Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #113

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Cool

Higher gas prices overseas seems to spur more new ideas and development. Maybe they will have it all figured out by the time we can no longer afford petroleum products here.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #114

Whatever it is, it is. Not going to cancel any trips planned because of the price.

John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
My NGV Honda Civic GX gets 32 mpg around town and over 40 on long trips no ac. Most fuel I ever put in was 6.7 GGE. GGE = gasoline gallon equivalent. Did I mention you can use the carpool lanes. Home refueling is also possible. Check out www.cngchat.com and www.cngprices.com
Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #116

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
My NGV Honda Civic GX gets 32 mpg around town and over 40 on long trips no ac. Most fuel I ever put in was 6.7 GGE. GGE = gasoline gallon equivalent. Did I mention you can use the carpool lanes. Home refueling is also possible. Check out www.cngchat.com and www.cngprices.com

Nice! How many miles per dollar's worth of NG do you get? Does it work out to be about the same as gasoline, or better?

For instance, I get 20MPG in my pickup truck. Fuel costs $4/gallon So I get about 5 miles per dollar.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:32 AM   #117

Met a guy one time in Lake Havasu City Az. We were both gassing up our boats at the highway gas pumps, and he told me he went through $2400.00 worth of diesel in 2 hours on a Saturday in the "poker runs" on the lake. He had one of those ocean racing cigarette hulls with dual diesel racing engines. In short he told me he does it because he can. We seem to forget there are a lot of people on this forum who will not give up the rv life no matter how high fuel prices go. Why ? Because they can..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #118

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Met a guy one time in Lake Havasu City Az. We were both gassing up our boats at the highway gas pumps, and he told me he went through $2400.00 worth of diesel in 2 hours on a Saturday in the "poker runs" on the lake. He had one of those ocean racing cigarette hulls with dual diesel racing engines. In short he told me he does it because he can. We seem to forget there are a lot of people on this forum who will not give up the rv life no matter how high fuel prices go. Why ? Because they can..
Very true. It's all about perspective. I met a guy in vegas who said he flies in for a couple of weeks and blows through $25k every night playing blackjack. Most people would find this incredible. For him, it was just what he was willing to pay for entertainment, and made no impact on his financial situation.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Remember when gas was cheap and even new families and middle class people could afford to RV? I wonder if that will ever occur again.
My first job I made .25 per hour, and now I am 65 and still working, but we love our MH and will pay the price to enjoy as long as we are able.
Herb
2007 Winnebago 39T (7mpg)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #120

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin

Nice! How many miles per dollar's worth of NG do you get? Does it work out to be about the same as gasoline, or better?

For instance, I get 20MPG in my pickup truck. Fuel costs $4/gallon So I get about 5 miles per dollar.
My long term fuel cost is about five cents per mile. MH could be built using this fuel just like busses and garbage trucks in Calif. filling at home would cost about $1.35 all in, depreciation, gas and electric.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #121

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
My long term fuel cost is about five cents per mile. MH could be built using this fuel just like buses and garbage trucks in Calif. filling at home would cost about $1.35 all in, depreciation, gas and electric.
Sign me up!

Old 03-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #122

In the good old days when gas was .28 a gallon, Dad bought a new 55 ford victoria and a 15 ft starfire camp trailer. A v-8 ford got about 12 mpg and would last 80,000 miles and 5 years max. We paid no cable or cell phone bill. As a family of 7 we all lived in a 900 sq ft house, one bath ( 4 girls). As a teenager I moved into the starfire in the backyard. Dad would move the starfire to a cattle ranch in the summer where I worked for .50 an hour 60 hrs a week to buy school clothes. We camped a lot. Mostly far from other people. You older folks wondering how your kids will manage, take a look at how most of them live. What they spend, and how they live compared to the good old days. Fuel is the least of their problems.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #123

The energy from fossil fuels is way more than you could get from fuel cells, and almost any other type of fuel we have at the moment.

Someone on another forum that I use posted a link to a video that gives a pretty thorough rundown of the energy debate. It's a bit long, but worth it to give a better understanding of our energy problems and why we are so dependent on fossil fuels (and why prices keep going up).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VOMWzjrRiBg
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #124

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
You older folks wondering how your kids will manage, take a look at how most of them live. What they spend, and how they live compared to the good old days. Fuel is the least of their problems.
Mostly as I see it, the problem is we all have gotten used to a certain standard of living. USA is for the first time since 1949 is exporting more petroleum products then we import. There is no shortage of oil.

As long as we over export to an ever expanding world market, prices will continue to sky rocket. Higher energy prices will continue to squeeze the middle class and people on fixed incomes.

Embrace $5.00 a gallon gas, because it won't be around very long.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:48 AM   #125

So, what can be done about the export problem?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing will be done about it; it's a free market and that's where they are selling the products.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas