Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2010, 12:31 AM   #29

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Midniteoyl,
I hear this all the time. I can do this, I can do that. The bottom line is the talker has no proof and experience. The gauntlet has been laid down, go for it. If the challenge is not taken, then talk is too cheap and really not necessary.

I don't know of anyone using WIFI for any other reason than to connect to the Internet. WIFI is just a way to get to the router that gets one to the ISP that get one to the Internet. From a user point of view the precautions are the same.

No...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
As others have said, the only websites that are safe are ones that are https://. If it doesn't have that "s" you are vulnerable.
Again.. this has nothing to do with whether you are secure 'on the net'. With WiFi, the intercept comes before/after the net...

Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Again.. this has nothing to do with whether you are secure 'on the net'. With WiFi, the intercept comes before/after the net...
No, that is incorrect. Sticking to https sites not only protects you from Firesheep sidejacking (and similar) it is currently the only way to protect yourself when on free WiFi.

How To Protect Your Login Information From Firesheep

Stephen
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:48 AM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgl1500 View Post
From the horse's mouth is the only site I trust.

Malwarebytes
Thanks John.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 AM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Exclamation

Coffee house WIFI for Dummies Coffee shop WiFi for dummies
Interesting article with helpful information.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The most common way to steal a password is still the old note left in a desk drawer or other place.. Like the person who left his wallet on the counter at a hotel.. He had his ATM card in the wallet and since it was not easy to remember he'd written his PIN on the card..... You can likely guess the next part of the story (The clerk cleaned out his account if you can't) and I will tell you the rest.. The ATM took the clerk's picture.. The State police took a few of her too. With numbers.

One thing that you need to do is watch out for fake Wi-Fi sites.. Those can get you big time. Learn the nodes you use.

But truthfully.. You break into my accounts you are going to get away with what..... $0.68.. Not worth the 20 years you may well spend without internet access.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #35

Just for the this thread I start searching the internet and found ways to hack both WEP and WPA secured WiFi... Even found videos to teach you how... I'm sure if you do some digging you can find out too...

Plenty of good readin'
how to hack wifi - Google Search

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfrantz View Post
No, that is incorrect. Sticking to https sites not only protects you from Firesheep sidejacking (and similar) it is currently the only way to protect yourself when on free WiFi.

How To Protect Your Login Information From Firesheep

Stephen

Still.. No. It seems that people getting screwed will happen for at least the foreseeable future as nobody actually understands... or want to.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Interesting little plugin for Firefox, this is why I use a 128bit encrypted Socks 5 Tunnel.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Interesting little plugin for Firefox, this is why I use a 128bit encrypted Socks 5 Tunnel.
Good way to help prevent 'Evil Twin' and 'Man in the Middle'..Set your DNS to use it too..
Old 12-24-2010, 03:31 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Good way to help prevent 'Evil Twin' and 'Man in the Middle'..Set your DNS to use it too..
I use a utility known as an anonymizer which basically hijacks the WinSocks system on the PC its setup on and routes ALL DNS and other traffic through the Socks 5 proxy, once the tunnel is opened, no further local DNS calls are made.

I've been using it for quite some time, the system I usually connect out through is behind a custom built PC which uses an OS whose sole purpose is to be a router and firewall.

So, when I go out on the net, my connection is also going through a defended system I custom built. This system has been running without fail and without breach for 7 years now (365 days a year, with only a few downtimes due to power outages or ISP failures .

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote