Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Onan, back before Gen-turi. 2 hours then the CO detector detected and became very annoying.

My ONAN post-Gen-turi install, 25 hours, twice, (That's all the longer I needed it)

The Big Block Chevy V-8 with Genrac Transmission at work (And proper exhaust extension) 2 days as I recall.. Might have been longer.

a proper generator can run so long as it has fuel, And some of them can have extended tanks that let them run for a week or more .. Provided they are in good condition.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
I have run mine 9 days with turning it off to check the oil. $300.00 of fuel
Gotta do what ya gotta do My recommended oil change for my gen set by Onan Cummings is 250 hours

Renegade Garage Unit
Ed S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #17
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by ejm4 View Post
When we tailgate at college football games in the late summer our Onan has ran for over 48 hours straight.

But you should get one of these... Auto transfer switch, connected directly to natural gas.

My wife and I were watching CCN and they reported that there were going to be disruptions in the gas lines due to the high water and storm surge. I've thought about installing a generator like that but around here it could be an earth quake (WA state) and that would break the lines anyway. Would have to use propane and the tank would need to be really huge for any length of time.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #18

I have a propane unit similar to the one posted above and it is connected to a 500 gallon propane tank. We live off grid and it is a back up to our solar system. We never know when the neighbors have power interruptions because we are off the power grid and we always have power. Not for everybody but works well for us.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for running the generator, you need to watch a few things....
1. exhaust does not enter any living areas.
2.I like to shut down and check the oil every 24 hours.
3.Watch the generator run hours and plan to do an oil/filter change as required per the manual.
4.You typically do not need to run it 24/7. Run it for electric to power the things you need, like electric frig, microwave, keep the batteries up. If you are running an electric frig, you only need to run a few hours a day and keep the door closed as much as possible.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well we made it through with no problems. We didn't lose power or get any water in the basement. All is good for us. Some other not as lucky.
We'll be ready for the next one.

Scott Pierce
2000 Winnebago Journey 36L
2007 Honda CRV
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote