Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-17-2005, 04:40 AM   #29

Is that why what was known as "Service Stations" are now called Gas Bars?

I do not tip if they have full service!

Bob and Lois, Snowbirds!

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2005, 04:59 AM   #30
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimmyDee:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Don't go to New Jersey or Oregon as has been stated several times in this thread, it's not an option, it's state law.
Is this law got anything to do with safety or is it a method of reducing welfare rolls? I actually thought for a brief moment that the legislators might feel the people from those states aren't smart enough to pump their own gas.

WE HAVE A WINNER! It's thinly-veiled welfare for otherwise-unemployable people.

1984 Ford B-700/ThomasBuilt bus conversion
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #31
We tip when the service deserves it like did they wash the windows or offer to check the oil?
1991 Alpinelite 5th wheel. 1999 Dodge Cummins 4x4

Apple Hill RV Park Brookings Oregon
Scott and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 05:23 AM   #32
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers

......an old interesting thread.

Do you tip the pump attendant for the service provided at full service stations (if you can find one)?
'11 GMC Acadia SLT AWD
'11 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab
Hitchhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #33
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:

Do you tip the pump attendant for the service provided at full service stations (if you can find one)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the law is still there ...can find all public service stations to be using attendants in the states of New Jersey and Oregon. Does anyone know of any changes?

iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 11:45 AM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> posted by Rich and Zara
I think the law is still there ...can find all public service stations to be using attendants in the states of New Jersey and Oregon. Does anyone know of any changes?
Still the law in Oregon, don't know about New Jersey. Just go back from Oregon. Joined a card type station when we got the Diplomat, and refilled in Florence Oregon. No attendant at that one, but when we were driving gas Bounders, they always pumped the gas.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:43 PM   #35
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On this topic I travel to Mexico each year there is always someone there to pump the gas I am under the understanding that one must tip the attendent as he does not get paid is this in fact true or have I been getting taken normally $3.00 tip with fillup
Medic318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:16 AM   #36

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is still the law in NJ. The attendants are paid, tipping is just for good service. I wish the rest of the country had this law, it makes it very convenient to fill up.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #37
We were in Oregon this summer and I talked with the attendant. She was happy to have the job as she was a single parent with no support and previously on welfare. She felt earning a living was better than getting a welfare check. As I understand it both OR's & NJ's laws are based on the perception that when dealing with a highly flammable commodity a trained attendant is better than the average consumer. As an old pump jockey (50 years ago) I can see their point but I still prefer pumping my own gas.
DLBatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #38
Workhorse Chassis Owner
sold my business in aug. sat around for two months, couldnt take retirement. signed up for classes start in jan. decided to get 3 day a week job to get out of house. went to njtp sunoco to pump gas. never leave shift w/o 60.00 tip in my pocket. 120.00 turkeyday tips. i gave my 2 week notice, getting cold. cant believe tips, come from out of state people mostly. they are greatfull because they dont have to pump. i lived in nj all my life, never tipped. i do now.
nush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 PM   #39
I tip, why? Because I never forgot my roots and how hard it is to make it in this world today.It makes me feel good that I can afford to tip.I have been down on my luck and know how much it stinks to survive on a minimum wage job.thats why I tip.You all have valid reasons not to tip.I know that at Dunkin Donuts they know me by name and as soon as they see me they make my coffee the way I want it.That feeling is worth the extra $.35

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #40
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Having lived in NJ for years I did not know how to operate the new type of gas pump on a trip to Florida in 1988. What a time I had figuring out how to put the CC in the pump, push all the buttons etc. I still have to really look at each pump to make sure how the sequence goes.

BUT in NJ you pull into a station and an attendent looks at you with a sour face, you say fill it up, 20 dollar etc and you hope he speakes the lingo.

One major gas station/convience store (funny name)has right at the pumps that attendants cannot check oil as they are not qualified.

Getting a windshield cleaned is almost impossible, if you get out of the car you will not find water in the bucket and the tool is gone.

NJ has lower gas prices because the state gasoline tax is lower than most states. PA is about $.14 higher than NJ, MD is really high.

As above the only Flying J in NJ has attendants on the car lane, but not on the RV line.

To answer the original question I would never even think about tipping at the pump.
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40J, Roadmaster InvisiBrake Model 8700
2012 Chevy Captiva
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Wow, full service gas stations, that went out with the bath water here in the southern midwest. If you can't pump your own fuel you are out of luck. I prefer it anyway, that way if I'm checking my mileage I can see how much is going in and to what level. Its amazing the differences across the country!
2016 Silver Ram 3500 CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker DA 349 RSB, 2014 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #42
Hey Tom... there is a Sinclair station on 51st between Peoria and Lewis that is full service. Not only that but they sell at whatever price QT is selling gas for! Shocking, isn't it? I stop there quite often since it is near where I work. I haven't ever tipped the guys, now I am feeling guilty.

Happy trails!
Cat (& Jimmy)
New to us: 2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
OkieCat is offline   Reply With Quote