Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #127
Senior Member
 
Davdeb1's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Avon Lake, Oh
Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek
In the good old days when gas was .28 a gallon, Dad bought a new 55 ford victoria and a 15 ft starfire camp trailer. A v-8 ford got about 12 mpg and would last 80,000 miles and 5 years max. We paid no cable or cell phone bill. As a family of 7 we all lived in a 900 sq ft house, one bath ( 4 girls). As a teenager I moved into the starfire in the backyard. Dad would move the starfire to a cattle ranch in the summer where I worked for .50 an hour 60 hrs a week to buy school clothes. We camped a lot. Mostly far from other people. You older folks wondering how your kids will manage, take a look at how most of them live. What they spend, and how they live compared to the good old days. Fuel is the least of their problems.
I could not agree more!!!!! My 41 year old son is finally starting to understand this.
__________________

__________________
2000 HOLIDAY RAMBLER ENDEAVOR
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #128
Senior Member
 
Wanabee FTer's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Golden Village Palms, CA
Posts: 1,988
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
So, what can be done about the export problem?
What export problem?
In business terms high export numbers are a good thing. It creates huge profits and expansion.

Should we ask our government to regulate fuel prices?
Well, we already subsidize the oil industry and according to Wikipedia Energy subsidies are measures that keep prices for consumers below market levels.
Hummm, maybe this is not working so well. Perhaps the recent call to end subsidies is a bluff to get big oil to lower prices.

Should the government run our oil industry as China and some other countries have done?
This is the USA. We were founded on the free enterprise system. We might as well just tear up our Constitution if we go this route.

The only thing that has been proven to drive down prices in the free enterprise system is competition.
Big oil has no competition and has done everything within it's power to keep us hooked on it's cheap energy costs. They slowly raise prices until people start to squirm, then they lower them just a bit. Eventually the world market oil prices will equalize and it will not be cheap here anymore.

The answer,
support alternative energy research and production.
We need to create competition to keep oil prices in check.

For now buying alternative powered vehicles is a start. Hybrid's, ELV's, natural gas and propane vehicles is a start. This will spur auto makers to invest in our future.

IMO there will be no short term answer to rising energy costs. We will all bite the bullet when we go to the pumps
__________________

__________________
John
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #129
Senior Member
 
Patrol 65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 314
This is my opinion on rising fuel prices. The oil industry has to make up for the lost revenue that is being created from the switch to alternative fuels. Let's face it, these oil executives must find a way to make huge profits so that they can maintain the lifestyle that they are accustomed to. No one wants to take a pay cut so pass it on to the consumer. The one thing that they don't take into account is that higher gas prices will not increase revenues because consumers will drive less, therefore buying less gas.
__________________
Nathan and Linda, 2000 Winnebago Chieftain 35U, F53 Chassis, Banks Power Pack
Patrol 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #130
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
Wouldn't it be nice to have those good old days when gas was $.19 per gal and gas wars would take it to $.15 per gal,used to get a $1.00 worth and make it to school all week.I guess only the (old timers) remember that.
And make $50 a week working hard?While it might be a bigger stretch on the family budget than it use to, its not really all that bad concidering inflation. What we really need is more jobs so more people spend and prices come down... And calm in the Middle East, but I aint holding my breath..
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #131
Senior Member
 
Ramblin's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
What export problem?
In business terms high export numbers are a good thing. It creates huge profits and expansion.

Should we ask our government to regulate fuel prices?
Well, we already subsidize the oil industry and according to Wikipedia Energy subsidies are measures that keep prices for consumers below market levels.
Hummm, maybe this is not working so well. Perhaps the recent call to end subsidies is a bluff to get big oil to lower prices.

Should the government run our oil industry as China and some other countries have done?
This is the USA. We were founded on the free enterprise system. We might as well just tear up our Constitution if we go this route.

The only thing that has been proven to drive down prices in the free enterprise system is competition.
Big oil has no competition and has done everything within it's power to keep us hooked on it's cheap energy costs. They slowly raise prices until people start to squirm, then they lower them just a bit. Eventually the world market oil prices will equalize and it will not be cheap here anymore.

The answer,
support alternative energy research and production.
We need to create competition to keep oil prices in check.

For now buying alternative powered vehicles is a start. Hybrid's, ELV's, natural gas and propane vehicles is a start. This will spur auto makers to invest in our future.

IMO there will be no short term answer to rising energy costs. We will all bite the bullet when we go to the pumps
Here ^^^^, gentlemen (and ladies, where applicable ), is the unvarnished truth. What I've been trying to say all along. Thank you, Wannabe.
__________________
2002 National Dolphin LX 6356
Workhorse W-22 chassis
Don't believe everything you think.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #132
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol 65 View Post
This is my opinion on rising fuel prices. The oil industry has to make up for the lost revenue that is being created from the switch to alternative fuels. Let's face it, these oil executives must find a way to make huge profits so that they can maintain the lifestyle that they are accustomed to. No one wants to take a pay cut so pass it on to the consumer. The one thing that they don't take into account is that higher gas prices will not increase revenues because consumers will drive less, therefore buying less gas.
Oil useage has gone up, not down... In fact, this is one of the main driving force (besides the Middle East troubles) of higher prices... Alternative energy is not even in sight...
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #133
Senior Member
 
DutchStar38's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sarasota,FL
Posts: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Remember when gas was cheap and even new families and middle class people could afford to RV? I wonder if that will ever occur again.
Yes and Doubt it
__________________
Lynda & Ronny Sarasota, Florida
2005 DutchStar DP 3809
Sammy (Brussels Griffon\Maltese)
TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #134
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Oil useage has gone up, not down... In fact, this is one of the main driving force (besides the Middle East troubles) of higher prices... Alternative energy is not even in sight...
Actually, we're using less oil than we did 10 years ago, if I recall the statistics I've hear recently.
__________________
Trucking to support the cats.
mrblanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #135
Senior Member
 
Wanabee FTer's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Golden Village Palms, CA
Posts: 1,988
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Actually, we're using less oil than we did 10 years ago, if I recall the statistics I've hear recently.
Not according to eia.gov
__________________
John
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #136
Registered User
 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Actually, we're using less oil than we did 10 years ago, if I recall the statistics I've hear recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Not according to eia.gov
Yes.. Gas/Fuel usage in the US has gone down a tad since 2008, due to the economy mostly, over all world wide usage is still on the rise...
__________________
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #137
Senior Member
 
Wanabee FTer's Avatar
 
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Golden Village Palms, CA
Posts: 1,988
Blog Entries: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Yes.. Gas/Fuel usage in the US has gone down a tad since 2008, due to the economy mostly, over all world wide usage is still on the rise...
Report is for USA only.
8.3 million barrels per day in 2000, peaked at 9 million bpd in 2006-2007,
latest report in 2010 was 8.8 million bpd.
__________________
John
'98 Gulf Stream Sunsport 325, 7.5L Banks Power Pack, Koni FSD's, Air Bags, ReadyBrute Elite,
2000 Honda Accord

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #138
Senior Member
 
baraff's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,417
Personally, I think the "alternative energy" mantra is all starry-eyed mumbo-jumbo. I really don't see electric vehicles ever becoming a truly viable option other than for short commutes. Take away the government subsidies and you have an expensive high maintenance toy. Has anyone ever checked to see what replacement batteries cost in these electrics? I'll bet it's not cheap.
Solar is basically useless in a large part of the country, wind turbines may be viable but at 2 Million a pop that's a long pay back, especially if you remove any subsidies.
I think we should be leveraging our abundance of natural gas and developing the infrastructure to support that for the population. Maybe hydrogen power should be further explored.
__________________

__________________
Burns & Diane
2005 Winnebago Aspect 26A/2012 Subaru Impreza toad
Illinois! - Where the politicians make the license plates......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black water tank stuckup with to much granddaughters toilet tissue boltdave Class A Motorhome Discussions 75 03-03-2012 02:17 PM
New to us... WERV23 New Rig Show-Off! 15 02-25-2012 09:38 PM
New to iRV2 & New to us 35J Iangolf New Member Check-In 12 02-24-2012 10:04 AM
Looking forward to when... Dipper New Member Check-In 12 02-23-2012 10:40 PM
New to me RV htwjr New Member Check-In 10 02-23-2012 08:31 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.