Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kablewizard:
.......we went Through Oregon a few years back and the attendant were all in bikinis and washing windows in the summer, I tipped.

Have a great day. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why did you tip? Was it because of the bikini flashing across your face? What if the same job would had been done by an unshaven guy with greasy clothes? Is it possible those girls were there to raise funds for a high school fraternity or the likes? That might be my ONLY exception to tip.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2004, 04:11 AM   #16

I am 61 and I pumped gas and did all the full service things in my teenage years and I don't ever remember getting a tip and I never did and never will leave one. Bikini or not.
With the exception of waitress'/waiters, who by law can and are paid less than minimum wage, I do not tip unless the service is beyond reproach. Waitress'/waiters get a tip ranging from 25% for extremely good service to a penny for extremely bad service. I always leave something. Leaving just a penny, and that should be left under a plate, leaves a message for the waitress/waiter that we were extremely disatisfied with his or her service. That and a short "chat" with the manager.

Glenn & Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 04:48 AM   #17

I have never tip a fuel attendant , and I don't think I would , actually I haven't come across an attentant for at least 25 years , everywhere I go for gas is self-serve .
Old 10-21-2004, 07:05 AM   #18

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I enjoy tipping every now and then at places that aren't necessarily the normal spots for tipping, and a full service gas station would be a perfect place for it. Every once in a while.
A random act of kindness, and sometimes the appreciation it brings is worth more then the couple of bucks that was tipped.
If some guy is out there and you can tell he is persevering at his job pumping your gas or any other service, does it with a smile, and upon completion gives you a nod of the head and then turns to run over and help the next guy,.. it isn't the worst thing in the world to occaisionally tap him on the sholder and give him a buck or two, nod your head, and then turn and walk away. Occasionally.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:47 PM   #19

You mean there are still some Full Service station around. WoW. Used to pump gas and never got tipped. In fact no one ever got tipped was unheard of then.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:55 AM   #20

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rvten:
You mean there are still some Full Service station around. WoW. Used to pump gas and never got tipped. In fact no one ever got tipped was unheard of then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is a state law in both Oregon and New Jersey that their be an attendent to pump gasoline at a public gas/service station. This does not mean you will get full service but maybe so if you ask the attendent to do so. I've had gas pumped many times in our neighbor state of Oregon and they have never offered to check the oil, clean the windshield, etc. Again, it might be a different story if you ask.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

Old 11-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #21

I have been cheated!!!!!!!!!!!
I have lived and driven in Oregon for 50 years, and I still have not seen a bikini!
Guess I'd better buy more fuel.

Vaughn
Old 11-05-2004, 04:06 PM   #22

Rich and Zara, have never driven in Oregon so can't commebnt on their law. But have fueled many times in NJ and talk about inconsistent they take the cake. If you go into your every day run of the mill service station (BTW, why do we say that) you are correct an attendant must fuel your car. However, go into the RV island at Flying J and there is no attendant in sight and you fuel yourself. There are also no attendants at the trucker pumps. Diesel may not be explosive; but, it will burn. BYW, price per gallon for gasoline is the same at the RV island or the regular car islands, Ken Roberts, Crossville, TN...
Old 11-05-2004, 06:07 PM   #23

I pumped gas at a Citgo station when I was a kid in the 60's and the only gratuity I can remember was when a girl came in wearing a miniskirt!! Scotty.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:54 PM   #24

Tipping is reward for excellence, not doing one's job. Waitress'/waiters are paid a really low wage, $2.81 per hour + tips in Indiana. If the combination does not add up to the minimum hourly wage the employer is required to make up the difference. Those are about the only valid reasons for tipping in my opinion. I've even seen a tipping jar on the counter at an ice cream store, that is just plain greed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Bud:
I am one of the older ones who have pumped gas at a service station during a gas war in N.J. for $.19 per gallon. Having been born and raised in N.J. I could never figure out why anyone would want to get out of their vehicle,pump their own gas and then walk inside to the cashier to pay for it, and pay more than we do. Fuggedaboudit, In Joisey we are treated like a valued customer. To answer the original question, No I don't tip the person filling my tank in my vehicles or my MH. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off the top of my head:
I dont want my Cadillac (requires 89), my old Shelby Charger (89), my Gremlin (92 or better), or my wife's Grand National (less than 92 will damage the $6500+ engine) to get a tankfull of 87-octane from a clueless 17-year-old minimum-wage stoner.
I don't need the area around the filler pipe scratched up by a careless attendant.
It's nice to know the guy didn't flip up my plate/close the flap while the gas cap was sitting on top of the pump. On my bus (or some motorhomes), a cross-threaded cap could ruin my whole trip.
It's also nice to be certain the guy didn't pump 30+ gallons of GAS into my DIESEL pickup (happened to my friend with his diesel Benz).
When I go to full-serve (rarely), I notice the guy frequently will dribble gas down the side of the car--what a LOVELY sight on a car I just spent hours washing, polishing, & waxing. With diesel, it also makes a nice, oily mess.

I vastly prefer to pump my own gas. I even do so if I'm at a "full-serve" station. If they won't let me pump it myself, I'll fill up somewhere else.

1984 Ford B-700/ThomasBuilt bus conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:37 AM   #26

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Johnny:
I vastly prefer to pump my own gas. I even do so if I'm at a "full-serve" station. If they won't let me pump it myself, I'll fill up somewhere else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, come, on tell us how you really feel.

Don't go to New Jersey or Oregon as has been stated several times in this thread, it's not an option, it's state law.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #27

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't go to New Jersey or Oregon as has been stated several times in this thread, it's not an option, it's state law.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Is this law got anything to do with safety or is it a method of reducing welfare rolls? I actually thought for a brief moment that the legislators might feel the people from those states aren't smart enough to pump their own gas.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimmyDee:

Is this law got anything to do with safety or is it a method of reducing welfare rolls? I actually thought for a brief moment that the legislators might feel the people from those states aren't smart enough to pump their own gas.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

uhoooooo! That is rather strong for iRV2.com ...just hope you will not get a blast from that one.

Rich

iRV2.com Member #216