Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
GE Moving to China

General Electric is planning to move its 115-year-old X-ray division from Waukesha , Wis. , to Beijing . In addition to moving the headquarters, the company will invest $2 billion in China and train more than 65 engineers and create six research centers. This is the same GE that made $5.1 billion in the United States last year. but paid no taxes-the same company that employs more people overseas than it does in the united States .

So let me get this straight. GE Chairman Jeff Immelt is to be the Government's Job Czar. Immelt is supposed to help create jobs. I guess they forgot to tell him in which country he was supposed to be creating those jobs.

GE Moves 115-Year-Old X-Ray Unit's Base to China to Tap Growth - BusinessWeek

snopes.com: General Electric China Move

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ya I heard this also. Very sad. Too bad the major news outlets never mention this story or followup with hard questions.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So let me get this straight. GE Chairman Jeff Immelt is to be the Government's Job Czar. Immelt is supposed to help create jobs. I guess they forgot to tell him in which country he was supposed to be creating those jobs
Why don't he just pack up and move there since he seems to love China more than the USA.
This guy should have nothing to do with the U.S. !
The needs of the Greedy always prevail!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Jack was a hard CEO to replace but Immelt has been awful. Who's winning beside China, it's not even the shareholders under his tenure.

On the other side corporations are under attack by Hollywood, the silly Occupy Wall Street etc, then add in our government going after Boeing trying to dictate where they can build/operate in this country. Yet Boeing is free to build that same factory outside this country.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have trouble trusting manufactured products from a country that has proven they can't make drywall properly.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I have trouble trusting manufactured products from a country that has proven they can't make drywall properly.
Or poisons their own babies with melamine just to make the protein content of formula appear higher.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
IC2

I'm sure that move wont make my crappy pension any better either(but at least I do have a small stipend for my 40 years with them).

I stopped buying GE even before I retired
Old 11-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
I'm sure that move wont make my crappy pension any better either(but at least I do have a small stipend for my 40 years with them).

I stopped buying GE even before I retired
I was fortunate enough to be severed when the company I worked for was bought by GE. GE promptly severed all of us, and outsourced the work elsewhere. It was interesting that even tho they researched our company, they spent several million trying to figure out how to run it without the proper staff. I am not a big GE fan.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
Another reason for me to call them Gouging Electric.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I need to buy a couple of light bulbs.....and thanks to the waco environmentalists I have to buy these garbage ECOSMART bulbs and I have yet to find any not made in Communist China.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
Attached Images

"Semper Fi"
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardy View Post
Jack was a hard CEO to replace but Immelt has been awful. Who's winning beside China, it's not even the shareholders under his tenure.

On the other side corporations are under attack by Hollywood, the silly Occupy Wall Street etc, then add in our government going after Boeing trying to dictate where they can build/operate in this country. Yet Boeing is free to build that same factory outside this country.

So if a company breaks Federal Law, we should just pat them on the back and say "don't do that again.?

If they would have kept there mouth shut as to why they where building there no one would have been able to say a thing.

The UNION members bailed out boeing on the 787 debacle. BTW there are about 45 787s on the ground and parts are still coming in messed up and not finished. Work union workers have to fix.

Also, all these people boeing has been throwing at the 787 to try to get fixed, there jobs are TEMPORARY. The lay offs are coming.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
alto i agree with all the disagreement here any i would would be banned and i would receive as spanking from the mods
so please keep it up i will just enjoy
brianj
Old 11-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
greggholmes: Sorry I hit a note with you but I wasn't referring to the union fight (you can call it something different if you like) with Boeing. But rather that Boeing could have moved the plant with ease and that's what GE is doing. So let's see, build a plant in the US and get what Boeing is getting or move overseas like GE and just get folks like us blabbing...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #14

Food for thought
When all the manufacturing companies move their stuff to China so that they can use penny labor to build the stuff for resale at the higher labor price, then how are those left without a job and greatly reduced resources supposed to purchase the items that are now being produced for penny labor.

Oh, I forgot, retrain so you can perform a desk job that only produces digital paper. At what point do we run out of digital paper jobs and such that penny labor products can only be sold at penny labor prices?

Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Closed Thread