Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
IMO the USPS needs to go away or be privatized and absorbed by UPS, FedEx, etc. It is next to useless. I have had more stuff stolen or damaged in shipping via USPS than I can count. All they deliver now is junk flyers. Even my bills are now all done online.
Sorry if this offends any retired or current postal employees but I'm willing to bet even you agree this isn't the same USPS of even ten years ago.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 07:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
IMO the USPS needs to go away or be privatized and absorbed by UPS, FedEx, etc. It is next to useless. I have had more stuff stolen or damaged in shipping via USPS than I can count. All they deliver now is junk flyers. Even my bills are now all done online.
Sorry if this offends any retired or current postal employees but I'm willing to bet even you agree this isn't the same USPS of even ten years ago.

Your plan might work if you are comfortable with spending $2.00 to $3.00 to mail a simple envelope! Consider checking what people pay in Europe for 1st class mail! I don't have any recent costs, but in 1990, it was almost $1.00 US!

Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
That only shows that you do not understand the problems with the USPS. Two Are that they really do deliver the mail and they make most of their income off of junk mail. None of the competition services as many places the PO does. Partly because the Congress will not let them stop doing it to every small hamlet some Congresscritter can find in his district.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:31 AM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I don't know... I guess I just look at things differently than many folks. USPS (post office) is a federal government entity. As such, the fact that they ever deliver any packages/mail is pretty impressive to me.
LMAO! Now THAT was funny! (I agree!). Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #19
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thread warning: No political posts allowed.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 05:12 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Thread warning: No political posts allowed.
Hi Lori,

If I understand correctly, this thread should never have been allowed at all, correct?

The reasoning for this would be that USPS is a government entity and the OP was criticizing it's ability to perform its intended purpose??

Just want to be sure I understand.
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:19 AM   #21

As the OP (Original Poster), I was actually commenting on three different points. One that the USPO was shipping two of my items and both of these items were dropped into their system on the same day, but the one 20 times further away got here first. The second point was the fact the item I needed the worst was the closest to me and the last to arrive. The third point was the USPS tacking system and how inadequate it is.

I carefully aimed my comments at the services and not the "government" or politics. Talking about services is allowed otherwise we wouldn't have much of a forum here. Imagine no talk about taxes on our RV's, inspections, drivers licences, toad brake requirements, fuel taxes, condition of our roads, the Lemon Law, gun laws, or even drug inspections while leaving Colorado (that one blew my mind and made me think). All of these discussions are government related in some way.

Having spent my working life in private sector and much of it in the public sector I can say that I have seen my fair share of work ethics both good and bad. I can say I had the privileged of spending 40 years of my life with so many good hard working people, and the bad ones, they generally, over time, get weeded out.

I will make one last comment about the "Government". In MY country MY Government is me. I vote, I get active in projects that concern me, and I try to make a difference.

How did I do Lori, our hard working and under appreciated moderator? Did I color within the lines on this discussion? Or are you going to ban me for life from this forum?
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #22

One more (political) point to consider is that the Post Office is a private, not government entity.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:05 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Tom, if you are kidding, you forgot the smiley face.

... still waiting for Lori's response to Pete's question....
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
I don't know... I guess I just look at things differently than many folks. USPS (post office) is a federal government entity. As such, the fact that they ever deliver any packages/mail is pretty impressive to me.
That is evidently because you believe the BS that government haters, and USPS competitors spew.
PJStough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I placed an order on Amazon.com for two small items. Each weighed only a few ounces and probably a tennis ball in size. One came from Japan and the other Chicago, IL. I got a notice both had left their respective warehouses on December 13 and were on the way by USPS. (the Japan one had to go into the Japan mail system first then to USPS.

The one from Japan (6,630 miles away) arrived December 17.
The one from Chicago (392 miles away) is showing that on December 20, it is still in the USPS Chicago facility!

Of course, the item from Chicago is a dishwasher repair part I need pretty bad.
So what date did the products arrive? The true shipping date is when the product gets to you. Relax
Old 12-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #26

I think the problem is that when you buy something from Amazon or eBay, the seller prints out a shipping label, and at that point, the item is in the shipping computer system. That label may take several days to be put on the item, after the item is boxed, packed, etc, and label affixed.

My wife bought a Christmas gift last year, that was "guaranteed to ship before Christmas", and it sat on their floor for a week without being shipped, and yet we could see the shipping details on the USPS website.

It arrived two days after Christmas. Because it sat at the shipping site with the label on it, but was not placed into USPS hands in time.

So, it isn't necessarily USPS fault. Sometimes it is the shipper's fault. And USPS computers show info that is not accurate.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:35 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
I think the problem is that when you buy something from Amazon or eBay, the seller prints out a shipping label, and at that point, the item is in the shipping computer system. That label may take several days to be put on the item, after the item is boxed, packed, etc, and label affixed.

My wife bought a Christmas gift last year, that was "guaranteed to ship before Christmas", and it sat on their floor for a week without being shipped, and yet we could see the shipping details on the USPS website.

It arrived two days after Christmas. Because it sat at the shipping site with the label on it, but was not placed into USPS hands in time.

So, it isn't necessarily USPS fault. Sometimes it is the shipper's fault. And USPS computers show info that is not accurate.
well said!