Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
sgtjoe's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,809
Fun Camp Grounds

We are in our 60's and enjoy hanging out with other folks, but can't find a RV park where the OLD folks stay up after dark. Currently where we are no one comes out after it gets dark. We have a camp fire to hang out around. Is there somewhere out there we can have fun after dark?
__________________

__________________
Joe & Angie
Shih Tzu's Cookie & Rocky
2001 Tradewinds 7390 2011 CRV EX-L Navi w/ RoadMaster FuseMaster
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
RedRaider93's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 412
LOL. Your post made me laugh. Just curious, where are you now? I'm sure you will find some pretty lively RV parks out there. If I was there, I would hang out with you!
__________________

__________________
Jeff & Kris
2016 Foretravel Realm & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Cypress, TX
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Bruce C's Avatar
 
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NH
Posts: 5,099
I see that often, were in our seventies and wonder what the attraction is to stay inside so much. We'll sit outside by the fire and most times it's just us outside, everyone else is inside watching tv. No thanks.
__________________
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Betr2Trvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,067
Outside after dark...... How about ever outside (other than just wandering around the CG or walking their dog).

I think one of the most amazing things we observed during our first year RVing, is how few people are ever outside enjoying themselves.

Seems like we are about the only ones that enjoy being outside. Ok, we learned very quickly about the no-seeunms and nasty little black mosquitoes in FL and Hilton Head as soon as the sun starts going down this fall, but still.......

Having thier morning coffee, nope, just me.

Having lunch, nope, seems like just us.

Cooking on thier grill, and eating outside, nope, seldom see anyone but us.

Enjoying the sun, reading a book, watching a ballgame or race on thier outside TV, nope, just us. Or, just having an evening beer or cocktail outside, nope, seems most everyone is hiding inside, or went out to dinner and comes home and locks themselves inside.

Funny thing is, how many people, the wanderers and dog walkers, we meet while we are sitting outside......... and if I am watching a game or race outside, someone usually stops by to chat.

However, many have all the chairs set up, rug, lights, decorations, but actually being outside, nope, seldom see anyone.

Sure, there are a few people, and some do the campfire thing too, but it seems to be very few people enjoy being outside anymore. Actually, we saw the same thing in our S&B. People want a big deck, expensive outdoor furniture, fancy outside fireplace, built in BBQ, but they never seemed to use them.......

I'm sure it is probably different in the state and national park campgrounds where you have a lot of tent campers, smaller pop ups, and TTs, and we were at one CG at the Jersey Shore with mostly those smaller units with families, and there was a lot more activity. Oh, and at Ocean Lakes there was the evening golf cart parade at dusk.......

But at the "RV Resorts", not much outside activity at all other than the wanderers and dog walkers.....

Regards
__________________
D&S
2015 Tiffin Allegro 31SA; 24k chassis, Sumo springs
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:46 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Indy Glenn's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 917
Blog Entries: 2
Not sure where you are but if possible, check out a state park here in Indiana.

We set up an outdoor kitchen, with a propane stove & grill, electric griddle, and of course our wood fire. So we cook and eat outside........come see us....

I too like to sit out at night by a fire and sip on Old #7 or Old #7 "Fire" in the cooler weather. Now and again - a S'more can be found being made.

Morning coffee - an old occupational mandate was getting up and out early - nothing like a cup of joe next to a fire........nothing like the smell of bacon on an open fire...

Indiana State Parks have a pretty lively bunch - yes - there are the dog walkers (us), bike riders (us), walkers (us), camp site visitors (me).........

When can I expect you at our camp site????????

g
__________________
Angie & Glenn and Haddington the Airedale pup.
2017 Newmar Canyon Star 40', FMCA, NKK - Home based in the Heartland of America: Brownsburg, In 🌽🌽 🏁 Retired Army Sergeant Major
My home town: Brooklyn, New York
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:10 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
Around dusk I pull out the banjo or guitar and sit by the campfire. Does not take long before other start to gather
__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
RedRaider93's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cypress, TX
Posts: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifemember View Post
Around dusk I pull out the banjo or guitar and sit by the campfire. Does not take long before other start to gather
That's a great idea! I play guitar, but I never thought to bring one with me on the RV. That would be so much fun to meet another guitarist and jam around the campfire!
__________________
Jeff & Kris
2016 Foretravel Realm & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Cypress, TX
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bartlesville Oklahoma
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider93 View Post
That's a great idea! I play guitar, but I never thought to bring one with me on the RV. That would be so much fun to meet another guitarist and jam around the campfire!
The best are the children, I play a lot of folk songs that the children can sing along with. (old standards) They are the first to show up then the parents come looking for them. I'm not that good but have a lot of fun.
__________________
1996 Damon DayBreak 454 P37 Chassis
Lifemember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
lgarcia's Avatar
 
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 545
I bring my ukulele and play outside all the time. It is a nice portable instrument that can be softly played. I prefer to play classical, but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea. So, I play a little classical, but mostly the country, folk, and rock from the 40's to 70's that I grew up with. I also do the grandkid songs like Lifemember, Then there is something for everybody, it seems. And, I really don't think I my playing is the reason everyone is huddled in their RV's. Some have even asked me to play again the next night so they can listen.
__________________
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH, 2015 Ram1/2 ton Hemi
lgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jayco Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,904
I hit the sack when it gets dark and I gotta tell you, I'm really worried about daylight savings time.
__________________
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
Outside after dark...... How about ever outside (other than just wandering around the CG or walking their dog).

I think one of the most amazing things we observed during our first year RVing, is how few people are ever outside enjoying themselves.

Seems like we are about the only ones that enjoy being outside. Ok, we learned very quickly about the no-seeunms and nasty little black mosquitoes in FL and Hilton Head as soon as the sun starts going down this fall, but still.......

Having thier morning coffee, nope, just me.

Having lunch, nope, seems like just us.

Cooking on thier grill, and eating outside, nope, seldom see anyone but us.

Enjoying the sun, reading a book, watching a ballgame or race on thier outside TV, nope, just us. Or, just having an evening beer or cocktail outside, nope, seems most everyone is hiding inside, or went out to dinner and comes home and locks themselves inside.

Funny thing is, how many people, the wanderers and dog walkers, we meet while we are sitting outside......... and if I am watching a game or race outside, someone usually stops by to chat.

However, many have all the chairs set up, rug, lights, decorations, but actually being outside, nope, seldom see anyone.

Sure, there are a few people, and some do the campfire thing too, but it seems to be very few people enjoy being outside anymore. Actually, we saw the same thing in our S&B. People want a big deck, expensive outdoor furniture, fancy outside fireplace, built in BBQ, but they never seemed to use them.......

I'm sure it is probably different in the state and national park campgrounds where you have a lot of tent campers, smaller pop ups, and TTs, and we were at one CG at the Jersey Shore with mostly those smaller units with families, and there was a lot more activity. Oh, and at Ocean Lakes there was the evening golf cart parade at dusk.......

But at the "RV Resorts", not much outside activity at all other than the wanderers and dog walkers.....

Regards
Yep. Everyone seems to insist on an "outside entertainment system" or an "outside kitchen" yet I've never actually seen one being used. I really do get a kick out of the people who must spend a whole day or more decorating the outside of their rig with lights, mats, chairs, pink flamingos, etc. where ever they stay; only to never be seen outside. Maybe it's just a "nesting" thing.

As far as finding the "lively" people, it's been my experience that the more large class A rigs there are in a park the less lively it'll be. The younger people (families) are usually in travel trailers and fifth wheels while the retirees are in the large class A units. The "RV Resorts" are usually full of retirees and the "Campgrounds" are usually full of families and people who generally want to be outside.

Of course this is all my personal experience.
__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
stan5711's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Midland,Texas
Posts: 537
We go to a lots of COE parks and state parks,they are more fun and the people are more friendly,you see people outside enjoying themselves.
In the RV parks I set outside all the time and I think I'm the only one that does,people will walk by and I try to meet and talk to them,some will,most wont.You will run across some really rude folks in some of the RV parks,
__________________
Stanley & Barbara
2002 38" Monaco Knight Dp
stan5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
RangeMaggotBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
I hit the sack when it gets dark and I gotta tell you, I'm really worried about daylight savings time.
__________________
2014 RAM 2500 CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD CCLB Auto
2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Package
Honda eu2000i generators
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,033
We are full timers and like many full timers, we stay inside and leave the campgrounds to those who only have the weekend to camp. We can stay longer and then we have the entire week to enjoy the campground after all the weekend campers have gone home. I also admit to being more and more reluctant to douse myself in poison in order to enjoy the outdoors. If the bugs are bad, we generally stay inside. We love campfires too but as a full timers, we cannot afford to have them every night. Wood can be expensive. We love to hike, bike, etc. but you usually will not see us perform those activities because you have left for home.
__________________

__________________
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Camp Grounds around Shreveport, LA cb5300 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 1 08-31-2010 08:33 PM
Camp Grounds around El Paso, TX MaxRock Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 6 04-22-2008 06:23 AM
Florida, southern Georgia camp grounds chickie Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 8 09-03-2007 05:32 PM
Low voltage in camp grounds Donald Norder sr. MH-General Discussions & Problems 27 08-16-2006 09:13 AM
New Brunswick Camp Grounds brad03ca Canada Region 20 07-18-2006 10:51 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.