Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #113

Freightliner Owners Club
MickBrennan: Why should we reply on Interstate driving techniques from a resident of Lancaster Co. PA??? Just Kiddin.. Looks like the left lane is for walking....

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:46 AM   #114

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post

Maybe we could compare not changing lanes, to being in the supermarket. If we were stopped, two or three abreast, blocking an isle, wouldn't we all move aside to allow another shopper to pass? Certainly. It's only polite.

Not at the Safeway I shop at.

Glenn

Old 04-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #115

Vintage RV Owners Club
In school I was taught that the far right lane was for getting on/off the highway or local traffic. Second from the right was for people that were not stopping in that town/city and if you had a third lane it was for cars only and trucks had to do with the other two lanes.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Maybe we could compare not changing lanes, to being in the supermarket. If we were stopped, two or three abreast, blocking an isle, wouldn't we all move aside to allow another shopper to pass? Certainly. It's only polite.

There's only one problem with your scenario, Mick. People are just as irritating and rude in the supermarket as they are on the highway. "Polite" has gone the way of the dinosaur.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:14 PM   #117
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Rockwood View Post
In school I was taught that the far right lane was for getting on/off the highway or local traffic. Second from the right was for people that were not stopping in that town/city and if you had a third lane it was for cars only and trucks had to do with the other two lanes.
In Texas, the law is "keep right except to pass." I don't know why people can't understand that; it's so simple. Of course, around Houston everyone is driving like maniacs so it's a moot point. And I have never understood why they call it "rush hour" when the freeway is jammed with cars creeping along. No "rushing" at all.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:20 PM   #118

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
This rule is enforced on most major highways in Europe.
Right, and if you, for a moment, forget to move over, believe me, someone will come up behind you fast with their headlights flashing to let you know.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Isn't it funny that road rage is being caused by those that are obeying the speed laws, versus those irresponsible people that think they own the road... Instead of cracking down on the aggressive drivers, the responsible people are going to be punished for making them mad...
what is responsible about blocking a lane? Isn't it aggressive to block a lane? If a driver wants to speed, let him. He pays the ticket and added insurance premiums. I like the idea of the law. I see traffic backed up because people aren't willing to move over.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #120

With all that has been said, I take solace in my practice of using 2-lane roads as much as is practical. With only one lane and doing the speed limit I have no issues at all.

This new law is also of no issue, as it will not be enforced.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
It's fairly simple... If there are people passing you on the right you are in the wrong lane. If the lane ahead of you is clear, vehicles are stacked up behind you, then you might think about moving to the right if there is a lane there.

It matters not that you are doing the speed limit or even speeding in the left lane(s). If others want to get by, move over.
Well said!
Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 PM   #122

Hooligans picture is correctable to freeway speeds. We could all use the lesson here about vehicles. Notice that each buggy is doing their speed levels, no one is passing and not in each others bumper. Proves it can be done. Due to the discourteous ways of drivers on freeways, it won't be long before murder and mayhem will replace the freeways. It a case of who has the bigger gun in traffic, and you better move over.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:00 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
Isn't it funny that road rage is being caused by those that are obeying the speed laws, versus those irresponsible people that think they own the road... Instead of cracking down on the aggressive drivers, the responsible people are going to be punished for making them mad...
No. Road rage is caused by people who think they have the right to enforce laws and by people who have no common courtesy.
Old 04-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #124

Why would anyone over the age of 19 get road rage because someone is driving slower than they are ? Have we all gone mad ?
What happened to live and let live ?
Old 04-05-2014, 08:24 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
Why would anyone over the age of 19 get road rage because someone is driving slower than they are ? Have we all gone mad ?
What happened to live and let live ?
The problem is not speed of travel.
Blocking the left lane aggravates those who wish to pass.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #126

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Two lane roads in TX often have wide, well-paved shoulders. As Winter Texans we've been taught that "Texas courtesy" is to drive onto the shoulder if someone would wants to pass so he doesn't have to go into the oncoming traffic lane. Most of the time I don't mind doing that since I'd rather have him pass me safely than create a hazard by riding my bumper waiting for a chance to pass. I view this "left lane issue" the same way. Why should I insist on my right to be in the left lane if other people want to go by faster? If they want to speed why is it my responsibility to prevent them from doing so? All you're doing by planting yourself in the left lane is creating a hazard that results in unsafe driving maneuvers to get around you. That's counter productive.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote