. He said he would talk to the surgeon in the morning and that they would call me.

As has been the case for the last 2 months and 23 days, we are still in limbo.

They did fit me for a custom brace, specifically designed for a torn PCL. It's a lot smaller than what I've been using and is designed to be worn under my pants. Hopefully, I'll be able to do a bit more with it.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Sorry to hear. I struggled for years with two collapsed knees. I had the cartilages removed from both knees at age 15. Forty five years later I had both knees replaced. I now walk three miles every morning and never felt better. I hope you can find similar results with yours.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

EMD_ Driver , I hope you get it worked out. I know knee pain. I've been in almost the same situation.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Gary, sure hope you get in straightened out! Those knee problems can be bad!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #5

I've had three knee operations. Two on the left and one on the right. The second on the left and the one on the right were done at our Bone & Joint Clinic. Couldn't be happier with the results!

Check around & find a B&J Clinic
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #6

Elliot Orthopedics, Manchester, NH. Bring propane.

Dartmouth Hitchcock in Lebanon, NH is good I hear, be we have all of our repairs done at the Elliot shop.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
If this crap keeps up, we'll have to make a road trip!
Old 01-22-2015, 03:29 PM   #8

Gary, try Dana Mears, Greater Pittsburgh orthopedic associates, 412-661-5500, Replaced my knee 2+ years ago, best surgeon I know of. Have two siblings with replacements, He was better than either one of theirs.
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 05:25 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I had two arthroscopies and an ACL reconstruction and then finally, a total knee replacement two years ago yesterday. So many "bandaids" until I was deemed to be old enough to have the replacement! At the hospital I met three men in their early 40's who got hip replacements! Why they give everyone such a hard time to make a knee joint workable without pain because of one's age is disgusting!
Krafty52k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #10

The older the better because a total joint replacement is something you only want to do once. It ain't like changing piston rings. Plus, joint replacements have an uncertain lifespan because everyone is different. At 54 years of age I had the upper part of my arm replaced with high quality steel because I broke it into smithereens. At the 10 year point I'll be 64 and at 20 years 74. Who knows what sort of functionality I'll have out of that joint in 20 years.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Saw the fifth doctor yesterday. His exact words were: "If you need a knee replacement, I'm your guy! You are too young for that and the surgery you need is extremely complicated. It's a 4-5 hour surgery and one that you will have a hard time, finding anyone willing to do."
Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #12

EMD I wonder if there are other issues complicating things surgery. I have had 4 knees replaced. The revisions (replace the replacements) took 5 hours each and i was in my 60's. Both revisions were done with nerve blocks and not general anesthesia. I was wake for the last 3 hours of the last one talking to the anesthesiologist about rving .

Some of the advancements in knee surgery are now allowing the surgeons to replace only wear points on the knees joint. A much less traumatic process. I would certainly explore partial knee surgery. Your ligament surgery may be another matter
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
EMD I wonder if there are other issues complicating things surgery.
My problem is, that I have a lot of damage in my knee. My medial collateral ligament and lateral collateral ligament are all that is holding my knee together. The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments are both gone. The meniscus is also damaged. The knee replacement is not an option.

The surgery I need to have done, is complicated and time consuming. I have only found one doctor, out of five, that is even willing to open me up. He is scheduling me for arthroscopic surgery, to repair the meniscus. While he is in there, he will inspect everything else and we will see about the ligament replacement.

I'm in a holding pattern right now. The initial surgery is now tentatively scheduled for 13FEB15..
Old 01-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #14

Gary I had no ACL at all, so my replacement knee has a rod running all the way thru the joint to prevent hyperextension. Also I have one of the knees with replaceable wear pads, have to go back every 4-5 years to get them checked, supposedly a simple surgery to replace them. Don't be afraid of replacements, they are doing some great things now. One thing though, you need a great PT for the rehab. Just as important as the surgeon.
RMWV is offline   Reply With Quote