Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #1

Here is the ? I own a 37ft. Sea Breeze with the 8.1 v8 when I retire should we upgrade to a Diesel or stay with a gas MH and why. We plan to full time in a Motor Home

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #2

Here is the ? I own a 37ft. Sea Breeze with the 8.1 v8 when I retire should we upgrade to a Diesel or stay with a gas MH and why. We plan to full time in a Motor Home

Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi kenscomet,
Consider not asking yourself which fuel should power your coach. Focus on the coach. The floorplan, features and creature comforts, towing capacity, net carrying capacity, how you will use the coach (touring or long stays in one place), etc.

What type of stops do you plan? Will it be mostly NPS, NFS and State Parks? How about boondocking? Maybe full service resorts?

How will you tow a vehicle? Will it be four down, dolly, enclosed trailer? What else will you tow/carry? Maybe a motorcycle or golf cart. What are your hobbies and how will you continue them when full timing? What is needed to continue your hobbies?

Make a list of the topics that are important to you. This will narrow the selection of coaches to those that meet your lifestyle choices. Share this information with the sales person at each dealership you visit. Have him/her show you only coaches that meet your life style choices.

It is the coach and how it fits you that will make your full timing experience memorable.

The gas or diesel decision will be made for you, based on the coach that fits your needs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:21 AM   #4

I think the answer is simple. If you drive a lot of miles and like lots of amminities and room then diesel is the only answer if that is in your budget. Diesels drive so much nicer and can carry so much more. If you only put 7,000 miles year on your coach and you are satisfied with vinyl floors then you are spending a lot of money on diesel is more about ego than function in my opinion anyway.

Michael
2005 Dutch Star 40' 4 slide
2005 BMW K1200LT motorcycle on lift
2006 Ford Escape Hybrid

That's my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:48 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I agree with Gary. I am not a fulltimer but I would thing you will be caring more weight than a weekender/vacationer. Floorplan and capacities will play an important part of your decision.

Buy the best Motorhome you can life with and afford.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #6

Gary has raised a lot of interesting points and here are some other thoughts to consider in the age old question of diesel vs. gas. We am not fulltimers; but run about 18-20,000 miles per year- this is what happens when you have kids in Boston and Phoenix.

We have diesel and like the rideability, i.e. air ride suspension, 22.5" tires, air brakes, 6 speed Allison, lots of tow capacity with 10,000# hitch, etc. Travelling around the country when we have needed repair/maintenance we have relied very heavily on Cummins and have found them to be very professional. Yes, there are some good gas service facilities across the country; however, for overall reliability and dependability I think it is hard to beat Cummins and they are well spread out across the country.

I fully realize that we have paid more for our diesel coach than we would have for a comparable gas unit; however, I would expect to recover some of that differential when the time comes to hang up the keys.

Personally, I would rather have a "slightly" used diesel coach than a brand new gas coach relative to the comfort features mentioned above. Good luck however YOU elect to proceed, Ken,'04 DSDP...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #7

Location: GUATEMALA Central America, NOT nebraska,dakotas or kansas
maybe all will say "ho gosh, what a cheappie" but my reason are this, I bought a southwind 88junkie from copart for 2K bucks 88K mi, (fairly good taken care) I still does not have it, is a p30chev 454, in the interest that my hobby is (better yet, my therapy!) mechanics, wrenching. Ive decided because of our gas prices $3.61 gal and diesel $2.59 gal to change the engine (future mod) to a DT366 international school bus engine + auto tranny, or a 6.5 td chevy (ughh the tranny) or a 6 cyl cummins ram engine w/tranny) (all of them mechanical diesels, turbos I live on 5000' and plan to go higer)
ILL DO LESS THAT 5K MI/year and Tdiesels will perform much better @ this height, plus the better mileage costs will be better, I do not need to qualify for INDY or PIKES PEAK (I already have a toy to do that! ;-) )also I will only need to "carry" A MOTORCYCLE
the only thing is I will keep the gas genset, I cant imagine a diesel bumbumbumbum racket in my ear!
I know cost Vs benefit, to that equation add SATISFACTION!!!!
I hope my dum coment might bring coments!

GREETINGS FROM WARMTH GUATEMALA! (Well maybe not at the moment, :-[ rainy season has begun!)
Old 06-01-2007, 05:41 PM   #8

Location: GUATEMALA Central America, NOT nebraska,dakotas or kansas
what abouth propane gas for "gas" esgines (older I mean)