Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I guess if you camp long enough you get to see some pretty odd things.
I was camping with ex and kids at a primitive campground in the Olympics. Woke up and opened tent door to see a young couple going at it in their vw van. Closed tent for awhile longer.

While workcamping in the redwoods a couple years ago when the big trees start to shed their accorns you'd think someone was throwing rocks. They are about the size of a small nut but they are dropping from 200feet up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #58

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well it wasn't in a campground but I saw a couple good ones yesterday. First I was following what I believe was an older HR with a toad. I could see that the MH was dog tracking severely. As we separated at an off ramp I saw that the toads front wheel were turned hard right which must have been pushing the back of the coach over. Those front tires were really peeling off rubber.

Later in the FJ in Kingman, AZ A couple had pulled into the gas pump to fill up. That FJ is not gas motorhome friendly and he had to back out of the pumps. He had a toad and backed up about 35 to 40 ft with it attached. The last 15 ft the toad turned of to the right, but the front wheels were steering to the left. That had to be putting some heavy strain on the tow bar and also the front suspension and steering of the car.

Glenn

Old 02-26-2014, 09:20 PM   #59

Thor Owners Club
This is an old story

I am certain I shared this story a long time ago some place else on irv2. I was one of our fishing adventures & camping.

Pastor friend of mine and his 30 yr old son had never fished in South Dakota before. They live in SC. Always wanted to fish for Walleye and Pike so I told them I would have them up for a week.

Another old buddy of mine retired postal guy. He always goes overboard on what ever he is doing. We use my boat and use crawler harnesses with a night crawler. It is not uncommon to go through 2-3 dozen worms a day. Fishing is excellent and sometimes you loose the fish on a bite.

So my buddy Don on his own orders about 5 flats of Night Crawlers. Heck that would last me a month!!! We load up and he has about another 4-5 coolers full of food & beverages. Well, my 5th wheel at the time could not possibly hold all of this so we packed a cabin tent to take along.

Were all set up, fishing is excellent, storing all the coolers and worms in the tent. One night a huge storm is approaching. The park rangers come to evacuate all of us to the showers. The radios are broadcasting warnings of how to take shelter, Stand in a Shower, get low, hold on to your ankles, if lightning is present do not run water. This was kind of funny listening to this. I had never heard this broadcast before. Well then the Ranger tells us that they just radioed in the tornado was a mile away from us and headed this way. Glad I had this preacher with me!

Storms came, winds blasting through the place, when all was said and done we headed back not knowing what we would find of our RV. Trees down, one accross a RV. Our 5r standing tall. But the TENT!! It was GONE!! We looked all over and found it finally wrapped around the 4X4 post that lists your camp site. Clear at the opposite end of the CG. If it had not hit that post it would have been in the water. All those worm flats and coolers inside still. The tent was FULL OF WORMS !! The next day we spent hours cleaning it up. We left and headed for another great lake for Pike fishing. Set up the Tent and we were still finding worms in the windows and other places. We laughed about this to this day and my pastor friend had a ball. Caught on one plug two fish at once. Says it was the best fishing trip he ever been on.

My buddy Don who brought all the worms. Well he fell out of the boat in a turn. Then I found out he tells me, that's the 3rd time he's fallen out of a boat fishing. And he was so big we could not get him back in. I had to tow him like a beached whale to the shoreline. Looked like a debris field out there from everything floating in the water from his pockets. Oh and the 46" Pike I caught, well it bit him in the thumb and you could hear him scream a mile away. I tell you what, I need to get one of those Go Pro cameras the next time I take him fishing!!
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #60

In the mid 70's my brother offered the use of his pickup with an 8' cabover camper in the back. Loaded the wife and three kids and our cocker spanial dog in the rig and off we went to Monument Lake in Colorado from the flat lands of the Texas Panhandle. Arrived at the lake set camp and enjoyed hotdogs and marshmellows by the fire. We all turned in early after the long day of travel.
About 7 am the next morning the dog woke us all with loud panic barking. The camper was rocking back and forth as if there was an earthquake. I jumped into my jeans and opened the door to see what was hapening. The dog ran out the door acting like he was going to chew on any bear within sight. Before I could put my foot on the ground, here came the dog with it's tail tucked and up into the camper he went.
I eased around and looked on both sides of the rig and saw nothing. The whole thing was rocking like a bucking horse. I eased on up to the front of the truck and saw what was causing all the turmoil.
A fair size buffalo was scratching his shoulder on the electric winch mounted on the front of my brothers rig.
We had to bang pots and pans to get the beast to move away from its new found sctatching post. Funny now but not so much then.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #61

Vintage RV Owners Club
Would have been great if you had gotten a picture of that...!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo55 View Post
In the mid 70's my brother offered the use of his pickup with an 8' cabover camper in the back. Loaded the wife and three kids and our cocker spanial dog in the rig and off we went to Monument Lake in Colorado from the flat lands of the Texas Panhandle. Arrived at the lake set camp and enjoyed hotdogs and marshmellows by the fire. We all turned in early after the long day of travel.
About 7 am the next morning the dog woke us all with loud panic barking. The camper was rocking back and forth as if there was an earthquake. I jumped into my jeans and opened the door to see what was hapening. The dog ran out the door acting like he was going to chew on any bear within sight. Before I could put my foot on the ground, here came the dog with it's tail tucked and up into the camper he went.
I eased around and looked on both sides of the rig and saw nothing. The whole thing was rocking like a bucking horse. I eased on up to the front of the truck and saw what was causing all the turmoil.
A fair size buffalo was scratching his shoulder on the electric winch mounted on the front of my brothers rig.
We had to bang pots and pans to get the beast to move away from its new found sctatching post. Funny now but not so much then.
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 04:24 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Ever watch the crazy action at a boat ramp ?? .
Years ago at a California CG with a narrow, one lane boat ramp, I watched as a young couple struggled to back the trailer with their brand spanking new 19' Jet Ski Boat into the water. This was one with the exposed 455 Olds V8 which were so popular in the 70's.

Just the backing up and launching was giving them troubles but then the DH pushed the boat back off the trailer without attaching a bow line. The boat floated away with the DW behind the wheel.

With boats all lined up to launch and recover waiting for the one lane to clear, the DH yelled to the wife to start the engine and pull it slowly toward the shore since there were no docks.

Well, she was obviously a novice but through no fault of her own, when she lit that thing up it was under full throttle and in gear. Jet boats will start in gear and provide quite a surprise if you forget to pull it into neutral before lighting it.

That boat hit the shore and tried to climb the hill... all the while spraying a rooster tail of mud.

Fortunately, nobody was hurt and about a dozen of us were able to muscle the boat back into the water and on to the trailer. My guess is that, during the final inspection, the dealer had somehow done something to bind and pull on the throttle cable resulting in it being at WOT when she hit the key.

Scary stuff.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:32 PM   #63

Fleetwood Owners Club
Several years back we were camping at a beachside campground on the Florida East coast. Like most of these beach campgrounds, it was very tight quarters. So tight, that the staff had to park some folks campers and motorhomes. We were sitting under awning when a very senior gentleman and his wife pulled in in a nice mh. The wife got out and proceeded to ground guide him as he was backing into the spot. She backed him squarely into a thatch roof picnic area and doing that broke the back window out of the mh.. He got out walked back looked, shook his head, got back in and proceeded to back in without any further help from wife. I walked over to offer him some plastic to cover the broken glass. I asked him how he stayed so calm, that I would have still been raising a ruckus. He said well son its like this, one I knew better than pay her any attention, two I have a very bad heart and cant allow myself the pleasure of flying off the handle, but the main reason is we rented this motorhome and this is covered by the insurance.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #64

Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1968 I sold a 13 ft. Shasta Compact to a fellow worker. In June he headed for Miami. I told him to spend the night at Stephan Foster state park.( in the heart of the Okefenokee swamp) I had forgotten that we had been there in the late fall. (no mosquito's) They went for a walk just before sundown. When the sun went down, the mosquito's came out. They had to each grab a kid and run for the camper. It was hot and no AC. his wife told him to go to the office and get a refund. They were leaving. He went to the office and they said he could not leave. The gate was 18 miles away and auto closed at sundown and auto opened at sunup. His frau was not happy. She told him over and over to never listen to me again.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to sailsam
Yeah. For those of us cruising in the Sea of Cortez setting anchor early and watching the late comers was an improvement over watching TV back in the states.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #66

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We were all newbies once, right?
I resemble that remark!

Have a bit of experience backing my TT into spots, but now I have to learn to back in the MH.
Red Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #67

Speaking of boats reminds me of a story told me by a good friend of mine who passed several years ago. He and his wife were avid boaters. One weekend they were at Rough River launching their boat. Walt was in the boat and Doris was behind the wheel of their 70 Country Squire wagon. Walt had lined the boat up on the boat ramp behind the wagon, then left Doris at the wheel to back the boat straight in the water. She backed it up a bit until the boat was slightly in the water. Walt yelled "back it up further!". So, she did. Still not far enough. Walt yelled again "Doris, back it up until the taillights are in the water (meaning the boat trailer lights). So she did. Backed that wagon in until the tailights were in the water and water was flowing into the open tailgate. Walt said she just sat there with the tailpipes bubbling under water and said "how's that?"
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
We do camp hoisting at one of the local state parks. Our designated camp site sets in the center of a large section with full hookups so we see rigs of all descriptions. Large DP that arrive, set out a couple chairs and spend a week to small TT that arrive and unload every camping gadget at camping world and Wal-mart and stay for 2 days.
How big are the camps that you hoist?

Many years ago I went fishing with a buddy and his wife. Well, supposed to fish. He got in the boat at the ramp parking lot, his wife was supposed to back the boat trailer down the ramp and he would launch the boat, tie up nearby, wife would park the truck/trailer, and we would walk back to the boat. Well, his wife backed down the ramp like a real pro, but he couldn't get the boat off the trailer so told her to back further down the ramp. Then, slowly, like slow-motion. the truck began to slide down into the water, when it finally stopped she was in water up to her chin. She just sat there, not saying a word. Turned out he had forgotten to remove the ty-down straps, the boat floated the trailer, which in turn removed all weight from the trucks rear axle.
Come to think about it, I never did hear her speak of that again. Bet he did though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #69

Fleetwood Owners Club
Duck hunting a couple years ago with a friend in his Explorer was pulling my boat. We turned down a levee next to a swollen stream as he was telling me about this great spot we were going too. About a mile down this narrow levee, very deep stream on one side, ditch and flooded field on other side, the levee was flooded under water. Not able to back up this great a distance or turn around we drove on hoping to come back up on higher ground.

As the tension was high, cause we couldn't tell if levee was washed out or just what was going to happen, it finally got daylight and my friend told me to turn around and look at my boat. The boat was strapped to trailer and floating along behind his Explorer, trailer and all. At this point I told him if he didNt mind I would just as soon ride in the boat!

Well we finally did come back to dry land, hunted all day and thankfully the water receded and left a much shallower road to exit on.

Just thought, this might be considered off topic, BUT, I have camped in by duck boat before, waiting on shoting hours! Lol
Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Probably been told before but: My Nephew was camping and just sitting and a pop up arrived and he said they took very little time to set it up and all of a sudden one bed end dropped to the ground and the young couple rolled out naked. Next was some yelling and they packed it all up and took off down the road! I suspect that tent pop up never got used again!

Tags
campground

« RV length | papaw.1 »