Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 AM   #1

We recently finished a trip through the western states and were made aware that self service at gasoline pumps is not permitted in Oregon or New Jersey.
My question to those living in or adjacent to those states is, do you tip the pump attendant for the service provided? On one hand I tip Skycaps, Taxi Drivers,Waiters, etc. on the other hand I am being forced by those states legislators to use that service, like it or not.
Just wondering what you folks do and am feeling a little guilty for not slipping the guy a couple of bucks after he put $80 worth of gasoline on my truck.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2004, 02:46 AM   #2

We recently finished a trip through the western states and were made aware that self service at gasoline pumps is not permitted in Oregon or New Jersey.
My question to those living in or adjacent to those states is, do you tip the pump attendant for the service provided? On one hand I tip Skycaps, Taxi Drivers,Waiters, etc. on the other hand I am being forced by those states legislators to use that service, like it or not.
Just wondering what you folks do and am feeling a little guilty for not slipping the guy a couple of bucks after he put $80 worth of gasoline on my truck.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Old 10-20-2004, 02:57 AM   #3

If the attendant does full service, check oil, wash windshield, pump gas, maybe checks tire pressure, yes I give a tip. If I get a lazy one that just leans on the car and pumps the gas, no tip.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 03:21 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
When we were in Oregon on our way to Alaska in '01, I didn't tip any of the attendants. I didn't get any of the full service, checking oil, air, cleaning windshield, etc., either; not sure I'd want them from the guys we encountered.

We went to one truck stop and it was self service, I presumed there's an exception to the law for truckers.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:18 AM   #5

I just had to read this topic, which I'd normally pass over, but I'm sorry this topic deserves a punch, thats totally ridiculous. Next thing your going to tip the grocery clerk, the fast food clerk at the window, the toll booth attentant, or the meter maid. Where did that notion come from?

If you want to tip a well deserving sole or anyone, compile those tips and send them to the families of our troops who are living at almost poverty levels, while their loved ones are off to war protecting your country. If it weren't for our troops doing that dasterly deed for us you wouldn't be able to take your coach anywhere, there would be 911s all over this country and terrorists perched on roof tops waiting to send a rocket your way. The Bell of Freedom would only ring when bullets are bouncing off it.

Tomcat F15
Old 10-20-2004, 04:27 AM   #6

All the "we pump" staions I've ever seen (and we actually have one at the bottom of our mountain) charges more for the gas per gall than the "self-serve". I started driving during the mid 70's when we were having the gas wars in FL and I quickly learned to pump my own. I'm also quite able to clean my windshield (I carry a spray bottle and squeegee), and check my oil/coolant levels. We really don't trust others to do that.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just think about this; If a sleeping cow worked at a gas station would you really want to tip it?

(comic relief)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 06:24 AM   #8

I can remember when you did not pump gas. There was always an "Attendant" and he usually washed windows too. We never tipped him. NEVER. So why in the world should we do it now????? I like Tomcat's answer. If you have money to give away, do what he said

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 08:10 AM   #9

Being old enough to have worked in a "full service" station. I never expected or wanted a tip. You knew that your job was to check oil, wash all the windows, and check air in the tires. That was in the job description.
I guess young people today expect tips, want tips and demand tips. I do not tip for expected level of service. A tip is for extraordinary service. Be it a a gas station or a restaurant or any place that provides customer service.
And I do realize that many restaurants pay their service/waiters/busboys around $3/hr. I do tip them for good service.
Chet
Old 10-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #10

They pump the gas for you because they MUST do so according to their state law. It is a job that has never required a tip just for the service of pumping gas. My advise is DO NOT TIP unless they preform other services that might warrant that guaranty.

Rich
Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am one of the older ones who have pumped gas at a service station during a gas war in N.J. for $.19 per gallon. Having been born and raised in N.J. I could never figure out why anyone would want to get out of their vehicle,pump their own gas and then walk inside to the cashier to pay for it, and pay more than we do. Fuggedaboudit, In Joisey we are treated like a valued customer. To answer the original question, No I don't tip the person filling my tank in my vehicles or my MH.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:30 AM   #12

Because I am also confused about who, when and amount of tipping, I did a search. I don't agree 100% with the author, but he certainly seems to know more than I.

Of note, service station attendants are referenced. Art

http://www.findalink.net/tippingetiquette.php
Old 10-20-2004, 01:15 PM   #13

Thanks for the replys.
I feel better now that I didn't tip but was wondering what was customary.
My first paying job was bagging groceries in a big city supermarket and getting tips for carry out, usually $.05-$.10. I earned more from tips than employer wages. Just made me more aware I suppose.
Thanks again for the opinions.

'93' Prowler,30ft,5er
Old 10-20-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
My first job was pumping gas in Chicago in the winter. I say if its snowing or poring down rain then slipping a few bucks would be a surprise and a welcome I feel. On the other hand we went Through Oregon a few years back and the attendant were all in bikinis and washing windows in the summer, I tipped.

Have a great day.