Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #1
Garmins and campgrounds

Can anyone tell me which Garmin GPS has a campground locator? I wish they has one that said which Wal-marts were over night friendly too. I'm sure that's too much to hope for.

Teena Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
wally docking

welcome to irv2
allstays.com IMHO has the best and most up to date info about overnight parking at Wally Worlds.
some gps's limit the number favorites that you can save in memory. our 7 year old garmin is OK in that regard.
we had a TomTom that was terrible.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Outdoors RV Owners Club
You might try doing a search here on the forums. I've seen them discussed before. We don't have one yet so can't help you there but I did write down a website that was discussed in another place - POIFactory.com

I haven't tried to use it yet but did take a stroll thru the site. They have lots of gpx files you can download to a gps'r. We have owned several garmin units and currently use a handheld oregon 650 that we use for geocaching and have a nuvi in our car.
Deb & Dale--RVM107--2015 Blackstone 280 RKSB

Happiness isn't the destination but the journey along the way!
geocacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Our Garmin POI took us to 2 campgrounds that did not exist nor were they ever located where it said they were.

Best to check the address and the coordinates of any campground you are interested in.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #5
Originally Posted by Teena Marie View Post
Can anyone tell me which Garmin GPS has a campground locator? I wish they has one that said which Wal-marts were over night friendly too. I'm sure that's too much to hope for.
I don't have one so I can't vouch it, but I think the Garmin RV760 should be the one with campgrounds in the database. It has clearance and route info similar to the Dezl, but adds campground info.

2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
The phone app ALLSTAYS is great at locating Walmarts while you are enroute or planning. The Good Sam computer app is free if you are a member and locates member and non-member parks pretty reliably. And finally the KOA website is also available for your phone but only good for KOA's. hope this helps, mark PS I love the Garmin 760 because of size and it is aware of your rigs limitations, but I don't use it to locate parks.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
The Garmin RV760 has a RV Park feature. You simply press a button on the main "find" screen and it provides a listing of the RV Parks near your location. You can also enter a city name to find RV Parks in a different area.

For Walmarts I find Overnight RV Parking to be the best. It is an online subscription service ($24.95 per year) but it provides more information about free parking locations than any other I have tried. AllStays is the best of the free services.
Retired and livin' the RV dream!
2005 Newmar 43 ft. MADP, Cummins ISL 400HP, 2008 Honda CR-V toad
Ron_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #8
We bought our Garmin RV 760LMT online and it's been great to use. It has a campground database but also allows you to enter the height, length and width of your coach and adjusts your route to avoid road conditions that would physically impact your coach. It also has a seven inch screen which is nice. The 760 comes in a couple of flavors for automobile, RV, truck, etc.
JEdgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
Tiffin Owners Club
I agree the Garmin RV 760 works great for finding campgrounds. When you choose campgrounds you can get near your location or pick a city on your route or pick a near your destination.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
I have the Garmin Dezl 760. The campground POI's are a little difficult for me to get to so I downloaded a campground POI from POI Factory. The current version has over 20,000 listings and is updated/corrected frequently. I've also downloaded the Walmart/Sams POI file as it is frequently updated.

I'll second Allstays for Walmarts on a cell phone. You cn set up a filter that will show only those Walmarts that may allow parking. Has the phone number so you can easily call to make sure ONP is allowed.

Pete - Full Timing
2000 Country Coach Magna 40', CAT C10, #5892
2006 Jeep Liberty
phays is online now   Reply With Quote