Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601
When we bought our MH in 2010 we figured it cost $1 per mile for fuel and we allocated 20,000 miles in our use plan. Stressing about the cost of a great pastime/lifestyle is not useful and for now we can go more than 20 k miles at the current cost of fuel. Let's motor around America and enjoy the journey.
I could not agree more. We all should be so thankful that we can have a MH and all the freedoms that go along with it. Just the idea about being out on the road, free, place to park that are free. There are so many things out on the road that are free, and we are just so lucky.

Just something to think about. Why be bitter and complain when things are so good?

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I could not agree more. We all should be so thankful that we can have a MH and all the freedoms that go along with it. Just the idea about being out on the road, free, place to park that are free. There are so many things out on the road that are free, and we are just so lucky.

Just something to think about. Why be bitter and complain when things are so good?
I'm happy to hear things are going so well of you. My point is that many people are getting priced out of RVing over high gas prices. Not everyone can spend $1/mile and still afford to actually do anything else. There was a time when working families with children could still afford to go camping with a trailer or even a motorhome. Now however, high gas prices are pushing them out. I don't mean to this to sound bitter, it's just a shame, that's all.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Being over 80% of your oil for this gasoline comes out of Canada, why are we letting the oil speculators screw us so badly with this commodity futures crap. Most of the Wall Street traders travel public transit so we pay them to work and then subsidize the baskets as they travel home.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #32

I agree. Speculators should be eliminated from the floor of the stock market, just like feral hogs, dogs, etc are eliminated.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Progress? Only if you believe facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I used to be able to buy 5 gallons of gas for 1 hr of work when I was in high school, now I can buy 2.4 gallons for one hours work. That's "progress"?
For Mr. D, no. You were doing well in high school, not so well now.

But, for everyone else, yes. In fact, if you convert wages to miles rather than gallons, we've won the wages-to-driving lottery nowadays

This week, the price of gas in my town is $3.46 per gallon.

The minimum wage is $7.25. That means, a minimum-wage person driving today's higher-mileage cars gets 2.1 gallons for an hour's work.

Now, let's look at each decade. I'll take the minimum wage at the time, factor the price of a gallon of gas at that point, and we'll see how many gallons could be purchased. Feeding clunky, thirsty Detroit iron.

Think about that last part. How many kids in 1970 drove cars that got 30 mpg? My buddies with street rods BRAGGED about gulping gas like our RVs do now.

But, let's look at a broader picture.

In 1940, an hour's work bought 1.7 gallons, that figure went to 2 gallons from 1950 to 1970, then rose to 2.4 gallons in 1980. In 1990, it was back to 1.8 gallons.

The best deal in recent history, when gas dropped to $1.61 per gallon in January of 2009 a minimum wage person could buy 4.5 gallons. Twice as good as any other decade.

So, even IF we ignore improvements in mpg, a minimum-wage type has always gotten about 2 gallons per hour worked.

But, taking today's much better fuel mileage into consideration, HUGE progress: minimum wage can probably buy twice as much gas than ever before, even at our inflated prices.

I'll let someone else do that analysis: do todays cars get 2, 4 or 6 times the miles out of a gallon, compared to historical designs?
Old 02-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
This week, the price of gas in my town is $3.46 per gallon.
Wow, the price in my town this week was $4.29 per gallon. That's $.83 more per gallon or almost 24% higher. I guess things are better in Texas than California but that throws your numbers way off for people who live in CA (a huge RV state).

Also, we are not talking here about improved gas efficiency for automobiles but rather we are talking about towing RVs and riding in motorhomes for people of moderate means and young families. These people are unlikely to have rigs that cost 6 digits with more efficient engines. Most are driving older 90s motorhomes like me. New motorhomes might get slightly better mileage than same size older ones and Yes, the trucks pulling trailers and 5ers might do a little better than in back in the 70s and 80s but not even close to double fuel efficiency and certainly not 4, 5 or 6 times as much, no way.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:56 AM   #35

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I'm happy to hear things are going so well of you. My point is that many people are getting priced out of RVing over high gas prices. Not everyone can spend $1/mile and still afford to actually do anything else. There was a time when working families with children could still afford to go camping with a trailer or even a motorhome. Now however, high gas prices are pushing them out. I don't mean to this to sound bitter, it's just a shame, that's all.

I,m middle class and I can afford RVing if I choose too and choice is the point, some want it all and maybe they can't RV,but we Americans are spoiled and want all some times we need to make a Choice,oh by the way Gas 1973 went to around .70centa a gal.I was making about $10,000 a year,so todays standards same job would be $50,000 = 5 times .70=$3.50 gas? Whats the problem?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka7suz View Post
Here's a fun site --
The Inflation Calculator

JoAnn
1999 Tradewinds 7371
Spokane Valley WA
using the calculator: $19.5cts/gal in 1956 = $1.547 in 2010.

at $4.00 someone is making some serious money. and we don't even get any green stamps.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #37

I,m not retired yet and you guys make me feel young. I can remember 65 cents a gallon. Yes my kids all have jobs and they are just making it, I hope they can enjoy the RV life on thier own like they did growing up with MOM and DAD. Looks like they will be going with MOM and DAD. Today diesel in NJ is $3.90 a gallon. We will find a way some how.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycon9 View Post
using the calculator: $19.5cts/gal in 1956 = $1.547 in 2010.

at $4.00 someone is making some serious money. and we don't even get any green stamps.

Where and how do come up with that?

1973 gas around $.70 today =$3.50 weekly pay 73 $150 today $750=5 time's 5x.70=3.50 ?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
Where and how do come up with that?

1973 gas around $.70 today =$3.50 weekly pay 73 $150 today $750=5 time's 5x.70=3.50 ?
As i said, i used the calculator.
See inflation calculator in post #28.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBOL View Post
I,m middle class and I can afford RVing if I choose too and choice is the point, some want it all and maybe they can't RV,but we Americans are spoiled and want all some times we need to make a Choice,oh by the way Gas 1973 went to around .70centa a gal.I was making about $10,000 a year,so todays standards same job would be $50,000 = 5 times .70=$3.50 gas? Whats the problem?

Well, like I said, here in CA gas is not $3.50/gal, it's selling for $4.29/gal, 23% higher. I have little doubt that it will soon cost $4.29 in TX which is 6.12 times as much as $.70 and I don't see that 1973 $10,000 job paying $61,200 any time soon, on the contrary, wages have been rather flat. If gas hits $5.00/gal (7.14 times as much as $.70) as many experts expect it to do, that same job has to pay $71,400 and if that job is in fact paying $50,000 today, as you claim, it means that the worker needs to get a $1,400 raise by the time $5.00/gal hits just to keep up. This kinda proves my point doesn't it? Of course you are correct, everyone must make their own choices but as costs increase options for many become limited. I don't think it has much to do with Americans being collectively "spoiled", in fact, I think most Americans are very giving people and collectively are the most generous in the world.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
ooops correction---that worker needs a $21,400 raise not $1,400 raise just to keep up---typo (missed the 2)
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
I think our #1 export use to be wheat......... now......read abit....
Gas, other fuels are top U.S. export

Tags
gas