Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #43
Thor Owners Club
Virginia has had "Keep Right Except to Pass" signs for many, many years. The legislature is considering this law so the police will finally be able to enforce it. I think it is a fantastic law.

2013 Silverado 2500 HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM   #44

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1077913662.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	58069

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:15 PM   #45
I wonder how a GA. judge will handle the case of a person driving 5 MPH over the posted speed limit through Atlanta and ticketed for impeding traffic in the left lane? Two charges, two fines? One for speeding, one for impeding traffic? I can see all sorts of problems with this "law".
When laws are passed that are un-enforced uniformly, it breeds contempt for those laws,(one of which is speed limits) and often carries over to other areas of law.

CampDaven, I like your post. How true George was.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 PM   #46
Entegra Owners Club
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Georgia is one signature away from passing this new law that criminalizes driving in the fast lane. Even if you are driving the speed limit, and a faster car approaches, you are required to move over and allow the speeder to continue on their way unimpeded. MSN Entertainment -

What does that say about Georgia enforcing speeding laws?
Good for Georgia! I wish this was a federal law! In KY, it is the law to "Keep right except to pass" and it is not enforced enough. It is dangerous to pass people on the right. On European "interstates", everyone knows to keep right and traffic flows smoothly.
2017 Dynamax Isata 5
2013 JKU toad
jdwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #47

How many of you think this will change anything?
Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:41 PM   #48
won't fix a damn thing. you can't fix stupid, or inject common sense.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #49

Carolina Campers
It will not stop road rage.... It will not stop the traffic from having jams, there are too many reasons that it happens than people going too slow in the left lane.... In fact, I think speeders cause more traffic issues than someone driving the speed limit...
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #50
Left lane huggers are as much a cause of the problem as overly aggressive drivers. Many comments throughout this post address the potential for obtaining a speeding ticket while trying to pass in the left lane. I concur that this could be a problem in some cases however the vast majority of left lane huggers I run across are driving 5-10mph under the posted speed limit. When I do get the chance to pass them on the right, which is very dangerous, I take a quick glance over at them and they are positively oblivious to their errors. Can they not even see the mile long line of traffic behind them swerving further left in an attempt to see what the slow down is up ahead? While passing I've had some flip me off so obviously they knew their error but elected to slow the entire highway down anyhow. Is this person being sanctimonious?

Here is a good except from a blogger whom has identified the 5 different types of left lane huggers:
The Oblivious Driver: This driver may or may not know the rules of the road but in the end it doesn't matter because they are so -checked out- they don't even notice a car behind them.
The Sanctimonious Driver: This driver hangs out in the left lane and is aware that other behind them would like to pass. They continue on at their rate of travel because they believe that they are going the fastest safe speed for the situation and therefore it's pointless for them to move over. Simply, they know best and are helping you.
The Passive Aggressive Driver: This driver not only knows you want to pass but has decided for whatever reason that they are going –to teach you a lesson- . Their motivation is simply to control you, because they have the power at the moment to do that.
The Distracted Driver: Like the Oblivious Driver this driver may or may not know the rules of the road, but rather than just being -checked out- they are preoccupied with something other than driving. Talking to passenger, on the phone, putting on makeup, eating, etc..
The Sacrificial Driver: This driver is aware they are hugging the left lane and they also know they are blocking traffic behind them. They have elected to stay in the left lane however, because they are going faster than right lane traffic. These drivers know that to let traffic by they are going to be forced to change to the right lane and risk getting blocked themselves. Instead they have elected to -sacrifice you- rather than inconvenience themselves.
There are many comments in this discussion about left lane speeders just wanting to go faster. I disagree. It's not just about "speed", it's a problem with traffic ebb and flow. For example, By not having a lane for traffic to move over for merging traffic from on-ramps it can cause a slow-down/braking chain reaction trying to allow those mergers onto the freeway. If the left lane has just one hugger doing 55mph in a 65mph zone it can cause a wave of slow-downs and traffic stacking. If you disagree with this then consider what happens to normal flowing traffic if there is just one Highway patrol car way off the side of the road with it's lights on. People slow down assuming they'll get to see blood, gore, wreckage, etc even if they're heading in the opposite direction. It's not unlike the flow characteristics of water or air thru a tube. All it takes is one small obstruction and the pressure behind the "head" increases - it's no different.

On a lighter note, for all of us who despise the left lane huggers, here is a good video showing a highway patrolman whom has finally had enough of this left lane hugger. Watch as he turns his lights on to force the lane hugger out of the left lane and into the slow lane, then he simply takes off. This is priceless and this officer should be commended: Police pull over slow driver - YouTube **warning: there are 2 instances of foul language in this video from the person recording it, however just turn down your audio - the video is worth the watch.**
94-Newmar Kountry Star 40-KSDP
Spartan/Cummins 8.3C-300HP/Allison 3060 WTEC-II/25yr RV Tech RVIA Certified/Onan-Cummins Certified
94-Newmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 AM   #51
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Originally Posted by so47 View Post
Florida tried to pass a similar law a few years back, but it didn't make it, which is a shame. I think people who putter along in the passing lane and refuse to get over and allow other drivers to pass are begging for a road rage incident and too oblivious to realize it.
Excuse me Florida now has the law. NOw to all the people that think running in the left lane is fine, think about this It's called the passing lane. Wonder how it got that name.... Hummmmm might be if you ain't passing someone then get out of that lane ...... Simple
Capn_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:42 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ga State Patrol does not stop drivers unless they are at least 15MPH over limit. Judges will not prosecute for less than that. Ga also has a super speeder law for anyone over, I think, 20MPH over limit and fines can be fairly steep, including loss of license after third offense.
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
Wizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #53
Fleetwood Owners Club
Campdaven, George was right and for your poll I don't see it making a big difference!

The big issue that is being missed is all the stop lights that I approach that turn green! Talk about malfunction, why call them Stop Lights!
Tim & Mary Discovery 40X. Chevy Tahoe. RVM32
"I've been lost now, days uncounted..."GFR"
huntnski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:16 AM   #54
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
They passed this law in Colorado awhile back, hasn't made a lot of difference. There are always going to be those self-appointed speed control freaks, who feel it is their job to ride left and keep speeders behind. I drove over 40,000 miles a year around Denver and Colorado and found the law change had NO effect.
Judy & Ralph, w/Molly (the Westie) & Sadie (the Fourche Terrier)
2011 Ford F350 6.7 Lariat
2013 Infinity 3850RL
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #55

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It's fairly simple... If there are people passing you on the right you are in the wrong lane. If the lane ahead of you is clear, vehicles are stacked up behind you, then you might think about moving to the right if there is a lane there.

It matters not that you are doing the speed limit or even speeding in the left lane(s). If others want to get by, move over.

"If people are passing you on the right, you are in the wrong lane."

When I drive, be it my car or RV or anything else, my goal is to not impede traffic flow. I do this out of courtesy to the other drivers on the road. I do this for my safety and for the safety of all on the road. I am retired and not in a hurry. I drove this way before I retired. People driving in the hammer lane and being passed on the right create hazards for all on the road. And people in the middle of three lanes, being passed on the right and left, create hazards for all on the road.

Be safe out there. Are you really in that much of a hurry?

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #56
Vintage RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It's fairly simple... If there are people passing you on the right you are in the wrong lane. .
Maybe not always....

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote