Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Furlough 8-(

We are supposed to get our furlough notices next week. Most of the folks I work with aren't too worried, just sucks. I was planning on some house upgrades but it will be more yard work now than anything. Plus I can detail some more cars with my spare time. If you think about it, I can bother a lot of you good folks in here more. It just gets better and better.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
We are supposed to get our furlough notices next week. Most of the folks I work with aren't too worried, just sucks. I was planning on some house upgrades but it will be more yard work now than anything. Plus I can detail some more cars with my spare time. If you think about it, I can bother a lot of you good folks in here more. It just gets better and better.
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad I was able to retire from Columbus before all of this started. [moderator edit]

Old 03-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

I'm not going to cry over it. I started planning last year for this and am in good shape. I don't think it will run the entire 22 days (we get every Friday off) but I think the Hill wants to make a point. Like I said, more time to do other things. Won't affect me too much except for extra spending money.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

It's all around my wife is a teacher they got furlough days plus,% pay cuts what you going to do.Two jobs you though would be great teaching and the post office not any more.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
It's all around my wife is a teacher they got furlough days plus,% pay cuts what you going to do.Two jobs you though would be great teaching and the post office not any more.
I have great respect for those 2 professions. My father-in-law is a retired teacher (so is his future wife) and a few of my friends are letter carriers around the country. Honest work for what you would think would be honest pay. We leave the future of our youth in the hands of our school teachers so I would hope they would be taken care of but obviously with all the cuts I see floating around and listening to the FIL it's not that way.

By the way rooster, nice golf cart. I would love to play 18 with that.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
This could be managed much more effectively and not be done for the most dramatic effect if we really .....you know.
Sorry for those that are affected. It is not right
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm still not understanding all this Sequester stuff. I thought the reduction was only reducing some of what they wanted to increase spending this year? I think ONE is making it much worse on many to try and gain a positional advantage that appears to be not living up to the harsh expectations we were led to believe about the "sky is falling". I would have thought that going after waste fraud and abuse would have been the better direction than telling those who were doing their part that "we are going to make you suffer instead of those who are cheating the system".
Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Saw this coming last fall when we were not supposed to be planning for the sequester. No way it could be done without civilian pay cuts...that meant furloughs or RIFs. That combined with the congressmen not allowing certain weapons cuts meant O&M would take the hit for the services. Another hollow force like the 70s is coming.

I wasn't DOD, but I was senior in the budgetary process in another fed agency. I said screw it...I could screw with people that way in secret, then at the last moment tell 'em 10% pay cut, or reduced working schedule (same thing). And for the contract employees, it'll be worse and get worse.

I retired, bought an RV, and hit the road. My prayers are out there for the people that are stuck in the grind.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnkinthebus View Post
I'm still not understanding all this Sequester stuff. I thought the reduction was only reducing some of what they wanted to increase spending this year? I think ONE is making it much worse on many to try and gain a positional advantage that appears to be not living up to the harsh expectations we were led to believe about the "sky is falling". I would have thought that going after waste fraud and abuse would have been the better direction than telling those who were doing their part that "we are going to make you suffer instead of those who are cheating the system".
By the way, the sequester was interpreted in the DOD that every accounting line (that means projects, acquisition programs, personnel lines, O&M costs) takes a 10% cut...that's the stupidity of it.

And if you think it is a little, $500B for the DOD, $500B for the rest of non-entitlement government. Each year. That is a major hit that fraud, waste and abuse excesses won't cover for some agencies.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Or put another way, $1 Trillion is 16,666,000 making 60K a year suddenly loosing their jobs.

Those are big numbers.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #11

Hate that!

I haven't heard about local govt. in SC yet. We haven't been hit in fire or ems yet. It would be fitting, however, if one of our elected officials that was dumb enough to get a raise and Furlough life safety folks had a heart attack or stroke during a time that the units were at a lower level of readiness.

Love that SC living!!!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Saw this coming last fall when we were not supposed to be planning for the sequester. No way it could be done without civilian pay cuts...that meant furloughs or RIFs. That combined with the congressmen not allowing certain weapons cuts meant O&M would take the hit for the services. Another hollow force like the 70s is coming.

I wasn't DOD, but I was senior in the budgetary process in another fed agency. I said screw it...I could screw with people that way in secret, then at the last moment tell 'em 10% pay cut, or reduced working schedule (same thing). And for the contract employees, it'll be worse and get worse.

I retired, bought an RV, and hit the road. My prayers are out there for the people that are stuck in the grind.
We started planning last year (Air Force) even though there was talk at the time that it would get settled. Again good luck with that. The misses and I started last year by paying off some debt and stashing some cash for an emergency. We're in good shape, most of the peeps I work with are too. But I can see some of the lower employees struggling. It sucks all the way around. I work with a lot of contractors and right now they're getting paid at 100% because the contracts are already paid for. The ones that are on a rolling basis are in a different boat and in your language, "pot or color of money". Damn you acquisitions people. I won't go into the politics of the whole thing because of the ban hammer. It can be solved and it can be solved rather quickly if they wanted to but the "Grandstanding" is getting out of hand.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know it may be difficult to keep politics out of this thread but such discussions are not allowed here.
Quote:
.General discussions of politics, general government policies, weaponry, gun rights and religion are not allowed in ANY areas of iRV2. Discussions about current or pending legislation or regulations, weapons and religion that directly pertain to RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.
Thanks for understanding.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 03-15-2013, 05:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I know it may be difficult to keep politics out of this thread but such discussions are not allowed here.

Thanks for understanding.
Cliff
I understand Cliff. That's why I'm not bashing any of our elected leaders or throwing them under the bus. I was just curious how it was effecting some of our fine netizens on the board.

Closed Thread