Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #1

I just got hit by theives. Keep your credit card and checking account statements checked. Notify bank that it is FRAUD not a dispute. My daughter's checking account is linked to mine (old student account that hasn't be switched over) and I supposedly "transferred" $19.95 out of her account. For more info check this out here:
http://www.robertkbrown.com/2005/10/...ge_update.html

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #2

I just got hit by theives. Keep your credit card and checking account statements checked. Notify bank that it is FRAUD not a dispute. My daughter's checking account is linked to mine (old student account that hasn't be switched over) and I supposedly "transferred" $19.95 out of her account. For more info check this out here:
http://www.robertkbrown.com/2005/10/...ge_update.html

Old 11-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #3

Also beware of emails supposedly from your bank. Never click on an email link to your bank. Always type it in yourself. w.mybank.com etc. If you do click the link, check the address bar at the top. If the first words are not your banks name or has extra letters or words, IT IS NOT YOUR BANK!!! Forward the email to your bank's fraud department. dh clicked the link in an email he got because it said that they suspected someone other than him was trying to access his account and he went there. It said it needed to verify his information and he put in ALL of his info. He told me about it just afterward and I had a cow!!! We called the bank immediately. Luckily I keep an account there in my own name w/o his info so we transferred all of our money into my account and started the process of opening a new one. It was a big pain because our bank is out of state. Long time to get things straight. He also contacted the credit bureaus and put a fraud alert on his name. Luckily we have had no problems since.

Be aware. And, like Lorna said, always check your statements thoroughly. We also bought something one time and they put us in some club and started taking 19.95 a month out of our account for it. It was dh's account and I did not normally check his. I happened to be going over them and found they had been taking it out for several months. Asked him and he called and cancelled, but they would not reverse any past charges.

These days make banking easier, but also easier on the thieves.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #4

Yep, Banks will NEVER e-mail you and ask for personal info. NEVER click on links in e-mails.
And I always check my credit card accounts and bank accounts online several times a week. It only takes a short time. And easy to setup.

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Heres another one....

I was called by a woman saying she was from my credit card. My payment was late and she was ready to take my payment on the phone with no charges of any kind. I was at work and had no access to my records told her she would have to call me later when I had a chance to check my records......
I wasn't late, and my credit card folks said they never called.

Be careful.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:28 AM   #6

Also, "skimmers" are becoming more popular.

Basically, a camera and a device that can read magnetic card data is enclosed in a housing that when attached over the card slot of an ATM appears to be part of the ATM. The thief later comes back for the device, which has stored electronic data and PIN numbers which are used to create white plastic cards that function as the victim's card...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:04 PM   #7

BOA is reissuing a new debit card. Luckily I can use David's card for any bills I need to pay. Guess I'll just have to carry a little cash on me until my card shows up.