Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2014, 09:41 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Making my rounds as host I came upon a really nice 5er, new, with levelars. Walked over to the group of 2 or 3 men all observing this husband and wife hooking up, they were all leaving together.
Well of course the wife didNt back the truck up according to DH directions and repeating the directions in a much higher tone didNt help. Wife exited truck and joined other ladies standing nearby and husband jumps in truck, backs in, click 5th wheel hooked up.

He jumps out the truck door, rushes back to pull tire blocks out and roll up core only to see truck and 5er roll back and fast enough to jump the concrete wheel stop. Luckily he had left truck door standing open, wife jumped in just in time to stop whole rig from going in water.

Immediately all spectators departed the area. My heart was racing for hours after this.

I just wonder if any of their traveling companions helped them set up at next stop?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Oh these are funny
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We noticed a lot of yelling ( In a heavy accent) at about 2am, I tried to ignore it and went to bed, but after about 1/2 an hour, I got nosey and went outside.
Found an Asian couple and their two kids, trying to back a 30 foot trailer with a new SUV into a narrow spot.
I offered my advise and help but was told by the DW they didn't need my help (she was clearly the dominate spouse).
After 2 hours the yelling stopped.
Next morning I headed for the club house to have some coffee, as I walked by the site I laughed, The trailer was jacked in about 25 degrees off center, the electrical post was flat on the ground, the sewer hose was thrown in the next space, and the SUV was still attached.
After coffee I looked again and they were packing to leave.
I talked to the husband and he said the SUV was new, the trailer was new and they had never camped before, plus they had bought a lifetime membership in the park.
oops.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:37 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
It was a holiday weekend and all the amateurs were out. We had been watching the numerous attempts by many of the campers to back into their sites. Somewhat amusing. But it got better when the folks across from us arrived. They must have backed their new trailer in a dozen times before they got it close to right, and gave up. Next door to them where a couple of young ladies who where attempting to set up a tent. Well both finished about the same time when the trailer folks realized they hadn't unhooked from their truck. So they unhooked while on a slope without chocking their wheels. Trailer starts rolling backwards at the same time a gust of wind blows and the tent starts rolling end over end down the road, with the young ladies in hot pursuit. They had forgotten to "chock" their tent to the ground.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 AM   #19

Talking

Some of these read like a cross of The Three Stooges with Benny Hill.....
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crippsfl View Post
Every so often I get the urge to do something like that. Usually, I sit down, open a beer and wait for the feeling to go away

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:33 AM   #21

Last summer we were camping at General Butler State Park in Carrolton, KY. Our campsite was sort of on the side of the road, and directly in front of me was a back-in site. I was sitting in the recliner watching some TV when this huge 5th wheel arrives. It was all I could see through my windshield. Honestly, it was the biggest 5th wheel I've seen. They jockeyed, back up, went to and fro and finally got it placed. I watched as they disconnected their truck, pulled out their awning, put up the awning lights, setup the picnic table with tablecloth and flowers, got out a doggy yard, sat out a sign with their name, put out some plastic flamingo's, I mean really went all out with the camping setup. I got sleepy and fell asleep in my chair. When I woke up about an hour later IT WAS GONE!

Later than evening, I went for a walk around the park and found they had moved to another site a few roads over.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:51 AM   #22

One evening my wife and I were taking a walk around the campground and saw this big 40+ foot diesel pusher backed partway into a camp spot. As we were walking back to our camp the big diesel pusher was still in the same position and the driver was still looking and shaking his head. Curiosity got the better of me so I walked up and started a conversation with a friendly Hello. He responded with "can you help me?" I just rented this darn thing, I've never driven one before, never backed one before and I can't seem to back it into this small space without hitting something

I very calmly and without trying to be sarcastic suggested to him he might find it easier to just pull forward, drive completely around the campground and drive into the spot. He had been assigned to a pull through spot and was trying to back into the entrance end of it! I stayed long enough to help him with his leveling and hookups.

We were all newbies once, right?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
This is not funny, but if someone had seen us, they may have laughed.

Pulled into a public campground in New Brunswick. Ranger said get a site and come back and register. We found the perfect, completely empty site near the ocean, unhooked the Jeep Liberty, set up, and connected utilities.
I walked back to the ranger station. She said "Oh, someone already has that site. They must have gone somewhere."
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #24

Many years ago, DWs uncle had just bought a motorhome and were camping beside us. In many ways, I like to leave people alone while they're setting up without offering help because in some ways I find it annoying (like when I'm backing in and someone runs over to "assist"). Anyway, uncle had arrived and backed into his spot, which was unlevel side-to-side. I watched as he got out and surveyed the situation. Then, he went inside and I hear the jacks activate. All jacks, all the way down. The motorhome is still unlevel, but now the wheels are nearly off the ground all the way around. He gets out, goes to the front and looks at is while he cocks his head a bit. "Hmm, still not level". So, he goes inside and retracts the jacks. I see him go to one of the basements and get out some leveling boards. He crawls around underneath and places the EXACT number of boards under each jack. Then, repeats the leveling process. Now, the motorhome is STILL unlevel, and even higher off the ground. I told DW, "okay, now I've got to help him out, this is driving me crazy."

He couldn't seem to understand the concept of leveling.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:03 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealevel Ram View Post
This is not funny, but if someone had seen us, they may have laughed.

Pulled into a public campground in New Brunswick. Ranger said get a site and come back and register. We found the perfect, completely empty site near the ocean, unhooked the Jeep Liberty, set up, and connected utilities.
I walked back to the ranger station. She said "Oh, someone already has that site. They must have gone somewhere."

Oh that's funny!!!!!! I know it wasn't at the time for you was it?

The little devil in me wants to take those "This Spot Is Taken" signs and move them to another occupied site and watch the fun. But the grownup in me would never allow me to do that
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #26

A number of years ago we were in a c/g in San Diego when a large new 5th was backing into his site. DW was in the back of it directing with a walkie talkie. All was good until she said "stop". The trailer didn't stop and almost ran over DW who jumped out from behind the trailer just in time before the trailer ran into the fence at the back of the site and knocked it over. He came out of the trailer and railed against DW asking why she didn't tell him he was that close to the fence. She replied " What part of stop didn't you understand??" They left the next day probably to put the trailer up for consignment!!

And just so you don't think I'm perfect:!!:

My wife and I took my Mom camping one day and after we set up and I got the chairs out for the 2 ladies I went inside to do a couple of things. A few minutes later I went outside and my Mom asked "what is that brown liquid running down the side of the MH from the roof?" "oh gollie gee" (or words to that effect) I said. I ran to the utilities bay and saw to my horror I had hooked up the city water hose to the black water flush inlet

Geoff
Old 02-10-2014, 08:35 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
There was this young couple, I want say who, that after their wedding left the church in a borrowed MH. At the church the normal decorations had been sprayed and tied to their MH, cans dragging and all. Leaving the church the parade of cars following honking their horns was luckily lost at a red light so the couple was on their way. Seeing a car wash they quickly sprayed off the sprayed on decorations and was able to continue their honeymoon without all the world knowing they were newly weds. After stopping to eat they finally arrived at CG after dark, very dark, no moon, no streetlight.

Park Ranger meet couple at park entrance, he walked up to drivers window which the driver slide open to talk to him. Ranger lead couple in camper to their spot and even helped them back into spot therefore couple never had to get out of camper till next day!

Awaking next morning thinking they were out in wilderness all alone this couple opened the curtains to find a tent within arms reach of the bedroom window! Bride was reluctant to leave camper but groom went out to hook up and noticed their wash job was a little hurried! On radio antenna that was next to driver window, the one the Ranger was looking up at, still had a pair of ladies panties tied to it! Walking around the rear of MH he found that string of cans were gone, thankfully, but still attached was streamers that were tied to bumper and since he backed in was mostly underneath the MH.

Quick cleanup was done and no eye contact with any of neighbors for next couple days!
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does seen by others still count?
Back in '79 for honeymoon rented a GMC coach. After we left reception first stop was at a car wash to clean the coach of wedding graffiti. Stayed that night up in northern Michigan. Morning arrives and we head out for a walk to be greeted to round of applause from our neighbors. Looking back at the coach, the poster paint had bled into the fiberglass and still faintly apparent was "Just Married" and behind it "Once a Prince - always a Prince. Once a Knight - is not enough". Scrub brushes and beer for all volunteers after a good laugh. - Tom
tcfamy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground

« RV length | papaw.1 »