Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #15

It is only a matter of time before the violence ends up in the beach areas where peeps have timeshares and they think they are safe. I would not go there if you paid me.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
People on other threads have said that the drug violence is limited to the border areas. The above story seems to refute that. Some can be brave or stupid and travel to Mexico but I won't be one of them. This open warfare on the city streets is much different and more frequent than the crime that happens in our big cities.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:00 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well!!!!! For what it's worth. At least the President of Mexico is trying to get rid of the drug cartel. That's more than the previous Presidents have done. And if and when he accomplishes this task, think how much better the USA will be without all of the drugs commning into USA. As a rule if all is quiet, the goverment & police aren't doing their job right. On the other hand If you hear of a lot of goverment & police activity, usually means they are doing their job.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:48 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythplaced View Post
No city......I'm a COUNTRY BOY!

Grew up on a farm in central Illinois

Lived on a ranch in north Texas..

Now I live in No Colorado
Next time you're coming to Philly give me a shout I'd be glad to provide protection in the Big city
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Police driving stolen cars from the USA

I recall that John Stossel did a TV piece regarding Mexican Police. They went onto the parking lot of a Police Station while filming. They recorded the Vin number which can be read through the window. It turned out that several cars had been reported stolen by Americans and were being used by the police. That was only part of the story showing corruption in government. I don't recall the rest clearly enough to post.

I just do not trust the police or government in Mexico. Joe
Old 02-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
My view is more sadness when I see this. I used to do alot of business in Mexico years ago -> Guadalajara and Monterrey were two spots I frequented every quarter. Lovely cites with wonderful people. I fear for all my old friends down there and feel sadness for the locals that have worked hard to build up legitimate businesses only to have their lives and livelihoods put to risk by needless violence. It's a very, very sad situation. Nina
Old 02-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
When a criminal enterprize has more money than the government,

Corruption is INEVITABLE

Here is the scenario..

Cop/government official....Is offered 10 times his annual salary PER MONTH to "look the other way"..

Ask yourself this question....How can they turn it down?

3rd world/ Emerging economies government corruption is inevitable...Its in human nature to better oneself

That doesn't make it right, but "Thems the Facts, Folks"!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #22

Before I retired I used to think about and plan on a trip down the Baja to Cabo. Now I wouldn't go if someone else paid for my fuel. If someone else wants to go, go ahead, they can take my turn. If I live long enough for the Mexicans to clean up the violence then I may reconsider the trip. In the mean time the is much to see and do here. Heck, I new people that said Viet Nam wasn't all that bad back in the late 60's but I found that first hand to be incorrect.
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #23

I just saw on the news tonight about the whole police department (35 officers) quit yesterday when the police chief's and an officer's heads were found in a thermos cooler. The drug gangs own the boarder towns.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 PM   #24

18 killed cartel-plagued northern Mexican town - World news - Americas - msnbc.com

This reported 14 Feb 11 around 2000hrs. Anyone still interested in just passing thru northern Mexican territories? Lots of things to do, like dodging bullets,dancing with rhythms of burp guns, viewing sites thru your busted and shot up windows.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I frankly think that with the situations in Mexico with the corruption and the uncontrolled gang wars that no RV group should endorse or encourage travel to Mexico to limit their liability.
Last week, while perusing websites of RV tour operators I noticed several have canceled Mexico trips until further notice
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 05:04 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Last week, while perusing websites of RV tour operators I noticed several have canceled Mexico trips until further notice
Looks like I'm not the first to be pondering the logic .
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 PM   #27

4 thrown to deaths from bridge in southern Mexico - World news - Americas - msnbc.com\

Almost daily these reports are coming in.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #28

http://http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41813169/ns/world_news-americas/

It just keeps going on.