Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 06:04 AM   #1

Gen-turi Attachment to Coach

I am seeking advice on the best method of attaching a gen-turi stack to the side of a coach while in use. The original mounting hooks are missing.

I have seen and tried suction cups (only to have them come loose), adhesive hooks and even mechanically fastened hooks with screws or rivets with bungee cords etc.

We have an older Bounder with fiberglass/Gelcoat sides and are hesitant to poking holes even though the would be well sealed I will if that's the only sure way to not have it come loose in wind or loss of suction.

Has anyone found a successful method they can share?

Thanks!
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 AM   #2

I cleaned the surface and used the glue on pads that came with it. If I needed to do more I would screw or pop rivet the pads with fresh contact cement. There is not a lot of strain on the pads as all they do is keep the pipe vertical. The weight goes on the part that attaches to the tail pipe of the generator.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:48 AM   #3

I agree with Nothermark. I just cleaned the surface very well and applied the adhesive backed eyelets. The tube's weight is carried by the tailpipe. Any vibration from the generator is isolated or very reduced by the straps. If your coach is level, the straps simply maintain the upright position because the tube is essentially balanced on the tailpipe. We've had no issues. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The suction cups that you used?Where they this size?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It depends on where your generator is located in relation to other things on the coach.

In my case the generator exhaust comes out on the drivers side just in front of the wheels and next to the drivers side window.

I did not want to drill holes in the side of the coach either so I came up with a solution. I installed the exhaust pipe and located 2 retaining screws that hold on the small plastic covers over the weep holes in the bottom of the window. I then took 2 small of wire and made a loop that I could hook the hook at the end of the bungee that holds the exhaust up right. The hooks are barely visible and always there so no big deal to install the Genturi. Only issue is that I cannot use the generator slide while exhaust is hooked up but not a big deal.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:06 AM   #6

Look at Rocky Larson's post. That is what I use. I also use one when washing the windshield. When up high no the ladder I snap one on to the windshield as a hand hold. It won't hold your weight but is sufficient to steady yourself.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I relocated my generator exhaust to the rear of the coach because it originally exited beneath the bedroom window, not very smart in my opinion...
Anyway, doing so allowed me to position the exhaust next to my roof ladder. When I attach the Genturi system, I simply attach the two rubber bungee cords to stainless steel eyelets I riveted into the bottom of one of the ladder rungs. I place a block of closed cell foam between the Genturi and the ladder to minimize vibration and keep it from bending. Works like a champ.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #8

My exhaust is on the drivers side below the mirror so I just bungee it to the mirror with a sponge between
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #9

Barret-FL
I know you've said you you've tried suction cups but, I use one that is pretty darn tough to break loose. It's the suction cup that came with my Go-pro camera. That suction cup has been tested to remove dents in test cars, it's that strong. Once that suction cup is placed into position, I cannot possibly remove it without using the release levor attached. Now, if you decide to get one and try it, I don't have a clue as to where you could get just the suction cup from a Go Pro camera setup. Below is my use of it and, how I adapted to my home made "Genturi" system. It's a downspout from a rain gutter system that works flawlessly.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020103.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	179895  
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Barret-FL
I know you've said you you've tried suction cups but, I use one that is pretty darn tough to break loose. It's the suction cup that came with my Go-pro camera. That suction cup has been tested to remove dents in test cars, it's that strong. Once that suction cup is placed into position, I cannot possibly remove it without using the release levor attached. Now, if you decide to get one and try it, I don't have a clue as to where you could get just the suction cup from a Go Pro camera setup. Below is my use of it and, how I adapted to my home made "Genturi" system. It's a downspout from a rain gutter system that works flawlessly.
Scott

Great idea. It appears you only use one suction cup.
I might try that if I can locate the suction cup set-up. My stack is about 6 inches from the side so I'll have to make the bracket stand off a bit.

Thanks!
Barrett-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrett-FL View Post
Great idea. It appears you only use one suction cup.
I might try that if I can locate the suction cup set-up. My stack is about 6 inches from the side so I'll have to make the bracket stand off a bit.

Thanks!
I ordered a couple Garmin suction cups off of Ebay, they were cheap and they won't pull off with out releasing the handle. They look similar to the ones for the camera.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #12

No longer have the coach but on my Monaco I cut off a piece of a pool noodle and fastened the genturi against it for a stand-off.