Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

FYI: Disabilities come in many forms [And thanks for your kind help!]

My signature mentions my father being disabled so I have greatly appreciated those who have helpfully posted advice about my search for fifth-wheels for a permanent rural site in Texas.

However, I just want to remind everyone that not all disabilities involve wheelchairs. In his case, it is gradual blindness, chronic pain disorder, and other life-changing complications. He walks slowly but rarely uses a wheelchair.

So I simply wanted to remind everyone that "disabled" and "wheelchair-bound" are not synonyms. Someone can be fully mobile and yet be on medical disability and unable to continue their careers.

Thank you all again for your kind assistance and informative replies to our various questions on these forums.

Helping my disabled father and my care-giver sister in getting their fifth-wheels for a long-term, rural Texas site. I hope to do likewise within a year or two so...just trying to learn all that I can. Any & all advice is appreciated!
NathanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
As some one who has an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis and received a batchlor of social work degree after I retired I will absolutely agree that not all disabilities are visible or apparent. Because you have a 'disability' does not mean that you can not contribute or be productive, or even have a gift. One of the aspects of aspergers in me is a hunger to know.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
As some one who has an autism spectrum disorder diagnosis and received a batchlor of social work degree after I retired I will absolutely agree that not all disabilities are visible or apparent. Because you have a 'disability' does not mean that you can not contribute or be productive, or even have a gift. One of the aspects of aspergers in me is a hunger to know.
True indeed! A friend of mine who was diagnosed Aspergers is quite a mathematical genius. And Dr. Hugh Ross earned a Ph.D. in astrophysics (or perhaps it was astronomy) long before he realized that he is Aspergers.

Yes, we all come with a mixture of complex characteristics.

I supposed it is natural that people would tend to associate "disabled" with mobility problems.
Helping my disabled father and my care-giver sister in getting their fifth-wheels for a long-term, rural Texas site. I hope to do likewise within a year or two so...just trying to learn all that I can. Any & all advice is appreciated!
NathanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, I look OK until you see the small oxygen tank on my back in a back pack with the nasal canula stuck in my nose.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disabled rvers, handicapped