Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #127

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek
In the good old days when gas was .28 a gallon, Dad bought a new 55 ford victoria and a 15 ft starfire camp trailer. A v-8 ford got about 12 mpg and would last 80,000 miles and 5 years max. We paid no cable or cell phone bill. As a family of 7 we all lived in a 900 sq ft house, one bath ( 4 girls). As a teenager I moved into the starfire in the backyard. Dad would move the starfire to a cattle ranch in the summer where I worked for .50 an hour 60 hrs a week to buy school clothes. We camped a lot. Mostly far from other people. You older folks wondering how your kids will manage, take a look at how most of them live. What they spend, and how they live compared to the good old days. Fuel is the least of their problems.
I could not agree more!!!!! My 41 year old son is finally starting to understand this.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #128

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
So, what can be done about the export problem?
What export problem?
In business terms high export numbers are a good thing. It creates huge profits and expansion.

Should we ask our government to regulate fuel prices?
Well, we already subsidize the oil industry and according to Wikipedia Energy subsidies are measures that keep prices for consumers below market levels.
Hummm, maybe this is not working so well. Perhaps the recent call to end subsidies is a bluff to get big oil to lower prices.

Should the government run our oil industry as China and some other countries have done?
This is the USA. We were founded on the free enterprise system. We might as well just tear up our Constitution if we go this route.

The only thing that has been proven to drive down prices in the free enterprise system is competition.
Big oil has no competition and has done everything within it's power to keep us hooked on it's cheap energy costs. They slowly raise prices until people start to squirm, then they lower them just a bit. Eventually the world market oil prices will equalize and it will not be cheap here anymore.

The answer,
support alternative energy research and production.
We need to create competition to keep oil prices in check.

For now buying alternative powered vehicles is a start. Hybrid's, ELV's, natural gas and propane vehicles is a start. This will spur auto makers to invest in our future.

IMO there will be no short term answer to rising energy costs. We will all bite the bullet when we go to the pumps

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #129

This is my opinion on rising fuel prices. The oil industry has to make up for the lost revenue that is being created from the switch to alternative fuels. Let's face it, these oil executives must find a way to make huge profits so that they can maintain the lifestyle that they are accustomed to. No one wants to take a pay cut so pass it on to the consumer. The one thing that they don't take into account is that higher gas prices will not increase revenues because consumers will drive less, therefore buying less gas.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #130

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have those good old days when gas was $.19 per gal and gas wars would take it to $.15 per gal,used to get a $1.00 worth and make it to school all week.I guess only the (old timers) remember that.
And make $50 a week working hard?While it might be a bigger stretch on the family budget than it use to, its not really all that bad concidering inflation. What we really need is more jobs so more people spend and prices come down... And calm in the Middle East, but I aint holding my breath..
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #131

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
What export problem?
In business terms high export numbers are a good thing. It creates huge profits and expansion.

Should we ask our government to regulate fuel prices?
Well, we already subsidize the oil industry and according to Wikipedia Energy subsidies are measures that keep prices for consumers below market levels.
Hummm, maybe this is not working so well. Perhaps the recent call to end subsidies is a bluff to get big oil to lower prices.

Should the government run our oil industry as China and some other countries have done?
This is the USA. We were founded on the free enterprise system. We might as well just tear up our Constitution if we go this route.

The only thing that has been proven to drive down prices in the free enterprise system is competition.
Big oil has no competition and has done everything within it's power to keep us hooked on it's cheap energy costs. They slowly raise prices until people start to squirm, then they lower them just a bit. Eventually the world market oil prices will equalize and it will not be cheap here anymore.

The answer,
support alternative energy research and production.
We need to create competition to keep oil prices in check.

For now buying alternative powered vehicles is a start. Hybrid's, ELV's, natural gas and propane vehicles is a start. This will spur auto makers to invest in our future.

IMO there will be no short term answer to rising energy costs. We will all bite the bullet when we go to the pumps
Here ^^^^, gentlemen (and ladies, where applicable ), is the unvarnished truth. What I've been trying to say all along. Thank you, Wannabe.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #132

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
This is my opinion on rising fuel prices. The oil industry has to make up for the lost revenue that is being created from the switch to alternative fuels. Let's face it, these oil executives must find a way to make huge profits so that they can maintain the lifestyle that they are accustomed to. No one wants to take a pay cut so pass it on to the consumer. The one thing that they don't take into account is that higher gas prices will not increase revenues because consumers will drive less, therefore buying less gas.
Oil useage has gone up, not down... In fact, this is one of the main driving force (besides the Middle East troubles) of higher prices... Alternative energy is not even in sight...
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #133

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Remember when gas was cheap and even new families and middle class people could afford to RV? I wonder if that will ever occur again.
Yes and Doubt it
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Oil useage has gone up, not down... In fact, this is one of the main driving force (besides the Middle East troubles) of higher prices... Alternative energy is not even in sight...
Actually, we're using less oil than we did 10 years ago, if I recall the statistics I've hear recently.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #135

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Actually, we're using less oil than we did 10 years ago, if I recall the statistics I've hear recently.
Not according to eia.gov

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #136

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Not according to eia.gov
Yes.. Gas/Fuel usage in the US has gone down a tad since 2008, due to the economy mostly, over all world wide usage is still on the rise...
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #137

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Yes.. Gas/Fuel usage in the US has gone down a tad since 2008, due to the economy mostly, over all world wide usage is still on the rise...
Report is for USA only.
8.3 million barrels per day in 2000, peaked at 9 million bpd in 2006-2007,
latest report in 2010 was 8.8 million bpd.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #138

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I think the "alternative energy" mantra is all starry-eyed mumbo-jumbo. I really don't see electric vehicles ever becoming a truly viable option other than for short commutes. Take away the government subsidies and you have an expensive high maintenance toy. Has anyone ever checked to see what replacement batteries cost in these electrics? I'll bet it's not cheap.
Solar is basically useless in a large part of the country, wind turbines may be viable but at 2 Million a pop that's a long pay back, especially if you remove any subsidies.
I think we should be leveraging our abundance of natural gas and developing the infrastructure to support that for the population. Maybe hydrogen power should be further explored.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas