Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gas Pump cautions

I’m going to post this as a caution for “we” gassers when we fill at a service station. Let me add this came from a son who works as the office manager at a local lawyer office.

Seems the new thing by smart A_ _ kids is to latch the fill trigger on the gas nozzle to the open position. So if you use a credit card and punch the octane button, it’ll immediately start spewing gas. Son story-----lawyers wife started to fill her tank, pulled nozzle out, inserted credit card (I didn’t know it could be done this way) and got soaked down with gas. This took place some where around Knoxville, TN. She was probably there for the TN Vols game with GA. Could happen any where me think.

Marty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty too View Post
I’m going to post this as a caution for “we” gassers when we fill at a service station. Let me add this came from a son who works as the office manager at a local lawyer office.

Seems the new thing by smart A_ _ kids is to latch the fill trigger on the gas nozzle to the open position. So if you use a credit card and punch the octane button, it’ll immediately start spewing gas. Son story-----lawyers wife started to fill her tank, pulled nozzle out, inserted credit card (I didn’t know it could be done this way) and got soaked down with gas. This took place some where around Knoxville, TN. She was probably there for the TN Vols game with GA. Could happen any where me think.

Marty

Hmmmm, lawyers wife, sounds like someone is in for a lawsuit. Just kidding, the same thing happened a few years ago to me when I was fueling my Ford diesel pickup. Didn't get any on myself, but sure washed the side of the truck with diesel.

Dieselclacker

Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.... As it turns out there are two types of gas pump nozzles, Called, strangly enough, Type A and type B.

Now on one of those, you can indeed latch the valve open in the manner you cite.. These are ILLEGAL FOR USE ON SELF SERVE PUMPS in most states.. (I can not speak for all but every state where I've checked prophbits these unless the latching sytem is disabled)

The other type, Will release when the pump shuts off...

Here is how to tell the difference

Buy like10 or 20 dollars worth of gas (So the pump shuts off before the tank is full) and stand there... If, shortly after the pump shuts off, you feel the handle "Release" than that valve is legal for a hold-open device on a self serve pump.

If the pressure never changes, and the valve has a working latch, report it to the local fire marshalls,, They will padlock the pump.

WHY.... Well... Re-read the original post.. That's why.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:20 AM   #4

Perhaps that is why modern fuel pumps have a button or lever that must be operated before fuel flows to the nozzle. Most every gas pump requires one to select the grade before any fuel may be pumped.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Guys, I have no reason to disbelieve what was passed on to me, but let me say this. I personally have not had any reason to test this out but I just might the next time I fuel up. There are two types of latch's used locally. One where there's a hook at the rear of the handle that will hook the end of the feed lever to the up position. The other type is a small trigger under the feed lever to hold it in the up position. Now I'm aware in both types that each will trip the feed valve closed by air pressure in the fuel tube to prevent fuel flash back when the tank becomes full. What I don't know is this. Once the nossel is placed back in it's cradle and in either type, relocks the feed handle in the open position does the internal valve remain shut or is it returned to the open position. I would guess that it should remained closed making it necessary to recycle the feed handle to get it open. How ever, if the tank is fairly empty, capable of holding 18 gals but only 10 gals is feed into the tank and the nossel returned to the cradle with out being trip, will the feed handle valve remain open if either latch is applied while setting in the cradle? To me it's an interesting thought on something I've never tried. But in this day and age, who knows for certain what will or won't happen.

Marty
Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 PM   #6

in my 30 years of trucking i have had this happen to me once while filling up my truck. i would put the drivers side nozzle in walk around grab the right side from the pump and it started to flow all over me.a good friend had this happen also, some inconsiderate trucker thought this was cute. from then on we both check the handles before we grabbed them. pretty sick trick.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, as I said.. BY Law, in most states (I'm sure of Michigan only) a self serve pump nozzle either must have the lock open device removed or must be the kind that releases when the pump shuts off...

BY LAW

Some stations, ignore that law however so the warning is valid

But if that every happens to me I'll check the law and if it's a requriement in that state that the Trigger lock be disabled,

And if it is... Here come da judge. (And the fire marshall)
Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Well, as I said.. BY Law, in most states (I'm sure of Michigan only) a self serve pump nozzle either must have the lock open device removed or must be the kind that releases when the pump shuts off...

BY LAW

Some stations, ignore that law however so the warning is valid

But if that every happens to me I'll check the law and if it's a requriement in that state that the Trigger lock be disabled,

And if it is... Here come da judge. (And the fire marshall)
As a prior gas station owner, I can assure you there are a few other objects that will lock a handle in the open position besides the trigger lock. For one, A simple folded match book inserted under the lower part of the handle works well!!
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #9

Smilin Bob, wondered when someone would nab that for a handle. Since most gasoline pumps require the customer to select a grade, usually a large button to push, I never push the button until the nozzle is in the filler opening. This negates any malfunction of the nozzle lever, and since every pump is now required to have an emergency shut-off, even if the nozzle lever fails spilling gas is remote, IF the operator is attentive.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Another self fueling annoyance I've been running in to recently is that many of the nozzles I find are filled with gas or diesel when the nozzles are placed back into the pump by the previous user.

I'm not sure if this is a malfunction in the nozzle and gas is seeping through the shut off nozzle from residual pressure in the hose or if it is deliberate by someone holding the nozzle upright and squeezing the trigger a little bit to fill the nozzle. (I doubt that's the case since their paying for that gas)

In any case, I've dumped gas down the side of the car, and diesel on the side of the motorhome when grabbing one of those filled nozzles
Old 10-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote from Joe-K:

"Another self fueling annoyance I've been running in to recently is that many of the nozzles I find are filled with gas or diesel when the nozzles are placed back into the pump by the previous user."

Joe: I had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday at a Home Depot station when I filled my wifes car. I was lucky for the spill went onto the ramp next to the pump missing me and the car. I should remember to be careful and try to get that "extra" fuel into the car for it's fuel that I don't have to pay for.

Marty
Old 10-29-2009, 04:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you seen a pump that uses the same hose for gas and diesel?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
No to the above!
Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Have you seen a pump that uses the same hose for gas and diesel?
That would be one where my exit would be faster than the proverbial "flash in the pan." No pun intended.