Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2018, 06:14 AM   #1

Fuel Stops, RV Friendly

Made 1st trip in 29' Itaska with toad. Ran I-75 From FL to MI. Had trouble finding Fuel stops that were RV friendly as in enough room to manuver.
Is there a forum that lists 'FRIENDLY" fuel stops on each Interstate.

trebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Pilot/Flying J, Loves, TA, Speedway. All truckstop have room to maneuver as do some Murphy store connected to Walmart. If in doubt do a Google Earth view of the place you are thinking of stopping.

chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
For gasoline, we look specifically for Flying-J.. Most have RV islands that make getting in and out a lot easier..

They have an app "MyPilot" for the smart phone that shows locations, fuel costs, and if it has an RV island.. Note that Pilot and Flying J are owned by the same company and both show up in the app. We've ran across a few "Pilot" that have a RV island, but the majority do not. On the other hand, The majority of Flying J do have the island, but there are a few that do not.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Happily we have now run across Pilot stations who are remodeling and putting in RV friendly pumps just like Flying J. They even have propane.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 30' gasser, and tow a car. I find most of the Love truckstops really tight, Pilot, and Flying J only a little better. I normally look for Flying J, because a lot of these have RV lanes, which makes my life a lot easier.

I was in Northern Florida yesterday, and stopped at a Busy Bee truckstop off of I-10 (Live Oak exit, rt 129), and while there was no RV lane, the distance between the gas pumps and the parking in front of the building seemed a little roomier than most. This is the only Busy Bee I've ever been to, so I can't say if this is normal.

John Coffey
2012 Monaco Lapalma 30 SFS
jayc2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've run across 1 new Loves that has RV islands in AZ off I40 exit 9. It's easy to spot, that's where all the bikers tours and sports car rally drivers swarm in so RVs can't get near the pumps.

Glenn
Old 04-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
I mainly stick to Pilot/Flying J with RV islands. RV lanes are huge and I don't have to feel bad about blocking a second pump even though I can get it to a normal pump.

Here's my little 22' with a 17' trailer. Plenty of room!

Just don't be this guy:
Old 04-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #8

I have a 43 foot Class A pulling a Jeep Wrangler behind. I only stop at Pilot/Flying J and use the semi lane. The prices may be a little more but I donít have to drive thru town looking for a station I can fit in and I have a Good Sam discount pay at the pump card that give me a few cents off the posted cash price.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #9

When I driving long distance on the freeways and don't have the desire to look for surface street stations that have room for my rig (39' pusher + toad), I always use Pilot/Flying J using my Pilot/Flying J card. Save 6 - 8 cents from posted prices. I always get in line with the big trucks and have never wanted more room and rarely, very rarely, been frowned at by any truckers.

Seems to me (just might be me) that TA, Love's, Pilot/Flying J,etc. are involved in price gouging and price fixing. "If you have the time" you can save good money by looking for a regular gas/diesel station that you can fit into. I saved 20 cents a gallon at a BP that was about a half mile off of I-75. Makes me smell a rat when the truck stops have diesel at much higher prices.

BTW, all gas stations seem to have a "good boys network" that gives all of them the price for the day. Same fuel that's been in the underground tanks for a week at the station is now available for 15 cents more than yesterday.
Papawto5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:38 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebot View Post
Is there a forum that lists 'FRIENDLY" fuel stops on each Interstate.
Buy "the Next Exit" book and look for entries printed in red ink. "Red" means more room to maneuver. "tNE" also lists stores, restaurants, motels, interstate rest areas, weigh stations, and the like.

Note: "the Next Exit" only covers the interstates.

I find it indispensable for planning and when on the road.

No batteries required, either. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #11

I'll second "The Next Exit", but we also double check google earth during the planning phase, and then I add those stops to my GPS navigation.
FinsUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also check out grocery chains and Walmart fuel areas. Frequently lower prices or loyalty discounts and enough room to maneuver. Besides, you need groceries anyway. Agree that Google aerial views help determine if you can fit or not.
Dave RVM#66 and Carol
1998 Pace Arrow Vision
Seeing the USA - 200 miles at a time
daveandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 11:24 PM   #13

Probably a dumb question, but can you get regular unleaded gas in the truck areas at truck stops?.....such as Pilot and Flying J. Recently got my first travel trailer and going to the Badlands this summer.

Thanks in advance.
mortsciAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortsciAndy View Post
Probably a dumb question, but can you get regular unleaded gas in the truck areas at truck stops?.....such as Pilot and Flying J.
I have only seen diesel pumps on the truck side of Pilots and Flying Js. Don't go through there often, though.

l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel