Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
FYI, New Shingles Vaccine

a note to say the latest costco connection mentions that costco will be carrying shingrix and to check with your store pharmacy for availability.

i’m a VA patient and the VA doesn’t carry this latest version, shingrix, so this may be a good alternative for other VA patients.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

Anyone know if you need this new shingles vaccine if you've already had the old one?
Old 12-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
good to known thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
tcg

I just wanted to say, my neighbor who is in her mid 60s was just diagnosed with shingles. Her case did not have the rash so it took a few days in the hospital to diagnose.

It's awful.

Get the vaccine.

I just tried convincing my 82 year old dad to get the vaccine. He doesn't seem interested. Same thing with the flu vaccine and pneumonia vaccine.

I was as forceful as I could be with him but he'll have no part of it.

Not sure why older people can't grasp the fact that they are at risk and a bad illness might be avoided with some simple shots.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #5

My 83 year old mother had shingles last year and she had taken the vaccine. Her doctor said it was the worst case he'd ever seen. Lasted about 6 mos. She's a tough old gal, but it beat her down big time. I think it has taken at least 5 years off her life. Shingles can be some bad s***!
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chindog View Post
Anyone know if you need this new shingles vaccine if you've already had the old one?

i am not a dr or a medical professional but i have read the cdc report and the recommendations re the new vaccine. because it’s a **different** - and MUCH more effective vaccine - those who have had the original vaccine are recommended to get the new shingrix vaccine.

i had the original vaccine and came down with shingles two years later.

WORST.THING.EVER as there is no escape from the searing and unrelenting pain.

i’m getting the new vaccine as soon as i can.

here’s a link to an online article on the topic:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ine/index.html
Old 12-11-2017, 11:08 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
good to known thanks
you’re quite welcome.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #8

I've had shingles, got over it, but, to me, what came along next was even worse....Bell's Palsy.....long lasting effects...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:18 PM   #9

I am 46 and healthy. I had shingles this year. I am glad I had them at this age vs older and say get the vaccination as soon as you can. I was told you can have them twice so I may get a vaccination in the near future just to be safe.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:23 PM   #10

Correct
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, by all means get the new vaccine. Both my wife & I had the old shot 6 years ago. She got shingles in May this year. our Dr. Says the old vaccine was approx. 60% effective. The vaccine is plus 80% effective. Also the effectively of the new shot should be much longer. if nothing else just consider it a booster. Shingles ain't pretty, it is dreadfully painful. And it does not just go away, it takes months. check with your health insurance company also to see if they pay for the shot. We're told it will be expensive & available in January 2018.
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:44 PM   #12

I was told by my family doctor to definitely get the new shingles vaccination even though I have received the older vaccine. Should be available early 2018, it’s a series of two shots, Medicare will not cover the new vaccine initially. Estimated cost is expected to be around $300 versus $217 for the older version.
Bud03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radacravitz View Post
a note to say the latest costco connection mentions that costco will be carrying shingrix and to check with your store pharmacy for availability.

i’m a VA patient and the VA doesn’t carry this latest version, shingrix, so this may be a good alternative for other VA patients.
This Washington Post article, and FAQ section, answers a lot of questions I had, including this: "However, about 80 percent of individuals had some type of vaccine reaction, compared to 30 percent of people who got a placebo."
Thak you for posting about this new vaccine. I've had chicken pox and shingles(herpes virus)once each. Since the virus never goes away, I'm all in for being vaccinated now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 30 years ago I got Guillian-Barré syndrome. After that every doctor I told that I had gotten Guillian-Barré syndrome immediatly asked me the same question:
"Did you get the Swine flu shot?"

No, I hadn't but I will not take any flu or virus shots at all ever again.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote