Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
StuartCaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 107
Gas vs Diesel

Has anyone gone from a gas to diesel and regretted it or returned to a gas motor home?
__________________

__________________
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 940
I had a diesel truck with a camper on it for 20+ years. Most people who have had both prefer the diesel. They are more reliable. But it depends a lot on how much you drive the MH. I know a couple who are hosts at a campsite every summer, and during the winter they are parked at a spot at a campground on the beach. Therefore, the gas motor home is a better choice for them....low miles per year. If you are a full-timer and on the move all the time, you might be better off with a diesel. BUT they cost a lot more to buy.
__________________

__________________
2004 Tiffin Allegro 27.5 ft. P32 18,000 lb GVW. 8.1 liter. Workhorse chassis built May 2002. 21,000 miles. 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad. RVi2 brake unit.
Full.Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:29 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
stink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,414
Drove both, rode in both, no comparison, Diesel!!
__________________
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 26
I agree with stink... once you have had the pleasure... and expense of having a diesel... it's hard to use anything else.
__________________
cj00ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
StuartCaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 107
Thanks for the info I have driven diesel pickups but never a MH Just about talked the DW into something larger and with a diesel engine. She gets to pick the floor plan
__________________
StuartCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
oakcreekeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 939
Floorplan's are for wives...

Chassis are for husbands...

BUT?!?!?!?! Happy wife = Happy Life !!
__________________
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 4,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCaw View Post
Has anyone gone from a gas to diesel and regretted it or returned to a gas motor home?
No,unless you really down size maybe a class B then probably not. I'll stick to diesel until I stop.
__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
StevenNSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FullTime, North America
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Floorplan's are for wives...

Chassis are for husbands...



Floor-plan's are for the practical.

I've owned 6 motorhomes (gas, gas, gas, dp, dp, gas) and I learned a long time ago that floor-plan is the most important aspect of the motorhome. Here are the facts, the average FTer drives 6,000 miles a year, which equates to driving 1% of the year you are using the chassis/engine. The other 99% of the time you using the floor-plan.

So the choice is yours, focus on the 1% or focus on the 99%.
__________________
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
StevenNSteph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FullTime, North America
Posts: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCaw View Post
Has anyone gone from a gas to diesel and regretted it or returned to a gas motor home?

Yes, no, yes.

Yes I went from gas to a DP
No I did not regret it.
Yes I am back in a gasser.

Motorhomes are mission specific, your mission (use) will dictate if you should get a DP. If your mission does not 'force' you into a DP than you should let floor-plan decide your coach.
__________________
Steven and Stephanie
2007 Winnebago Adventurer 38J
2008 Hyundai Elantra
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
mike.t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Norcal
Posts: 497
Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
Never drove a diesel MH. But would never get rid of my diesel truck.
__________________
2017 Freelander 26RS

2013 Ram 1500 4X4 Hemi
mike.t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Snowbird - Waterford Mi and Citrus Springs Fl.
Posts: 3,609
Went from Class A gas to diesel, and would never go back - not with a class A anyway. As our travel needs change, I can see where there may be a day when we don't need a Class A. We may go with something more like a B.
__________________
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:32 AM   #12
RVM #74
 
PushedAround's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ambler, PA
Posts: 2,853
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenNSteph View Post


Floor-plan's are for the practical.

I've owned 6 motorhomes (gas, gas, gas, dp, dp, gas) and I learned a long time ago that floor-plan is the most important aspect of the motorhome. Here are the facts, the average FTer drives 6,000 miles a year, which equates to driving 1% of the year you are using the chassis/engine. The other 99% of the time you using the floor-plan.

So the choice is yours, focus on the 1% or focus on the 99%.
Yes, that is exactly it. Floorplan, functionality & storage. Everything else is just glitz. I'd love to have a little bigger motor, and maybe disk brakes, but once I get to where I'm going, I don't want for anything...except maybe a little quieter rear A/C unit.

That said, I won't trade my DP for anything gas. Even with it's ISB, it still has plenty of power, gets great mileage for a MH and is extremely quiet doing down the road.
__________________
Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
No,unless you really down size maybe a class B then probably not. I'll stick to diesel until I stop.
Never had a diesel MH just a diesel PU. Yup, that is what I did. STOP! My diesel gelled in 30 below weather and stopped on an isolated highway and I traded it for a gas PU.
__________________
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
TonyDi's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Posts: 10,442
Diesel, Diesel, Diesel!!
__________________

__________________
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi, Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy. TST 507 TPMS
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel, gas



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Noise level driving front end diesel vs gas. Keithmq MH-General Discussions & Problems 17 06-03-2014 08:51 PM
A High End Gas Class A or A Low End Diesel Pusher Grandcanyon Class A Motorhome Discussions 110 04-23-2014 11:22 AM
Combination Gas - Diesel engine George Schweikle iRV2.com General Discussion 3 01-10-2014 09:35 AM
Thor Gas Club rvbunz Thor Industries Owner's Forum 24 09-14-2013 07:00 PM
Maximizing our Gas Rewards 2Labs Just Conversation 2 06-02-2013 08:39 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.