Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2006, 05:54 AM   #43

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tomcat F15:
I just had to read this topic, which I'd normally pass over, but I'm sorry this topic deserves a punch, thats totally ridiculous. Next thing your going to tip the grocery clerk, the fast food clerk at the window, the toll booth attentant, or the meter maid. Where did that notion come from?

Tomcat F15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Tomcat says it all.

CAT C12 455hp
Briteskys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 AM   #44

The one post was corect. Here in Oregon it is a safety issue and the people of this state do not want to pump their own gas or have a sales tax and continue to vote it down. Contrary to another post, it is not because of providing jobs for those on welfare.

As for tipping for the service, we don't. We do not have a choice. I personally think the employers should pay them more and not rely on us to make up the difference.

2001 Ford F250 Diesel
RoyandNancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 06:03 PM   #45

Yeah, I live in Oregon, too, and I think the issue has been on the ballot a few times and we have voted to keep it the way it is.

There really are folks out there who aren't bright enough to pump their own gas. You occasionally see photos on the internet of someone driving down the interstate with the pump and half the hose dragging behind.

There was a video around a while ago of someone who apparently started a fire by static electricity by sliding in and out of the vehicle while it was fueling, then touching the nozzle. Once there were flames shooting out of the filler neck, rather than hitting the emergency stop or getting an extinguisher, the genius pulled the still running nozzle out of the tank... with predictable results.

I think there is also an element of keeping jobs in the decision to prohibit self-service. A lot of school kids earn money for college that way, and a lot of folks that would otherwise be on welfare pump gas...

For the average Joe-Felon with neck tattoos, or Tommy the Tweeker with punctured veins, there aren't too many other employment opportunities. Seriously, for someone recovering from a substance problem or just out of prison, pumping gas can be a stepping stone- a job they can get with no references or employment history and if they prove to be a reliable and decent employee the manager's reference can be a way back into a decent job.

Mainly, though, I think most of us would just rather have someone else pump the fuel. When I was in Wisconsin one winter for a funeral service, I needed to get gas. I didn't enjoy being out in the -20 in dress clothes, plus the pump dripped from where the hose attaches to the nozzle...

There are exceptions to Oregon's law that allow motorcyclists to fuel if the attendant hands them the nozzle, diesel isn't considered flammable and is legal for self-serve, and some others are exempt.

Personally, I don't think gas attendants expect a tip, but I probably would if one went out of their way...
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:18 AM   #46

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:

There really are folks out there who aren't bright enough to pump their own gas.

A lot of school kids earn money for college that way

and a lot of folks that would otherwise be on welfare pump gas...

For the average Joe-Felon with neck tattoos, or Tommy the Tweeker with punctured veins, there aren't too many other employment opportunities. Seriously, for someone recovering from a substance problem or just out of prison, pumping gas can be a stepping stone-

Mainly, though, I think most of us would just rather have someone else pump the fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. As for the "folks out there who aren't bright enough to pump their own gas", then do we feel they would be bright enough to drive?

2. Yep! that could be a good starter job for school kids.

3. If it would keep one off of welfare, I would give it support.

4. I would rather that Joe-Felon to stay far away from my vehicle and family ...that goes for "Tommy the Tweeker with punctured veins" too. They caused their own problems, therefore, should we feel sorry for them?

5. Someone else to pump my gas? Over the years, I've got use to the idea of doing it myself ...can keep a better eye on the pump and don't have to worry about the attendent taking my credit card inside the station where it would be out of my sight.

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:43 AM   #47

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff_in_The_Dalles:
Yeah, I live in Oregon, too, and I think the issue has been on the ballot a few times and we have voted to keep it the way it is.

There really are folks out there who aren't bright enough to pump their own gas. You occasionally see photos on the internet of someone driving down the interstate with the pump and half the hose dragging behind.

There was a video around a while ago of someone who apparently started a fire by static electricity by sliding in and out of the vehicle while it was fueling, then touching the nozzle. Once there were flames shooting out of the filler neck, rather than hitting the emergency stop or getting an extinguisher, the genius pulled the still running nozzle out of the tank... with predictable results.

I think there is also an element of keeping jobs in the decision to prohibit self-service. A lot of school kids earn money for college that way, and a lot of folks that would otherwise be on welfare pump gas...

For the average Joe-Felon with neck tattoos, or Tommy the Tweeker with punctured veins, there aren't too many other employment opportunities. Seriously, for someone recovering from a substance problem or just out of prison, pumping gas can be a stepping stone- a job they can get with no references or employment history and if they prove to be a reliable and decent employee the manager's reference can be a way back into a decent job.

Personally, I don't think gas attendants expect a tip, but I probably would if one went out of their way... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very well written and thought out!!

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #48

You want to do WHAT !!!! Tip ? ?? For what???
Is this not there job? I am sorry but I have never heard of such a thing.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:23 AM   #49

Here's a tip, GET A BETTER JOB.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 AM   #50
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">GET A BETTER JOB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 12-04-2006, 04:53 AM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Personally, if Oregon put on a ballot measure to make a choice for the station operators to choose between having an attendant and not on their own, I.E. have it both ways, some stations can staff attendants if they want them, I would definitely vote for it.

As to it getting anyone off welfare, it doesn't, they're just on welfare and working at the sametime, so it doesn't help there.
'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #52

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
First let me say I don't tip the gas attendant. Here in VT we have both ways. In the town where I work I usually go to the station that has an attendant, it's the same price as pump your own. However I can see how someone might think it appropriate to tip the attendant. It's a service job like a waiter or waitress or hairdresser. Especially if they do a little extra like wash your windshield. However I don't believe it is the norm so I don't think we need to start.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #53

I noticed the tip jug today when I filled up. I might have considered tipping if the job was done well but they made everyone in line wait extra time as they kept running in & out. Granted, it was cold but there were 3 of them working - 2 could have worked the pumps while the 3rd warmed up & then they could have rotated every 10 minutes or so.

1998 TowLite 18TD
BigPackFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:59 PM   #54

lynnvt, Wash your windshield I think I am going move to VT they shore don't do that here Here they make you wait! just sit and look at you and hope you will drive away so they can stay warm or dry.

Earl

www.gsowners.com/
earljan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #55

Old enough to remember when there where no self service stations. We never tipped then and would not do so now. That is just my opinion.