Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2009, 09:18 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Goecaching in an RV

Mama, So you are a gadget person. OK, some other cool things you can do with a handheld is use it as a very accurate speedometer. How fast is your boat? Your golf cart or bicycle? It's cool to use it on an airliner (But, ask the attendant if it is allowed. Some say no, some don't care) If I added another feature on mine it would be a compass that reads when sitting still. With mine, it must be moving to continually update direction. A true barometric altimeter is neat, I guess. You decide.

And I didn't stay in town in Quartzsite. We went to Salome and drove back to do shopping in the "Tent".

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Mama,
Met you as you were leaving from Quartzsite. Any way we have been geocaching for a few years but not hung on it. We usually find a few here and there while exploring and this is a good way to find some country we would not normally see, get a little exercise, find views(water falls, lakes, arches) or learn about history. I use the Nuvi and a handheld. The Nuvi gets me close and then the handheld takes over(means downloading the ponts twice). But I have used the Nuvi by swithching to off road and it will get you darn close. At geocaching com you can down load points into almost any GPS as long as you can hook it to the computer but one at a time. You can register for free and lot your finds.

LEN and PAT we were in the green 4-runner

Old 06-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Hello Mama,
Met you as you were leaving from Quartzsite. Any way we have been geocaching for a few years but not hung on it. We usually find a few here and there while exploring and this is a good way to find some country we would not normally see, get a little exercise, find views(water falls, lakes, arches) or learn about history. I use the Nuvi and a handheld. The Nuvi gets me close and then the handheld takes over(means downloading the ponts twice). But I have used the Nuvi by switching to off road and it will get you darn close. At geocaching com you can down load points into almost any GPS as long as you can hook it to the computer but one at a time. You can register for free and lot your finds.

LEN and PAT we were in the green 4-runner
Len - Of course I remember you and your wife...we were just lucky enough to have a late start on the day as we left QZ - so we were still saying our good-byes!

I am sooo looking at getting into geo-caching ...I just need to squeeze it into all the spare time I have! I have already signed up at the GeoCaching web-site (any guesses of my name?) and I am scoping out the neighborhood caches. (there are probably 20 within a 2 mile radius of my current location)

I am into gadgets and I have a thing of if I am going to spend money ... then I would rather do research and get the best that I can for the money I will spend

All I can say is- I need to get the right GPS and then I will be an "official" geo-cacher!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
MM,
You don't need to fool yourself into thinking you need a nice fancy unit. We were given the bottom end Garmin 250 for our truck for Christmas. It's quite tiny, really, certainly not something you would want to mount in your vehicle.

But surprise, surprise. One of the menu items allows you to put in the coordinates of a cache. That's all you need. With that, the GPS takes us to within about ten feet of the hidden cache.

It's pretty neat, fit's in your shirt pocket easily, lasts about four hours on a charge. I was all prepared to go get a fancy hand held hiking model that takes penlight batteries (easy to carry spare batteries on a hike), but this one does the job just fine.

enjoy, Mike
Old 07-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #19

We got into Geocaching when we retired three years ago. We bought a home in a different area than we lived for most of our life and it was a great way to learn more about the area around our new home. We enjoy looking during our travels also. There are some real clever folk out there. Some write up neat stories about their caches. Some caches are easy and pretty obvious. Some are real clever. Some we have not found.....but will some day.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #20

Hi there,

My ex and I have been geocaching for about 2 years. And as one poster said, it takes you to places that you would never see otherwise. Heck it got us to 3 parks in our little town that we didn't even know existed!

We love finding the big ones. We leave Jimmy Buffett cd's in them that say courtesy of Cdn Parrothead (our geo name).

We stopped at a rest stop in nowhere, Nevada once and I said to hubby I bet there's one behind this sign... AND THERE WAS!! You really get to know what to look for. And some of the hides are positively genius!

It's a great hobby which I'm looking forward to doing more of when I head south for the winter.

Good luck with it.
Cdn Parrothead
Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I have plans to buy my hubby a handheld GPS for his birthday…..We are going to enjoy geocaching, he just doesn’t know it yet!
Explorer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM   #22

In 2003 I launched the Law & Order Travel Bug. Its goal was to make it to Scotland Yard with stops at police departments around the world where it would be photographed.

It took six years, but it recently achieved its objective.

Team Bizgal (Mrs. Wicked and I) have placed a few geocaches and found about 200 of them, along with a couple benchmarks.

I've driven for a couple hours off-road looking for a benchmark, only to find that it was destroyed by a flood decades ago. The easy-to-find benchmarks have all been found and the ones out in the wilderness are the ones still available to locate.

We use a Garmin Nuvi to get us into the general area of the cache or mark and then use a couple Garmin handhelds to get us to the final coords.