Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #15

Strictly from a Dealership mechanic point of view with 29 years experience I would never have a diesel. The diesel fuel today lacks lubricity which will cause injectors and pumps to wear out prematurely . I also see more water contaminated fuel systems than ever before. Fuel quality is much poorer then it was 10 years ago. An injection pump and injectors can cost more than $10,000.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
Never had a diesel MH just a diesel PU. Yup, that is what I did. STOP! My diesel gelled in 30 below weather and stopped on an isolated highway and I traded it for a gas PU.
Dang that's cold the ice road truckers aren't that cold.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Fredv. Do you own an RV? Campgrounds are loaded with diesels. Highways are loaded with 18s. My take is you don't like working on them. JMHO of course.
Mike
Old 10-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #18

Once you go D you never go G !
Old 10-01-2014, 07:01 PM   #19

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ive had them all.

Tents, to camper's, to pop up, to small towable, to little MH, to huge TT, to huger 5er, back to small pull behind, back to small MH, then to big MH, then to perfect DP.

Of all the RV's ive ever owned, The DP is the nicest driving, most comfortable, best constructed, best quality and the overall best ive ever owned.

I may go back to gas later in life just because of size but it will be hard!
RobRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #20

As you read different posts it depends on each person what is best for RVing or camping. Individual taste on what you want and where you want to camp. Many of us have camped and RV'd for years. What I like now or fits for me may or not be the choice for others. You really need need to pick an RV or whatever gor your life style at your stage in life. I'm sure it will change as you age and your life changes. JMHO
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:58 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post

Floor-plan's are for the practical.

I've owned 6 motorhomes (gas, gas, gas, dp, dp, gas) and I learned a long time ago that floor-plan is the most important aspect of the motorhome. Here are the facts, the average FTer drives 6,000 miles a year, which equates to driving 1% of the year you are using the chassis/engine. The other 99% of the time you using the floor-plan.

So the choice is yours, focus on the 1% or focus on the 99%.
Unless I missed it somewhere the OP doesn't state he's a full timer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
As you read different posts it depends on each person what is best for RVing or camping. Individual taste on what you want and where you want to camp. Many of us have camped and RV'd for years. What I like now or fits for me may or not be the choice for others. You really need need to pick an RV or whatever gor your life style at your stage in life. I'm sure it will change as you age and your life changes. JMHO
Best advice and info on this thread.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:15 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've had two diesel pushers so far. We planned on being full timers by now but life got in the way with my parents getting sick and dying, then my step daughter died so we ended up raising two grandkids and now the DW is extremely sick.
We've ended up only driving 40,000 miles in 14 years but still don't regret going to a DSDP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Gone from tents all the way to Class C gas, to class A gas, now diesel pusher. Diesel is a whole different world of comfort. Be careful not to get bit by the diesel bug unless you're ready to upgrade. I got bit bad.

We used to yell at each other in the gassers to try to have a conversation going down the road. It was very loud. Now we can whisper at each other.

I'd rather drive my DP than drive any car, it's that comfortable.

We used to go blown around in the wind or by passing semi's. Now we do the blowing.

Best of luck.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #24

thanks to everyone for the info, no we are not full time yet still working, I have been bitten by the diesel bug but DW has stopped that from going to far. Also, right now I am taking care of my mother I just wanted to hear from the folks that have been driving longer than I have as to the choices. DW has said for her it is the floor plan
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #25

If the floor plan rules it may make your choice. Not many diesels under 35 ft, not many gassers over that.

What will get interesting is if somebody starts putting a decent diesel in a 30 ft chassis. Some of the MDT based C's might be there but they are significantly higher, heavier and more expensive from what I have seen so far.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:51 PM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin already does in its 32' Allegro Breeze.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
A DP has many advantages, especially if you plan to be on the road as much as you are parked. We would have loved the quieter ride and perhaps a better ride, but could not justify the substantial up front cost, additional fuel cost, and higher maintenance cost. We found a floor plan and quality we liked and went with that.
If I find myself with an extra $100,000 in my pocket you might find me in a DP.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 PM   #28

Mike, I will point out that I own a 2000 National Tropical 36' class A motorhome. Before the government imposed ultra low sulfur diesel fuel on us I would have considered a Diesel pusher. My issues with diesels have grown out of problems caused by the bad fuel not the actual engines. Customers who have had to shell out large sums of money to correct these issues asking me why since all their maintenance is up-to-date they have to replace their injectors. I have made a good living off of diesels ,I just think my customers deserve better fuel then what is available here in Florida

Tags
diesel, gas