Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Tom Gets It

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
In the early 70's I lived next door to a Hess Gas station. I could fill my VW Bug for $2.00 or less, get a Pepsi for a dime, carton of Marlboro's (don't use em anymore) for another $2.00. Had to work about 4 hours to afford them.
I'm an airline pilot, not an economist; but, Tom gets it.

The true cost is how much you've had to labor to buy the product.

That's why the cost of gas hasn't really changed too much, since the invention of the car

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sold my boat 1 1/2 years ago. It had dual Crusader 454CID. Those puppies were very thirsty too. It is nice to drop down to only a 100 gal tank. Not saying the prices are alright but just saying I am not donating as much money to foreign aid as I did before.

TJ (Teacup Poodle 2.7 lbs)
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by greezykid View Post
I've got one that only gets 1/2 mile per gallon and holds 150 gal,it's been parked fot the last year and is now is a very expensive motel.Almost makes me feel good about my 7gph dp.
Exactly! My TV gets around 11 MPG towing so it's way cheaper to go camping. Unfortunately I would rather go fishing.

Also, I think in the relative short term with regards to what fuel is costing me. Sometime around 2005 when I really started to get into bigger boats, gas was running around $2.50 a gallon so it has almost doubled and unfortunately my income has not, so the boat sits more and more and I find myself looking to downsize boat wise so I can keep fishing without breaking the bank.
FishaPalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishaPalooza View Post
Exactly! My TV gets around 11 MPG towing so it's way cheaper to go camping. Unfortunately I would rather go fishing.

Also, I think in the relative short term with regards to what fuel is costing me. Sometime around 2005 when I really started to get into bigger boats, gas was running around $2.50 a gallon so it has almost doubled and unfortunately my income has not, so the boat sits more and more and I find myself looking to downsize boat wise so I can keep fishing without breaking the bank.
I like fishing too so to got a new project. Its a 1965 18' Glastron speedboat. It is totally sea worthy with no cracks or leaks but the engine (Mercury 900) doesn't run and the controls are old and spent. It's all fiberglass but it needs a little TLC. I only spent $200 for everything including 2 gas tanks, a side ladder, an anchor, and the trailer which is in good shape. If I can get the engine going it would be huge but I have my doubts because it seems frozen but I haven't taken it apart yet. It was taken into salt water and not washed off. I'm looking for a manual for the outboard engine for the Mercury 900 (unknown year). I know boats can become money pits but I would love to get this baby back out on the lake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2182.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	18187  
Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great illustration of the effects of inflation on our economy.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
I'm an airline pilot, not an economist; but, Tom gets it.

That's why the cost of gas hasn't really changed too much, since the invention of the car
I used to be able to buy 5 gallons of gas for 1 hr of work when I was in high school, now I can buy 2.4 gallons for one hours work. That's "progress"?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #21

Long long ago, when i was in high school, i worked at a Mobil station. back when there was no self service. gas was 19.9cts, except when it was 15.9cts. cheap oil was 25 cts /qt.
i made $1.00/hr.
i wonder what a gas price vs inflation vs average wage chart looks like.

on another note, part of the gas price increase is due to the requirement on the refineries to make different blends, ie, winter/summer /california/mid west/new england/etc.
there was an "expert" on CNBC that said the requirement for blends adds a $1 / gallon to the retail price.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 1971 I could fill up my '66 Plymouth and it would cost $5.25. Last me all week. Gas was something like $.29/gallon. I remember being EXTREMELY p'o' d when gas hit $.32/gall at the local Gas City. If I knew then what I know now.......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
Long long ago, when i was in high school, i worked at a Mobil station. back when there was no self service. gas was 19.9cts, except when it was 15.9cts. cheap oil was 25 cts /qt.
That included full service (windows washed, oil checked, water, air, etc) and you got glasses, plates, silverware, etc. But that's not all ... you also got blue chip stamps or green stamps that you could redeem for all sorts of items
Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #24

Quote:
Agreed - and THAT'S exactly the problem - wages have NOT kept pace with the cost of energy and ALL related items - and THAT'S just about EVERYTHING! :(

And THAT only covers those who ARE still working - what about that 16% unemployed who have lost their jobs?
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #25

iRV2 No Limits Club
I anticipated this which is the reason we bought a teardrop trailer, it costs a couple of MPG over the cost of driving our Subaru. And yes much of the problem now is speculators, Occupy Wall Street
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
I anticipated this which is the reason we bought a teardrop trailer, it costs a couple of MPG over the cost of driving our Subaru. And yes much of the problem now is speculators, Occupy Wall Street
YUP - and why I have the '02 Dodge/Cummins - 27 MPG empty, 17 MPG towing the 5er - then, the '88 Winnie MH - lousy 8 MPG - but paid so little for it, that the $$$ savings on the purchase price offsets the MPG - Pity the poor folks buying a new 200K rig, and THEN paying today's price for fuel!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we bought our MH in 2010 we figured it cost $1 per mile for fuel and we allocated 20,000 miles in our use plan. Stressing about the cost of a great pastime/lifestyle is not useful and for now we can go more than 20 k miles at the current cost of fuel. Let's motor around America and enjoy the journey.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Here's a fun site --
The Inflation Calculator

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA

Tags
gas