Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
A new law will have minimal impact. Society has a developed a "me" mentality. Everything should evolve around "me". It may sound simplistic to some, but what we all need to do is return to a "golden rule" society. This would end many of society's problems!
Right on!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #72
doc

Appalachian Campers
Question

[QUOTE=slickest1;1966643]When I took my drivers test many moons ago I was taught then that you stay left unless you are passing. I thought it was already the law.
QUOTE]

Are you sure?? Passing on the right is usually a no-no!

I am glad to see this if it can be enforced. I cannot say how many times I have been on 316 and have a slug in the left lane running along side a driver in the right lane and clogging up the entire road. Ninety percent of the time the left lane driver is on a cell phone, yakking away and oblivious to everything else. sadly but I am guessing that 80 percent of those drivers are female. Jump if you wish, but truth is truth. If I was still working, there would be no warnings, but a citation - "sign right here on the bottom please".

Old 03-16-2014, 01:12 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1968 View Post
I think SPEEDERS should be executed in public... The LAW is the law...
So what should happen to the slower than the speed limit drivers and the ones that don't use turn signals?

I get from your post you don't break any laws?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
I was taught then that you stay left unless you are passing.
Certainly this person means right.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:09 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Certainly this person means right.
Not necessarily. I was also taught keep left unless overtaking. However, I learned to drive in England.
England (and Europe) have much better lane discipline than in the US. Over there it is illegal to pass in the slow lane unless traffic is moving slowly in queues and people DO get ticketed if caught doing so.
Fast-lane hoggers are one of my pet peeves. I have often been on an otherwise empty highway and witnessed vehicles come down the ramp and IMMEDIATELY move into the left lane and stay there.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:00 AM   #76

Considering there is only one speed on freeways regulated by signage, where do you find the proper speed listing for each lane? All I see is two listings, one for daylight and one for night in my state, and it refers to all lanes, not just one. When one gets into this fast lane, they stay there on fast. I guess you don't get a ticket for speed in fast lanes because you are doing just fast only.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:16 AM   #77

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne MD View Post
Considering there is only one speed on freeways regulated by signage, where do you find the proper speed listing for each lane? All I see is two listings, one for daylight and one for night in my state, and it refers to all lanes, not just one. When one gets into this fast lane, they stay there on fast. I guess you don't get a ticket for speed in fast lanes because you are doing just fast only.
Actually that is the speed limit. The max you are supposed to go. On many freeways the minimum is also posted. That is so someone on a moped doesn't get run over
Old 03-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekker View Post
I agree Ed, Keep out of the Fast lane except to pass. I also think there should be a Nation Wide ban on Radar Detectors, the ONLY reason someone would by one is they are intending to break the traffic speed laws, there is NO other reason to have one. we have a lot of deaths on the high ways from speeders here in Utah and a large portion have Radar Detectors.
Radar Detectors try to keep cops honest...To many "speed traps" around the country where communities try to balance their budgets with traffic fines. A good detector just lets you know that "trouble" may be ahead and makes you more alert. There also are detectors that will warn you of Ambulances, fire trucks, or even roadwork is ahead, just another safety feature to keep you safe.

Getting back on topic, I bet that there are more accidents caused by "slow pokes" driving in the fast lane then there are by radar detectors. I'm glad GA. is trying to pass this law, I wish ALL states had it.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 AM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
gene pool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300 View Post
Radar Detectors try to keep cops honest...To many "speed traps" around the country where communities try to balance their budgets with traffic fines. A good detector just lets you know that "trouble" may be ahead and makes you more alert. There also are detectors that will warn you of Ambulances, fire trucks, or even roadwork is ahead, just another safety feature to keep you safe.

Getting back on topic, I bet that there are more accidents caused by "slow pokes" driving in the fast lane then there are by radar detectors. .
guess they are lucky in Utah, that a certain portion of the population has radar detectors to help reduce the stupid idiot gene pool. Never knew those detectors caused accidents. actually, I got rid of mine about four years ago because their are just too many false signals nowadays so I just stay 5 mph over the limit and pay attention.

There are plenty of idiot drivers out there that think everyone behind them will stop in time, slow down or move out of the way their uneducated and stupid driving practices.
WISH LIST: Bumper Cars.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:18 AM   #80

Another sign I never saw,--"5-10mph over speed allowed without enforcement". I do see lots of Maximum speeds signs.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #81

National RV Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
GREAT LAW !!!Too many times I've seen a bottle neck of cars because an idiot in the left lane is going the same speed as one in the right lane creating a line of cars in both lanes behind them. This makes for flaring tempers, people taking chances = accidents !!
greg6746 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 PM   #82

Signalling intentions!!?? You mean that super secret lever on the side of the steering column? The last ticket I wrote for "Failure to Signal Intentions" was over 10 years before I retired. The driver showed up in court and argued that the ticket was ridiculous and the "judge" agreed and threw the ticket out. It didn't matter that this idiot had forced two other cars off the roadway and was being sued by the other drivers for damages to their cars for his actions. The municipal judge didn't use his turn signals and didn't think anyone else should have to use them either. I never wrote another of those tickets.

We didn't have any highways going through the town I worked, so didn't have to worry about the "keep right, except to pass" stuff.

BTW, most accidents involving more that one vehicle are caused by "Failure to Yield Right of Way" rather than speed. Speed is the determining factor in the seriousness of the accident.
V-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:52 PM   #83

Hey folks!

You are forgetting or neglecting the fact that a law is only as good as the enforcement.

I suspect that GA is as strapped for funds as most other LEO orgs.

The issue is moot!

Moot!
Nothing will change.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #84

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg6746 View Post
GREAT LAW !!!Too many times I've seen a bottle neck of cars because an idiot in the left lane is going the same speed as one in the right lane creating a line of cars in both lanes behind them. This makes for flaring tempers, people taking chances = accidents !!
People that get mad at that also get mad if you are anywhere that is in their way...

If you are in the right lane going the speed limit, they will ride your tail to try to intermediate you into going faster rather than passing you on the left.

People, especially younger drivers, are prone to be more aggressive today. We teach our young people to be aggressive and people will get out of your way. It is a common theme in current society to disrespect everyone. People are detached from any concern for others in this "ME" centric society today.

The more technology impedes the development of interpersonal relationships, and respect for others, the more we see things like when someone takes a gun and blows away another driver because they were not doing what they thought that they should.

I am even amazed as I read this thread just how angry people are at others, without regard for, or any understanding for what the other persons situation may be. It really don't matter because they think that other person is intentionally trying to impeding their ability to speed down the road and go faster than the other person is going.

What is really striking to me is that some folks seem to think that it is acceptable to feel this way, even a righteous cause.