Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #29

Very few people realize the extent that our country is in debt, and the cost of promised benefits going forward. We have seen another country go through this, the USSR. With 21 years and counting, hoping for 0-6 and 28 years for retirement, times are really scary. The fact that the DOD is taking the brunt of the cuts, and that fact that sequester was designed like that is very telling.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Thought you guys might find this interesting:
Defense Department To Delay Furloughs For Civilian Employees
Old 03-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
The next Million Man March on Washington will likely be retirees and veterans if the mess with retirement. And there will most likely be a real million men in that one.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Wonder what they would do if we set up camp on the Mall?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricejh View Post
Wonder what they would do if we set up camp on the Mall?
Probably the typical platitudes followed by political and media spin.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
I suppose they could close campgrounds, or perhaps even some parks, monuments, etc...or reduce staffing hours.
This was a few days ago when I asked if any of the Federal campgrounds would close. We have made reservations to Mammoth Caves KY. for June. With the over-night fees helping to support those parks with overnight offerings, why would they close something that brings in $$$. I know for the cave tours you have to go thru Ticketmaster....

We also have 4 more nights at a KY. state park near by to stay in that area. I guess if they close the campground, we could always camp at a private CG as long as the caves are still open.

Last year while in the Smoky's both Federal CG's we stayed in were mostly filled the 9 nights we used them....And people were sure buying the gifts, maps, books and clothing at the National Park visitor centers....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 03-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #35

Well we got a two week reprieve with the possibility of some more in the future. So it saves me some money and I don't have to scrounge for ground worms for food.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post

This was a few days ago when I asked if any of the Federal campgrounds would close. We have made reservations to Mammoth Caves KY. for June. With the over-night fees helping to support those parks with overnight offerings, why would they close something that brings in $$$. I know for the cave tours you have to go thru Ticketmaster....

We also have 4 more nights at a KY. state park near by to stay in that area. I guess if they close the campground, we could always camp at a private CG as long as the caves are still open.

Last year while in the Smoky's both Federal CG's we stayed in were mostly filled the 9 nights we used them....And people were sure buying the gifts, maps, books and clothing at the National Park visitor centers....
Word was put a a week or so ago that Smoky Mtn Park would be closing two to four campgrounds this summer due to the budget cuts. Sorry, I don't know which ones.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #37

Country Coach Owners Club
This whole sequester thing is a bunch of hooey. The small amount of money involved isn't enough to cause all the problems that we are seeing. It is all fabricated, it is nothing but a political stunt. 85 billion out of a 16+ trillion deficit is peanuts. Sorry for those affected but there is only one to blame.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Talking about cuts to the Federal parks....I found this off of the RVBusiness website today:

National Parks Limit Operations to Satisfy Cuts

Print
March 21, 2013 by RV Business Leave a Comment

With spring vacations looming, popular destinations from Florida’s Gulf Stream waters to California’s redwood forest are now implementing mandatory spending cuts, known as sequestration, that started this month.
The failure of Congress and President Barack Obama to agree on reducing the deficit triggered $85 billion in cuts by Sept. 30 that are to be split between defense and non-defense spending, Bloomberg News reported.
With Congress and the White House deadlocked, visitors to landmarks run by the National Park Service will confront longer lines, dirtier bathrooms and closed visitor centers. Sequestration is causing federal facilities — particularly the parks — to delay maintenance, freeze hiring, trim operating hours and cancel programs for school groups.
“Visitors will see a reduction in services,” Dave Uberuaga, superintendent at Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona, said in a March 1 e-mail to holders of commercial use permits to operate in the park.
That means a two-hour reduction in summer hours at the park’s main visitor center, longer processing times for backcountry permits and extended lines to enter the park, which has an average 4.38 million visitors a year.
Grand Canyon’s restrooms and campgrounds will be cleaned less often, and repairs to damaged trails will take longer, Uberuaga said in a phone interview. Sequestration cut $1.1 million from $21 million in 2012 federal funding. The park has stopped hiring and eliminated staff travel and overtime, except for an emergency, he said.
Tours of the White House were canceled this month, though Obama last week said he is seeking a way to resume them for school groups.
Visitor centers at Acadia National Park in Maine and Cape Cod National Seashore in Massachusetts will delay opening or reduce operating hours. Acadia, which is losing $390,000 from its $7.8 million budget for the year ending Sept. 30, may not open its center until mid-May, a month later than usual, Len Bobinchock, deputy superintendent, said in a phone interview.
Cape Cod plans to reduce hours at the Province Lands visitor center and may close the facility, which hosts about 260,000 tourists a year, said Superintendent George Price. A National Park Service statement last year showed visitors to the seashore and surrounding areas spent more than $171 million in 2010, supporting about 2,000 jobs in Massachusetts.
“Our economic footprint here on Cape Cod is pretty significant,” Price said in a phone interview.
A hiring freeze at Padre Island National Seashore, which stretches for 70 miles along the Gulf of Mexico south of Corpus Christi, Texas, will trim the patrol force to nine officers from 11, Joe Escoto, park superintendent said in a phone interview.
Federal budget cuts also put animal life in jeopardy. The endangered Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle lives near Padre Island and park rangers usually find turtle eggs and transfer them to incubators to shield them from tides, predators and tourists driving on the beach. If sequestration persists, and leads to fewer beach patrols, it may hurt the turtle population, Escoto said.
At Biscayne National Park south of Miami, officials have canceled environmental-education camps through Sept. 30, upending the plans of about 50 students, said Assistant Superintendent Sula Jacobs.
“We’re undergoing our busiest season now,” Cheryl Chipman, a spokeswoman for Death Valley National Park in California, said in an interview. While visitors won’t see many immediate changes, Chipman said that may change if the spending reductions are sustained and vacant positions, including park electrician, aren’t filled in coming months, when Death Valley becomes one of the Earth’s hottest places.
“If we have problems with air conditioning and facilities at 120 degrees, that’s going to be a problem,” Chipman said.
Further north in California, at Yosemite National Park, officials are cutting a $28 million base budget by $1.4 million. Options include reducing or cutting ranger-led programs at sites including the Mariposa Grove of giant sequoias and Glacier Point, a popular lookout, according to Scott Gediman, a Yosemite spokesman.
“This is going to be phased in,” he said in a phone interview. “The park is going to remain open. We’re not looking at closing any facilities.”
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Old 03-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #39

Freightliner Owners Club
FAA announced they will close 149 airport control towers. Agree the whole response is a sham. The response is intented to have the most effect on the public's perception of the sequester cuts. They reflect an intentional mismanagement of the countries resources to score political points.
Place blame where you will, the cuts are from 2.5% to 5% and with any leadership or managements skills the effect should not even be noticeable....

According to the CBO, the sequester will actually only cut 44billion from the expenditures already planned for this fiscal year. (Oct 1st) which is basically half the advertised effect.
Congress would have to cut $399 billion from federal spending this year to bring spending back to the level it was at the start of 2009......
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #40

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
This whole sequester thing is a bunch of hooey. The small amount of money involved isn't enough to cause all the problems that we are seeing. It is all fabricated, it is nothing but a political stunt. 85 billion out of a 16+ trillion deficit is peanuts. Sorry for those affected but there is only one to blame.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong..no offense. I was in the middle of figuring how my agency would cut $500M out of the 2013 budget before I said screw it in Dec. Now I only majored in math in college, but the last time I checked 10% in real dollars half way through the expenditure year is not hooey. When I said enough, and I was senior enough to know what I'm talking about, furloughs (money out of government people's pockets), hiring freeze for at least two years (meaning 10-15% reduction of people through attrition) meaning do more with less because the work isn't going away, probably 250-350 contractors losing their jobs (how do you think they'll put food on the table..oh yeah, unemployment, of course thats a $800 month to replace $6-8000 a month.

Yeah its a bunch hooey....I suggest a little empathy rather than head in a hole.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
I'm sorry, but you are wrong..no offense. I was in the middle of figuring how my agency would cut $500M out of the 2013 budget before I said screw it in Dec. Now I only majored in math in college, but the last time I checked 10% in real dollars half way through the expenditure year is not hooey. When I said enough, and I was senior enough to know what I'm talking about, furloughs (money out of government people's pockets), hiring freeze for at least two years (meaning 10-15% reduction of people through attrition) meaning do more with less because the work isn't going away, probably 250-350 contractors losing their jobs (how do you think they'll put food on the table..oh yeah, unemployment, of course thats a $800 month to replace $6-8000 a month.

Yeah its a bunch hooey....I suggest a little empathy rather than head in a hole.
Oh...I forgot, that's 800 a month before taxes!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #42

Freightliner Owners Club
Dave:
I have all the empathy in the world for those being furloughed or denied service. I think it is by design - distressing...particularly for those directly affected.
But it is also infuriating to those of us that have to standby and watch this cluster grope take place. The effect for most of us will be inconvenience or a change of plans, a few more potholes or a few less campsites. But we realize there are some that will be seriously harmed and to my point of view, unnecessarily so.. and for the wrong reasons.
Closed Thread